• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Linesman's Belt gadget....

justsomedude

I got this idea from some one else and can't find the post (on Leatherwall).

I am using a Ropeman 1 Ascender on my Linesman's Belt instead of a Prusik.
It weighs 2.1oz. It is metal...I wrapped mine in a Ranger band. Going to try to stealth strip it a bit but it is an odd shape.

The huge (to me anyway) benefit is that it can be easily adjusted with one hand.
Easy to throw the rope over a limb and then adjust the belt while hanging on with your other hand...helps in 'odd trees'.

I hate having to do that maneuver where you have to use both hands to quickly tighten the Prusik while balancing on your steps.
With this, you just simply pull on the Tail end of the Rope to tighten.
To loosen, you pull out a little switch and lean away.
This is RUGGED Climbing gear and is built for way more extreme use than as a Linesman's Belt.

Downside is that they are $35, but the CONSISTENT one handed adjustment is totally worth it to me.

http://www.wildcountry.com/products/rop ... n-1/#tab-2

justsomedude said:
I hate having to do that maneuver where you have to use both hands to quickly tighten the Prusik while balancing on your steps.

Agree with this completely, also don't like using the blakes hitch for the same reason. The tree saddle lineman's belt worked great, I think I'm going to make a custom version that is lighter and smaller. My current custom version is good, but could be better.

I found it.
Here is a photo of his setup:
00small31949689.JPG

The rope goes through the Ascender.
It has a lever with one-way teeth on it.
Pulling the Tail releases the teeth and you can shorten.
Locks back down when it is loaded.
The lever has a little metal pull tab on it to help you find it (he removed his..can also be used to tether it so you don't drop when rigging..for climbers).
I just pull the lever out and then 'hip out' or move my body down to lengthen the rope as needed.

I am getting into a lot of trees that have limbs that I need to pass when climbing.
This has made it easier for me.

This is exactly like my current setup, except that I am using webbing and a cam buckle replaces the ascender.

I'm using the one stick method. I find I don't need to use the line mans belt. I do keep it with me though, just in case. I like what you've done. Looks less bulky.
I also take an extra strap in step to hang an accessory pouch from and use to hang a rifle. Also if I drop my one stick I can use it to get back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealthRopeman.JPG Fawnzy,
YES, always have a backup descent plan.
I got hung up in a tree once :)

I just Stealth Stripped my Ropeman and Camo Cloth taped my carabiner.

Last edited:
I really like that rope man idea. That's the mechanical Prussic knot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update. I made a new lineman's belt yesterday because I didn't like how the cam buckle dangled. I used the design of the tree saddle belt but used a another strap that was much ligher and I am much happier with it.
e656f2cbdbfe333faef4fb8e5b3f0598.jpg

That's not the original caribiner from the tree saddle is it Scott?

If it is, you can save at least 300#'s by switching to anything else...like any other caribiner....even one made of lead.....lol

The only company that ever gave me lightweight caribiners was Lone Wolf....every other caribiner I've ever received with harnesses, lineman belts, etc....is heavy enough to throw at a deer and kill it.

Why do they use those ridiculously heavy steel beeners? Not like aluminum ones are expensive.

By the way, love the idea of the ascender thing above, but can't find them for less than about $50. I'd definitely swithc, but that's just too much for me considering I like my trophyline belt...it's not that heavy at all with aluminum caribiners and my lw tree strap as a lineman belt is even lighter.

A prusik for lineman belt is just stupid in my opinion. Tried it once because it was what came with my LW stand....Once was all I needed to know that was ridiculous. Adjustments have to be easy....Prusik knots are great for some stuff, but lineman belts are not one of them. lol

Matty said:
That's not the original caribiner from the tree saddle is it Scott?
Yes, yes it is lol. You are right I should probably look into a lighter one. Out of all the caribiners that have been included in saddles, harnesses, etc, the tree saddle one is my favorite so I went with that. I have been buying a lot of stuff for these equipment projects lately and I was trying to make due with what I had and repurpose things... but now that I'm trying to cut ounces here you bring up a good point.

Matty said:
A prusik for lineman belt is just stupid in my opinion. Tried it once because it was what came with my LW stand....Once was all I needed to know that was ridiculous. Adjustments have to be easy....Prusik knots are great for some stuff, but lineman belts are not one of them. lol
I completely agree. That is why I like the tree saddle style so much. It is nice and easy to adjust, especially in the dark with one hand.

I TOOK MY LINESMAN BELT OFF OF MY AERO SADDLE. CURRENTLY I AM USING THE 30 FOOT LIFELINE TO GET TO MY PLATFORM. THEN I ATTACH TO THE TREE STRAP. I AM ABLE TO LEAVE THE LIFELINE AND STEPS IN MY TREE ALL SEASON....PRIVATE LAND. THIS WAY I DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING OVER BRANCHES ON THE WAY UP. MOST OF MY SET UPS ARE OVER THE 30 FOOT MARK SO I HAVE TO CLIMB A FEW STEPS BEFORE I ATTACH TO THE LIFELINE. I THINK THIS IS SAFE ????

I think the lifelines are great safety features if you have trees that you are hunting often and can leave them in. My problem is that I move around have way to many trees so its not realistic. Chuck, I would say as long as you have the lifeline set up as it is supposed to be, and are careful hooking up when you are a few feet up, you should be ok.

Matty said:
If it is, you can save at least 300#'s by switching to anything else...like any other caribiner....even one made of lead.....lol
By the way, love the idea of the ascender thing above, but can't find them for less than about $50.
A prusik for lineman belt is just stupid in my opinion.

DEFINITELY get a climbing Carabiner.
My whole Tree Strap using real 11mm Climbing Rope and the carabiner are lighter than the steel Hunter Safety carbine alone.

The "Ropeman 1" is the one you want.
They are $34.95 at Backcountry.
http://www.backcountry.com/wild-country ... BL-S8511MM
Not cheap but I like it more every time I use it.

Nice!

You'll feel better now with a way lighter beener. You might start walking an extra mile. lol

Matty said:
Nice!

You'll feel better now with a way lighter beener. You might start walking an extra mile. lol

LOL. It will certainly be easier to walk the extra mile! ;)

I have a bunch of Muddy safeline rope and would like to use it with the ropeman ascender as my lineman belt. Any idea if this will work? The Ropeman is designed for 10-13 mm rope and I can't for the life of me find out what size the muddy rope is. I even called Muddy Outdoors and they had no idea either. I measured the diameter with a tape and my best guess is that it's a 9 or 10 mm rope. Justsomedude, do you happen to have any muddy rope lying around that you could test before I pull the trigger and buy the Ropeman? Thanks in advanc

Back