• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My untraditional setup. Took a chance on something different and loving it.

HuumanCreed

SH Member
I'm a sucker for trying things that people tell me not to, especially if its an unknown/unpopular thing. The more people that tell me it wouldn't work, the more I'm obsess with trying it out. Most of the time it a failure but once a while you end up loving something new and glad you took a chance on something. People were telling me on the trad forums that ILF longbow would not work well, I think they are all wrong.

This is my setup for the upcoming season. A 17in Mybo Pathfinder with Wolfpaw Archery hybrid longbow limbs. 54in AMO 43# @28in. Will also be using a Mathews Detachable Web Quiver.

Was able to try out the limbs at the Baltimore Bowmen Classic and was really impressed with the draw. Then he closed the deal by showing me a veneer that I never heard of before but would match my bronze riser perfectly. African Pomele Sapele, its a type of mahogany. Beautiful!

It is sooooo smooth. And damn sexy! First day shooting it and I'm happy with the result at 20 yards.

1686232404227.png
1686232423974.png
1686232443447.png
1686232471420.png

Last edited:
Sweet looking rig you’re running there. What hunting arrow set up are you using? Length, spine, insert weight, broadhead weight, broadhead?

Sweet looking rig you’re running there. What hunting arrow set up are you using? Length, spine, insert weight, broadhead weight, broadhead?
So I'm still undecided about that. Right now I got 2 arrows that are flying straight based on how I have the strike pad built out. Will be using 150gr Magnus Killer Bee buzzcut.

Carbon Express XSD .204 diameter 500 spine at 28in. with 175 grain (25insert+150point)

Easton Bowfire standard diameter 400 spine at 31.5in full length with 250 grains (100insert+150point)

At 43lbs, I wanted as much FOC as logical. But I'm wondering if 175 grain is enough for whitetails, since I'm a little more accurate with the faster arrow.

My eyes and the compound bow shooting part of my brain get a little nervous watching the slow arch of the high FOC arrow. It just feel like the deer have time to take a smoke break with the time it take my arrow to get to them.

If both arrows tune and fly good shoot the one you are most accurate and have the most confidence hitting the critter with. Either will kill deer.

That veneer wood makes a pretty good duck call too. Love the wood choice!!

Saw I think on here a guy put ukka super curves on a pathfinder. That bow was SICK!!!!

How does the noise compare to recurve limbs?

I just picked up a used set of Das lb limbs for a DX5 riser that I am waiting on a string to try out.

Yesterday I alternated between the longbow limbs without any silencing done to it and a set of Samick Discovery R1 limbs with full silencing setup at the same poundage. I can personally hear the different in sound and the longbow sound better, but my son who was standing 15 yards away said they were almost the same except they sound differently. The longbow had a more 'thig' sound while the recurve was more of a 'thump'.

But I have done the same sound test with while the recurve limbs were stock VS silenced. So its possible to make a recurve almost as quiet as a longbow, but in the end I don't think it bother the deer much. Just shoot what you like.

Yesterday I alternated between the longbow limbs without any silencing done to it and a set of Samick Discovery R1 limbs with full silencing setup at the same poundage. I can personally hear the different in sound and the longbow sound better, but my son who was standing 15 yards away said they were almost the same except they sound differently. The longbow had a more 'thig' sound while the recurve was more of a 'thump'.

But I have done the same sound test with while the recurve limbs were stock VS silenced. So its possible to make a recurve almost as quiet as a longbow, but in the end I don't think it bother the deer much. Just shoot what you like.
Thig has got to be there best way to describe that bow sound, I could almost hear it as I read it lol

I have the das lb limbs on an ilf riser and with regular old cat whiskers it is pretty quiet paired with a 10 gpp arrow or heavier.

Dependent on the amount of speed loss that you're willing to sacrifice, silencing options are available. I'm running a recurve with two sets of string silencers (one set at the quarter points and one at the tertiary points) on a 8125 string (16 strand, I think) with about an 11 gpp arrow, and it's a whisper!

Dependent on the amount of speed loss that you're willing to sacrifice, silencing options are available. I'm running a recurve with two sets of string silencers (one set at the quarter points and one at the tertiary points) on a 8125 string (16 strand, I think) with about an 11 gpp arrow, and it's a whisper!
Can you post a video from the side of you shooting it? I’m curious what whisper sounds like and means to others. My bow is pretty quiet but I may try to silence it some more.

Back