• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Bow Advice

CZMark

SH Member
Okay, for reasons I won't go into, I've been out of bow hunting for quite a few years and got back into it this past season. My bow is 12 years old and I am looking for a new one. This may seem more like a post for Archery Talk, but I avoid that site like I avoid Facebook.

I am considering a new Mathews, mostly because they are made in my home state. I am a Bowtech fan, but willing to consider all options. Price is of minimal consideration. If you were in my shoes, what would you buy?

i baught the triax an i love it 28 inch ata an Extremely fast an really quiet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You really cant go wrong with any new compound they all shoot and tune amazing. If I were in the market it would be a lot tougher decision than I would want it to be. PSE has the best cam system on the market right now but with that in mind Mathews is still the top dog for all around bow (quiet, smooth, balanced, dead in the hand). Mathews Vertix, PSE Evoke 31, Bowtech Realm X, Hoyt RX3 would be my list.

I went in brand blind last year and shot all the top 2018 bows and walked out with the Mathews Triax. I absolutely love the bow and can shoot it better than any of the other bows I have owned.

G5 Prime would be at the top of my list. Centergy or a CT3/5 would be ones i'd be looking at. Or if you're a longer draw guy an older Rival would be a great intro to Prime bows.

I use to shoot Mathews when I worked at a bow shop and got a great deal on them. The last one I owned was a Monster 6. They make great bows but so does all the other manufacturers. Shoot as many bows as you can and get the one the feels good to you. I'm shooting a Martin Rytera Alien Z it was the top of the line bow back when I got it which was quite a few years ago. It still shoots great so no need to change and it gets the job done.

for me the issue issue always been draw length and being able to set it up myself. I need a 24.5 inch pull length. In the last couple of years, that has been of less concern. When diamond first came out with the razors edge they won a customer in me. user adjustable without a press. I don't buy the most expensive bow, but what i do buy is a primary bow and a backup. I just retired my razors edge in 2017 (now doing duty for my wife and the backup is my sons first bow) Presently I am using the diamond infinite edge pro. Not the most advanced bow, not the bow with the lowest carry weight..but it does the job.

Being a lefty, most bow shops do not have a demo to shoot. Which stinks other wise I would like @Apex7 said, shoot every bow out there and you will know which one is for you!

Being a lefty, most bow shops do not have a demo to shoot. Which stinks other wise I would like @Apex7 said, shoot every bow out there and you will know which one is for you!

I am a lefty, but converted to shooting right-handed years ago (dominant right eye). This is great advise-thanks to you and @Apex7. There is a shop about an hour from my house where I can shoot quite a few bows, I need to make the drive.

I have a Mathews Vertix right now. Its a nice bow. very quiet and vibe free. My favorite bow of recent years was the Bowtech RealmX. It shot so good and was amazingly smooth. Unfortunately, I sold it to fund the Vertix. I might pick another one up used....

I have a Mathews Vertix right now. Its a nice bow. very quiet and vibe free. My favorite bow of recent years was the Bowtech RealmX. It shot so good and was amazingly smooth. Unfortunately, I sold it to fund the Vertix. I might pick another one up used....

Are you saying you would rather have the RealmX than the Vertix? One of the bows I was considering is the RealmSS.

Are you saying you would rather have the RealmX than the Vertix? One of the bows I was considering is the RealmSS.

I am still getting acquainted with the Vertix. But at this point ....yes.

I shot a Bowtech Old Glory for nearly fifteen years. I just purchased a new bow, a Realm X. Bowtech or Mathews... makes no difference. Just great bows. I went with the Bowtech again because it is just easier to tune. I do not have to purchase top hats (I think that is what they are called) and the Realm X is very easy to micro tune by twisting yoke strings. It is a dream to shoot. The draw cycle and back wall are a major improvement over my old bow. Better balanced as well. I shot the new Mathews; I think the Vertix. Very nice, but I liked the draw cycle of the Realm X better. Either way you can't go wrong. My Bowtech was a leftover, so I got a great deal on it. Saved a few hundred bucks. Pete

I am a lefty, but converted to shooting right-handed years ago (dominant right eye). This is great advise-thanks to you and @Apex7. There is a shop about an hour from my house where I can shoot quite a few bows, I need to make the drive.
Good luck and take your time with your decision and don't let anybody pressure you into a bow. What ever fits you and feels good.

I would go to Archery Talk and check our what they recommend, then see what the experts say on Facebook. Just before my head exploded I would go have strings put on my old bow and start practicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you are comfortable tuning your own bow, there are ripping deals on Archerytalk. That is where I purchased my new bow. Was going to buy a lightly used Realm for $550. The guy who was selling it was a small dealer in the midwest, and after talking with him, I ended up with a Realm X. Purchased it from him brand new for for $750 shipped to my door. That bow would have cost me $1100 plus 6.25% tax here in Mass.

You can find bows there that are one or two years old for almost half price of new. Many guys there are buying and selling bows multiple times a year.

Here is a pic of the last bow I will probably will ever purchase :)

20190118_072258.jpg

Down here where I'm at, money is always an object. So, if I were in the market for a "new" bow, I would look at a good clean used one that is a couple of years old. The price difference is substantial. The leftover money could be spent on saddle hunting equipment or gas for all of the necessary scouting trips between now and green up. This, coming from somebody who shoots a '07 Hoyt Vectrix...

Back