• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to the saddle

Snacks

Hello from Massachusetts,
Im new to the forum and to saddle hunting as a whole. I’ve hunted the past 3 years and have mainly used a climber but have always been intrigued by the mobility and versatility of saddle hunting.
I’m going to be using a black diamond rock harness with a modded sit drag for the saddle, helium short sticks with aiders.
I’ve been running through the forums and doing hours upon hours of research.
My question here is what is the best budget platform? I’m a bigger guy, 6’2 220lbs. Is it worth attempting a DIY platform or am I better off looking for a used platform or just investing in a new one. I’d prefer something with a small, light profile but I wouldn’t shy away from something that has a few extra pounds on it.
Thanks in advance and good luck to all this season
Snacks

Well, hate to burst your bubble but saddle hunting and budget don't really belong in the same sentence . That said there are deals to be had. If you trust your fabricating skills then have at the diy route. @DanO sells the parts at Eastern Woods Outdoors. If you're looking for something smaller and light check out the OOAL solo scout. @Red Beard uses one and really likes it. I use a ridge runner and won't be switching anytime soon and I'm your exact dimensions.

Welcome to the forum. I use a Primal step that I attached a piece of aluminum to the top, about $10 total. If I had $179 burning a hole in my pocket I would buy a Predator platform.

Last edited:
Well, hate to burst your bubble but saddle hunting and budget don't really belong in the same sentence . That said there are deals to be had. If you trust your fabricating skills then have at the diy route. @DanO sells the parts at Eastern Woods Outdoors. If you're looking for something smaller and light check out the OOAL solo scout. @Red Beard uses one and really likes it. I use a ridge runner and won't be switching anytime soon and I'm your exact dimensions.
Ive seen that from reading up on everything haha. My plan was to get a “budget” set up to make sure I liked saddle hunting before I went balls deep, but that’s why guys buy and sell right!

Welcome to the forum. I use a Primal step that I atteched a piece of aluminum to the top, about $10 total. If I had $179 burning a hole in my pocket I would buy a Predator platform.
Now that a good idea. I have the skills to build things, I just don’t have the ideas. I’ve seen plenty of great ones on here so far.

Yup. I've gone through several platform/standing methods. Just trial and error. You should be able to find some good kit in the classifieds

Now that a good idea. I have the skills to build things, I just don’t have the ideas. I’ve seen plenty of great ones on here so far.
I think I saw where someone else just used a piece of 2 inch angle aluminum which is easier to get. Plywood attached to the top should work as well.
It works so well, I can't really see buying another platform. There is nothing I don't like about it functionally. It seems to be lighter than most commercial platforms. I wish it weighed 4 ounces but I am thinking of a sub 1 lb build.

Here is a video of me attaching it while up a tree.

Last edited:
Welcome from Maryland! I would just buy a platform & if you don’t stick with it you can recoup your money. I was never happy with Diy platforms I tried at my weight (270). The closest I had for successful diy was a klemz platform but it was too small & wasn’t a significant savings over what’s now commercially available. I just picked up the TL mission & it’s a little lighter weight version of the original LW Assassin.

Welcome from Maryland! I would just buy a platform & if you don’t stick with it you can recoup your money. I was never happy with Diy platforms I tried at my weight (270). The closest I had for successful diy was a klemz platform but it was too small & wasn’t a significant savings over what’s now commercially available. I just picked up the TL mission & it’s a little lighter weight version of the original LW Assassin.
I’ve been pricing out parts to make a few different designs and seems like buying one straight up isn’t much more money. I may try the primal step mod like @bj139 mentioned because of how cheap it is before I purchase one.

Hello from Massachusetts,
Im new to the forum and to saddle hunting as a whole. I’ve hunted the past 3 years and have mainly used a climber but have always been intrigued by the mobility and versatility of saddle hunting.
I’m going to be using a black diamond rock harness with a modded sit drag for the saddle, helium short sticks with aiders.
I’ve been running through the forums and doing hours upon hours of research.
My question here is what is the best budget platform? I’m a bigger guy, 6’2 220lbs. Is it worth attempting a DIY platform or am I better off looking for a used platform or just investing in a new one. I’d prefer something with a small, light profile but I wouldn’t shy away from something that has a few extra pounds on it.
Thanks in advance and good luck to all this season
Snacks
I’d keep your eyes on the classifieds here. There is always predators for sale on here. That’s what I ran I’m 235 loved it. I think they are three pounds. Can get nice predator pack for them. I sold mine tho and went with one stick with scout and artisan platform. I got my ultra lite stick from danO EWO. Stick was little pricy but worth it. Gen 2 predators could expect to pay 160-140 on here. Tethrd also just come out with the XL predator don’t know if they are on sell yet but they seem legit also.

Welcome, I have only been saddle hunting for a year myself. And been on here for about the same. This forum has been most helpful both prior to and since I got my set-up. If you take the time to look around on here, there's almost no question you can't find an answer to. A great source of ideas, advice, and answers from fellow diaper monkeys. My biggest advice is to get familiar and comfortable with your equipment through lots of practice and be safe by always taking your time and thinking about what you're doing. Rushing and getting complacent are your biggest enemies.

Welcome from MA Z9/Z5 and LFD! My 2nd year in a saddle went with an H2 and love it. DIY stand seat platform. Using screw ins and ladder stix but coming into a used set of cut down heliums from a guy on my dept. Lots of info and great guys on this site! Good Luck!

LFD, I used to work for an ambulance service that serviced an LFD, wonder if it’s the same. I’m Z9/Z10. I just picked up a set of 20” helium’s and they’re awesome so far. I’m MFD.
Good luck this season!

Back