• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Flex Modifications

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
With this being a new product and what seems like so many people buying these I figured it would be good to start a mods/improvements thread. I am very happy with this saddle as it comes. My only complaint was the flex pleat not staying closed when I wanted it to. So I took it to a sew shop and had them sew in some heavy duty elastic bands to make the pleat function better. I got it back today and tried it out. Works great and fits even better than it did. Fits while walking and expands while sitting. Cost me 20 bucks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190614-140019.png
    Screenshot_20190614-140019.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 717
  • Screenshot_20190614-140043.png
    Screenshot_20190614-140043.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 708
  • Screenshot_20190614-140052.png
    Screenshot_20190614-140052.png
    888.9 KB · Views: 711
  • Screenshot_20190614-140100.png
    Screenshot_20190614-140100.png
    926.7 KB · Views: 697
Nice mod, I wouldn't be surprised to see Aerohunter incorporate that.

I really wish they would and surprised that they didn't. I'm not a real big guy but I'm not small either. When the size 2 is opened all the way up it is huge. Not a whole lot of guys need or want a saddle that big but the extra room in the tree is a nice luxury to have. A size 1 would probably fit me but would probably be less comfortable in the tree. That's the advantage I see of having a size 2 with elastic vs a size 1 without it. It can fit you at all times

Awesome mod! Can you post pics of where they sewed them in?

So if you look at the 4th pic I'll explain what your looking at. On mine I decided to sew the whole top flap shut and the elastic is sewn under the top flap. One the bottom flap the elastic is sewn into those specific locations only. So on mine only the bottom flap expands. That configuration fits me best. If you wanted the top and bottom to open they would just sew the elastic into both flaps and your elastic would have to be longer to accommodate a larger opening. Also the elastic probably wouldn't sit flat like mine does while the flaps are closed if you chose to do that. The elastic is not sewn to the strap in the middle of the flap opening. If it was it wouldn't allow the elastic to elongate. So the way I had this sewn basically takes my saddle from being about the same size as a kestrel size 2 and allows it to expand to like a 2.5.

The first few times I used mine it stayed put, but since has dropped like yours. I will likely incorporate this mod to mine. Good idea!

John H.

Ordered my flex about 3 weeks ago. Hasn’t gotten here yet but already can tell I will incorporate this mod. My only concern if it is even warranted is the stitching. Does a high strength thread need to be used when stitching these in or can common generic thread be used? Last thing I would want is my seat to start unstitching 30ft up in the air haha.

Ordered my flex about 3 weeks ago. Hasn’t gotten here yet but already can tell I will incorporate this mod. My only concern if it is even warranted is the stitching. Does a high strength thread need to be used when stitching these in or can common generic thread be used? Last thing I would want is my seat to start unstitching 30ft up in the air haha.

I'm assuming they used high strength thread. It was done in a sew shop outside of Fort Bragg and all they usually deal with is military gear. Even if it did come undone your seat isn't going to come apart. They didn't undo anything that was done by aero hunter, they just added the elastic to the stock design. I don't see it coming apart though. It seems very strong.

Mine is ordered, and this will be a good mod for me. Also, considering changing the leg buckles for the "G-Hook wavelock" style. IIRC, you really wouldn't experience a fall rating impact on these, right ?

Thanks much. Haven’t seen one yet but was curious about the possibility of premature deployment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With this being a new product and what seems like so many people buying these I figured it would be good to start a mods/improvements thread. I am very happy with this saddle as it comes. My only complaint was the flex pleat not staying closed when I wanted it to. So I took it to a sew shop and had them sew in some heavy duty elastic bands to make the pleat function better. I got it back today and tried it out. Works great and fits even better than it did. Fits while walking and expands while sitting. Cost me 20 bucks.

Genius. Idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of doing this exact thing with my saddle. If nothing else, a great tie off for the tether, and could be used for rappelling .

That was for the D loop buckle

First thing I modded was the buckle ... WARNING, you will void the warranty if you do this. Pulled the threads on both tag ends of the waist belt webbing. Added these buckles. I wanted to start tying in to my tether tag end.

http://austrialpin.net/product/d-ring-cobra-pro-style/
http://austrialpin.net/product/belt-buckles/

View attachment 13358
Not trying to hijack this post - but just want to understand this as I have seen others connect the tag end of their tether as a safety... if the ropeman cuts your tether and it breaks for - which is what some seem worried about - connecting the tag end to something wouldn't stop you from falling would it? Like I said just trying to understand not criticizing...thanks!

Back