• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Increasing efficiency for 1 stick climbing

Nice video! I’m using 2 sticks with knaider/swaider but I’m going to give the one stick method an earnest try.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great video. I teamed up with 3 other saddlehunters last year to group buy one muddy stick each. Turned out to be a good purchase. Unless I'm hunting trees with lots of limbs, this is my preferred method.

Great video. This will be my method this year. Except I have a cam cleat on a helium and a Dan O stick . Just buy a cam cleat and put it on the stick you have

No need to replace your stick
The fiddle factor is huge in the dark and in cold weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Great video. I teamed up with 3 other saddlehunters last year to group buy one muddy stick each. Turned out to be a good purchase. Unless I'm hunting trees with lots of limbs, this is my preferred method.

This method shines on trees with lots of limbs just so you know. There is no restriction on where to place the stick and you can rotate to either side to manuever around branches. One reason I have stuck with it for so long.

Nice video! I’m using 2 sticks with knaider/swaider but I’m going to give the one stick method an earnest try.

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knaiders are very stable and easy to use. Swaiders can get a little shaky especially on the way down. If your really stretching on the way up, the way down will be difficult. Another reason why I prefer the simplicity of a foot loop. If you are using a permanently attached foot loop you also have less equipment to keep track of. Another option is to use a slightly longer foot loop with a knaider. Whatever works for you.

Great video. This will be my method this year. Except I have a cam cleat on a helium and a Dan O stick . Just buy a cam cleat and put it on the stick you have

Which specific cam cleat did you go with?

I'd like to put a cam-cleat on one of my Heliums to give this a try. Which cam-cleat do you recommend, and where to buy it?

Great video. Thank you for taking the time to do that.

Reinvigorated my interest in the method. I practiced it a bunch this spring and found it really simple and effective. I too just carried my Muddy in my hand and thought how crazy that this was all I needed to climb to any height that I wanted. The cam cleat really is helpful.

I also like using a Stacked Outdoors stick due to the top step surface area, but the cam buckle strap is not as easy to 1-stick with.

Problem is I like just about all these climbing methods. I practiced 3 cut Heliums with CAYGA today and it too seemed so easy and practical. Twice as heavy as 1-sticking, but nice not to have to raise tether continually. Tradeoffs as always.

I do pretty good using a bolt modded lone wolf with amsteel and 2 step webbing aider. Tie it off like a boat cleat. It’s very fast and quiet.

I'd like to put a cam-cleat on one of my Heliums to give this a try. Which cam-cleat do you recommend, and where to buy it?
I installed a Harken Cam-Matic 150 on my modified helium. I purchased mine through West Marine but I have seen them less expensive on other sites since. For rope I used 8mm Samson accessory cord from Wesspur.

Last edited:
Ronstan carbon fibre cam cleats Medium works great

So I started with the SRT method as I am used to the RAD System that we use in rescue. I recently switched to one sticking it and love it. I do how ever still use one of my 30' ropes with my Gri-Gri for my climb and daisy chain it when at height after switching over to my tether. When its time to come down I just switch back over and take my stick off and rappel down. It works pretty good for me and no fumbling around in the dark when coming down. loved the video and its a great source of info!!!

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that is was not advised to climb with the muddy sticks without a half hitch after it goes through the cam. I saw one video where when he stepped on the stick it slipped and he said the instructions said the knot is required or they will slip.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that is was not advised to climb with the muddy sticks without a half hitch after it goes through the cam. I saw one video where when he stepped on the stick it slipped and he said the instructions said the knot is required or they will slip.

A cam cleat is more likely to pull out the side than slip
IMO
It was mentioned in the original video that a knot was recommended by muddy. There is a small risk in not putting a knot on the cam cleat

Back