• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LWCG 32" Compact Climbing Sticks

GeoFish

SH Member
Thought I would post some info on these sticks.
Fist off they are not 32" long. From the stand off bolt to bolt they are 28". The step spacing is 14" not 15". Not a big deal for me but it may be to someone.
The one thing I am questioning is the versa button location. It is 6 1/2" from the top stand off bolt, about 23% of the length. My 17" LWCG sticks and my old LW sticks place the versa button 30% to 33,% of the length down from the top stand off. Not sure why they did this?

After trying several different mini climbing sticks. I am going back to long sticks since it is easier for me to climb with them.
I can use 3 sticks and a versa aider or 3 sticks and 3 Apex steps and get 12 steps high.

I ordered 4 sticks. I hope I never need to pack 4, LOL.
Screenshot_20230711_124353_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for the message! Super odd to me they arnt the full 32”. I’m assuming the old lone wolf sticks were a full 32”. Happen to weight one of them yet? Ik pics our out there but I’d like to see a full setup, all packed up sometime! Or just sticks on the stand. Them being shorter is actually good for me since I’ve really been wanting to go 2 sticks with aiders.

Yes the old LW sticks were 30" stand off bolt to stand off.
The weight was 2 lbs 7 oz with the rubber plugs and no attachment method.
Here are some picks with the sticks above your head a little. Not me in the pic.
Screenshot_20230711_131918_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230711_151236_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The first pic is a 1.0, same length as my .75.
The second pic is a Beast stand with the sticks below.
I think this is the best way to pack them.
The mini sticks would pack better, but I had to make my decision on what was the easiest way for me to get my old butt in a tree.

While I get your concern of the versa button location, you need to go up and down a tree with them. I consider myself fairly into LWCG feedback and you're the first person to raise this worriment... or at least the first time I've read any comments regarding the button location being a problem.
The biggest improvement beside their stack-ability is the standoffs. They bite trees to another level compared to the old LW sticks.

I think you made the right choice getting 4. Depending on terrain, hunting bottoms, or even after the leaves fall off, there will be a time you'll be glad you have that extra one.

Packability is really the only issue I've run into. On my 1.0 and .75 I ran the sticks high.. meaning the long side at the top of my head. This got annoying so I attached them to the sides of a Kuiu Venture 2300. Then I got to a point of that pack really not working like I wanted so... I took a huge leap and bought a Kifaru Stryker and now, finally, at a point of zero complaints. The way I have my Stryker set up is perfect but that's another story in itself.

Like I mentioned in your previous thread, I've got a couple seasons behind me using the full sticks and they are my goto sticks out of the 3 different LWCG sets I own. I also have a pile of the old original LW sticks that stay in the woods all season and while they are similar in some ways, it's like comparing a Camaro to a Ferrari.

While I get your concern of the versa button location, you need to go up and down a tree with them. I consider myself fairly into LWCG feedback and you're the first person to raise this worriment... or at least the first time I've read any comments regarding the button location being a problem.
The biggest improvement beside their stack-ability is the standoffs. They bite trees to another level compared to the old LW sticks.

I think you made the right choice getting 4. Depending on terrain, hunting bottoms, or even after the leaves fall off, there will be a time you'll be glad you have that extra one.

Packability is really the only issue I've run into. On my 1.0 and .75 I ran the sticks high.. meaning the long side at the top of my head. This got annoying so I attached them to the sides of a Kuiu Venture 2300. Then I got to a point of that pack really not working like I wanted so... I took a huge leap and bought a Kifaru Stryker and now, finally, at a point of zero complaints. The way I have my Stryker set up is perfect but that's another story in itself.

Like I mentioned in your previous thread, I've got a couple seasons behind me using the full sticks and they are my goto sticks out of the 3 different LWCG sets I own. I also have a pile of the old original LW sticks that stay in the woods all season and while they are similar in some ways, it's like comparing a Camaro to a Ferrari.
The reason I brought up the button is;
1. Why the change from their other sticks?
2.When anyone on this forum talked about cutting down sticks, relocating the button was always mentioned, keep that 1/3 distance.
3. Then there is a Tube video where the guy talks about the LWCG double step sticks. He mentioned the button is too high and it leads to kick out of the bottom of the stick. See the 24 min section.

You're still comparing the original gear to the custom gear. I have no idea why the change but I do know that they haven't kicked out on me and are an improvement over the first generation sticks.
I don't hold much weight to one video on youtube.. that's news to me but you'll be the judge.
The only thing I can add is my experience using the sticks a bunch and not having any issues.

Back