• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Losing a great friend today

10essee

EEC92CBC-8EA7-407C-9609-80461A75EFFE.jpeg73F8E8C1-46CD-443F-81AC-D0378C0D5481.jpegC4646104-16E4-42E1-B0EA-58ADA3897518.jpegAA3EDF15-8DA9-4875-AFE4-C4E8DDBB4E14.jpegHis name is Pepper. My wife and I have been trying to save his life for almost 2 weeks now. He was diagnosed with a Heptacellular Carsinoma tumor on his liver that had ruptured.

The surgery wasn’t going to be easy but we elected to try as a successful surgery and recovery could’ve meant another 2 years with him. Honestly we just wanted to be able to take him back home one more time. He had his surgery last week and was doing well till yesterday evening when his back legs collapsed.

Took him back to the emergency vet and we got the call that today is the day to say goodbye. He has developed blood clots throughout this body and cut blood flow to his back half. Kidneys are shutting down as well as other organs. He’s in so much pain that it is selfish to put him through it any longer.

Some people think they are just dogs or whatever but that guy is like my child. He has been such a great friend and companion. I will miss him very much. My heart is broken.

@10essee -
Euthanizing your critically ill pet is such a difficult decision to make - but a loving one that ends your pet’s suffering. The hardest part is the void you have when your companion is gone.

It's the cancer that killed him, and it’s your love and caring that sought & took all measures available to help him ... and when it was clear he couldn't recover, it was your love that stopped his needless suffering. Knowing that doesn’t make it any easier though. All of us who have had to put down a beloved pet knows what you’re going through - and it’s tough.

I’m really sorry for your loss.

My prayers go out to you and your family brother. I've had the toughest friends I know break down when they lost their dog. I empathize with you completely. There's nothing like the loyalism of a great dog. They love us unconditionally. Godspeed Pepper!!

I lost my buddy August 6, 2022 after over 15 years together. I adopted him when he was around 1.5 years old and he almost made it to 17.

Lord Byron wrote this about his dog

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a Dog
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead November 18th 1808.

Sorry for your pain and loss. It’s never easy to lose a loved one but be thankful for all the good times you’ve shared and that their hurting is no more. It’s saddening but at least your pet had someone that truly cared and loved them as much as you do. I live in the country and it’s unbelievable that there are people that just abandon animals and hope they will be taken in by someone. I’m feeding 3 so far, yet only one actually belongs to me.

Man my heart feels for you!

I had to put my German Shepherd down about 3yrs ago. I think of her almost every day still. I remember we tried surgery to buy more time too. We were lucky and got a couple more years, and I would do it all over again. It was so worth it.

To me pets are never just pets. They are my fur sons and daughters. That void is never filled when they are gone. Know that Pepper knows he was loved and had his family with him in his final hours.

I pray that your family will be comforted soon.

View attachment 71734View attachment 71735View attachment 71736View attachment 71737His name is Pepper. My wife and I have been trying to save his life for almost 2 weeks now. He was diagnosed with a Heptacellular Carsinoma tumor on his liver that had ruptured.

The surgery wasn’t going to be easy but we elected to try as a successful surgery and recovery could’ve meant another 2 years with him. Honestly we just wanted to be able to take him back home one more time. He had his surgery last week and was doing well till yesterday evening when his back legs collapsed.

Took him back to the emergency vet and we got the call that today is the day to say goodbye. He has developed blood clots throughout this body and cut blood flow to his back half. Kidneys are shutting down as well as other organs. He’s in so much pain that it is selfish to put him through it any longer.

Some people think they are just dogs or whatever but that guy is like my child. He has been such a great friend and companion. I will miss him very much. My heart is broken.
I’d take my dogs over most people! They are an extension of the family. Sorry for your loss man! Prayers for strength for you and your family. RIP Pepper

Man my heart feels for you!

I had to put my German Shepherd down about 3yrs ago. I think of her almost every day still. I remember we tried surgery to buy more time too. We were lucky and got a couple more years, and I would do it all over again. It was so worth it.

To me pets are never just pets. They are my fur sons and daughters. That void is never filled when they are gone. Know that Pepper knows he was loved and had his family with him in his final hours.

I pray that your family will be comforted soon.
Yes sir. We only got a little while longer with him but I would do it again and never blink. It’s only money. As long as there was a chance we never gave up. Just couldn’t force him to suffer for our selfish wants of just a few more days with him. His body is gone but his soul lives in the heart of my family and I.

Man I’m so sorry. We’re facing the exact situation with our girl here in probably a few weeks. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
Thank you sir. I’m sorry to hear you may be facing the same situation. My thoughts are with you as well.

Back