• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Johnny no shoulders

Jmarzey

Well i was pre setting some bolts this morning, walking through the woods thinking about other stuff. I didn’t know what it was at first, but something caught my eye and i stopped... this dude was laying 6 inches from my foot, drawed up ready to strike.

I don’t know why he didn’t bite me but thank the lord he didn’t.

I jumped back and gave him 2 claps and a Rick Flair. Needless to say I’m headed to bass pro to get snake boots..... right now
6af7b44b1bf425c1a24ae8f7f2d641a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the guys I hunt with kill snakes, so I get it. I just want to point out that you got up in his space and he never exhibited any aggression. He just laid low and hoped you walked on by. You've probably done just that to dozens if not hundreds of snakes without ever knowing it. You saw him, and you killed him for being what he was. Biologists are becoming increasingly concerned with the reduction in pit viper numbers in the US. They're a fascinating predator and a vital part of the ecosystem.

Snake bites are rare, and usually involve attempts to handle the snake. Bites are almost never fatal. You've seen first hand how reluctant venomous snakes are to bite. From a survival standpoint, it makes no sense to bite a large animal since theyll kill you before the venom kicks in anyway. Bites are a last ditch defense effort.

Make of all that what you will.

Most of the guys I hunt with kill snakes, so I get it. I just want to point out that you got up in his space and he never exhibited any aggression. He just laid low and hoped you walked on by. You've probably done just that to dozens if not hundreds of snakes without ever knowing it. You saw him, and you killed him for being what he was. Biologists are becoming increasingly concerned with the reduction in pit viper numbers in the US. They're a fascinating predator and a vital part of the ecosystem.

Snake bites are rare, and usually involve attempts to handle the snake. Bites are almost never fatal. You've seen first hand how reluctant venomous snakes are to bite. From a survival standpoint, it makes no sense to bite a large animal since theyll kill you before the venom kicks in anyway. Bites are a last ditch defense effort.

Shame... the alligator wrastler done gone soft.

;)

Shame... the alligator wrastler done gone soft.

;)
My opinion changes somewhat if he ate the rattlesnake. Andalusia, AL has an annual rattlesnake rodeo. I don't necessarily condone it, but thanks to it I do know that rattlesnake on a stick is more than a carnival gimmick. It's fingerlickin' good.

Well this is an area where my wife and dad also walk by frequently. I sure would hate for me to have kindly stepped around him, then a month from now one of them gets bit.

I’m not blaming it on that at all. It was my choice but i really didn’t have a lot of time to think about it. When I saw him drawed back so close to my foot, i drew and fired two rounds in less than a second.

And to be honest, if i would have had time to think about it I probably would have done no different.

I like snakes and alligators much more than almost all humans....I understand why people say they needed to kill the snake....I just tell the few humans I do like to call me and if I'm able to ilI come and remove/relocate

Oh man i feel ya. If i knew somebody to relocate I would have called. It may look like i just shot a snake and don’t give a daggum, but really i studied to be a wildlife biologist for 2 years prior to hitting my shoulder and losing my football career.

I remember doing several papers on pit vipers in college, and i really don’t hate snakes

I like snakes and alligators much more than almost all humans....I understand why people say they needed to kill the snake....I just tell the few humans I do like to call me and if I'm able to ilI come and remove/relocate
Yep. I don't blame my dad at all for killing the copperhead in his yard when him and my mom are in bad health and my sister who lives with them has the situational awareness of an armadillo.

I just know a friend of mine gave me grief once and asked me "Why'd you do that?" And after mulling it over, I stopped shooting them. You wont get a chance to shoot the snake that bites you before he does the deed. Chances are that rattler has been hanging around that property for quite a while without incident.

Agreed 100%,so get some snake boots and enjoy the pucker factor next time! ;-)

Besides, if it wanted to bite you then you aren't fast enough to defend yourself anyway. lol

Yep. I don't blame my dad at all for killing the copperhead in his yard when him and my mom are in bad health and my sister who lives with them has the situational awareness of an armadillo.

I just know a friend of mine gave me grief once and asked me "Why'd you do that?" And after mulling it over, I stopped shooting them. You wont get a chance to shoot the snake that bites you before he does the deed. Chances are that rattler has been hanging around that property for quite a while without incident.

Absolutely, I get it for sure, to each his own.

But, i tend to have more of a preventative outlook on things. Why would a cop lock up that old man that drives home drunk from the bar every night? He’s never hurt anyone, never had a wreck in his life.

Well the one time that guy who’s never hurt anyone crosses the center line and kills somebody... it’s too late

Absolutely, I get it for sure, to each his own.

But, i tend to have more of a preventative outlook on things. Why would a cop lock up that old man that drives home drunk from the bar every night? He’s never hurt anyone, never had a wreck in his life.

Well the one time that guy who’s never hurt anyone crosses the center line and kills somebody... it’s too late

I have a tendency to get argumentative, so I wanna go ahead and say I'm not trying to do anything other than encourage folks to think about it and make their own call. At the end of the day, I'm willing to admit that we cant all love Grizzly Adams' life and run with the wolves.

But, what would be your feelings if the cop shot the old drunk? Preventative measures are good I suppose, but taken to the extreme you have dystopian thoughts like, "What if we just cull the people with a genetic predisposition for substance abuse?" Think of the innocent lives, right?

I'll admit I'm a hypocrite. I killed a copperhead by my door mat last spring, and I've got a quarter of a million acres of swamp behind my house I could have located him to.

I have a tendency to get argumentative, so I wanna go ahead and say I'm not trying to do anything other than encourage folks to think about it and make their own call. At the end of the day, I'm willing to admit that we cant all love Grizzly Adams' life and run with the wolves.

But, what would be your feelings if the cop shot the old drunk? Preventative measures are good I suppose, but taken to the extreme you have dystopian thoughts like, "What if we just cull the people with a genetic predisposition for substance abuse?" Think of the innocent lives, right?

I'll admit I'm a hypocrite. I killed a copperhead by my door mat last spring, and I've got a quarter of a million acres of swamp behind my house I could have located him to.

I got ya bud, I get what your trying to do and i respect it Hell if you were closer I’d say we’d talk about it over a cold one lol. But the deed is done like you said. And you have my word that I’ll think about it a little harder next time.

Back