• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NEW ways to lighten everything

Kevin2

Hoping you can share specific ways you've lightened your over all load you take in saddle hunting...

I found several ways to lighten my "mobile" Lone Wolf hand climber set up, mainly by going to a saddle and 1 sticking. Looking for new ways to lighten that AND everything we bring into the stand. Anything that lightens up the load, even as little as a portion of an ounce can add up over several items. Clothing, bow, anything we take in to the woods, I'm looking for ideas to shed more oz OR pounds!

I was considering using suspenders this year, as I had an issue with sag at times. Saw the Tethrd ones looked nice, then I stumbled upon a youtube video that mentioned using your tether OR linesmen belt over the shoulder and neck connected to both sides of the saddle to do basically the same thing. NOT sure it will be comfortable, but I'll try it before buying suspenders AND adding more weight to my overall haul in.

Here are a few of the ways I've shed weight over the years.

Dumped my back pack, and just carry most everything in my pockets of my pants and jackets.
Really looked at everything in my pack in and determine if i really use it OR need it. NO, I dumped it.
Replaced all sort of items with lighter versions. My knives are most significant. Found the lightest thing on the market.
Dumped my leather wallet for a cuben wallet. Saved a bunch, including dumping all but what is needed to hunt, license ID and tags!

GOT to be loads of ways to further the weight loss...Trust me, it is so much better hunting and hiking in without all the excess LBS.

added later...

As for my set up, I used on 100% public ground-1/2 to 2 miles in.
- Latitude Method 2,
-2 Tethrd dump pouches - dumping 1 for next season = 5.3oz savings
-1lb Shikar Mini stick
- LWCG .5 as my platform WHEN I take one, used the Shikar on short sits!
-Latitude Tether
-9mm Dynamic Sterling repel (I was having issues getting up the tree when first 1 sticking AND ended up using both the repel and tether to get me up the tree!) IF I use the repel this coming year, I'm shortening my rope by 15 feet = 9.2oz savings
- 2 light pull up ropes 1 doubles as repel pull down rope
-iphone 6 (which is pretty light as iphones go I found)
-2 zip ties
-1 zebralight uses 18650 battery & 1 extra battery = 2.8oz savings
-Elite Synergy 4.4lbs buying the Bowtech Zion -1.1lbs savings for sure
-Garmin Xero 14.7 oz replacing with Single Pin StarFlight OR b3 Exact Hunter at 4oz! 10.7 oz savings + 4.2 range finder= 6.5 net savings!
-Hamskea 5.2oz AND already have the VaporTrail Pro VX at 2.7oz = 2.5oz savings
-wrist release - already cut the extra leather and strap off it! LOL
-range finder 2.5oz savings
-dumped by GPS for OnX OFFLINE maps in December HAD no idea I already had that on my OnX! 5oz savings
LONG Disance OR unknown hunts I bring

1 light knife & gut hook by Buck (lightest made a few years ago) = 1oz savings
1 zip lock with TP and rubber gloves
1 deer drag rope handle RARE I take it!

Think that is everything but clothing.

3.26lbs savings so far!

Switching to NO Sticking, as suggested above, and using my plateform to get up the tree is brilliant and would be a huge savings. No repel and savings on the plateform I use now. Very seriously looking at this.

Cuben Wallet 5.jpg

Last edited:
Hoping you can share specific ways you've lightened your over all load you take in saddle hunting...

I found several ways to lighten my "mobile" Lone Wolf hand climber set up, mainly be going to a saddle and 1 sticking. Looking for new ways to lighten that AND everything we bring into the stand. Anything that lightens up the load, even as little as a portion of an ounce can add up over several items. Clothing, bow, anything we take in to the woods, I'm looking for ideas to shed more oz OR pounds!

I was considering using suspenders this year, as I had an issue with sag at times. Saw the Tethrd ones looked nice, then I stumbled upon a youtube video that mentioned using your tether OR linesmen belt over the shoulder and neck connected to both sides of the saddle to do basically the same thing. NOT sure it will be comfortable, but I'll try it before buying suspenders AND adding more weight to my overall haul in.

Here are a few of the ways I've shed weight over the years.

Dumped my back pack, and just carry most everything in my pockets of my pants and jackets.
Really look at everything in my pack in and determine if i really use it OR need it. NO, I dumped it.
Replaced all sort of items with lighter versions. My knives are most significant. Found the lightest thing on the market.
dumped my wallet, bought the lightest wallet on the planet! Saved a bunch, including dumping all but what is needed to hunt, license ID and tags!

GOT to be loads of ways to further the weight loss...Trust me, it is so much better hunting and hiking in without all the excess LBS.

Add a really good pack back in. You can pack your saddle (no suspenders needed), and even heavier loads carry much lighter.

Rarely carry binos OR knifes either. Got a Garmin Xero, so unless I'm using my compact bow with super light sight OR crossbow, I don't carry a range finder much anymore either. What kind of strap?

I don't Cary binos a rang finder or extra knife. i ditch my wallet ,just take tags ,used to ditch my phone but now i like to take pictures.i use straps instead of ropes for my linemens and teather.ropes are heavyer wet.

Find items to use for multiple uses. For example I used to carry an extra strap to hang my bow, pack and quiver on once I was at hunting height. I decided to ditch the extra strap and use my LB to hang my stuff off of, I never use my LB once I’m at hunting height anyway.

If you’re one sticking and setting a platform at height, learn how to “no stick” climb with just your platform. I attached the aider that was on my one stick setup and connected it straight to my platform and started climbing that way. Can lose a couple pounds if you ditch the stick.

I try and use gear that has more than one purpose, no single purpose items. Range finder WITH magnification for example. Or if I haven’t used an item in more than a few hunts it gets ditched. One of the main reasons I switched to one sticking and back to rappelling, ditched the pack for a fanny which purposely keeps my load out minimal. Rappelling I use one rope to climb, hang and descend so that’s helpful. Really reduced the amount of clothes I have as well, merino for baselayer year round, mid layer that also serves as outer layer early season and a heavier layer for the outer layer in late season that could also be the single layer in mid season. I’ve gone from two tubs of gear to a single Scentlok large duffle. I would 2TC if I wasn’t so uncoordinated

I considered trying this next year with my lonewolf handclimber seat. NOT sure how safe it is. Going to look at it, one way or another. Will only save me 1lb on the stick AND the weight for the aider, but that is a good amount. Thanks, great idea...

Find items to use for multiple uses. For example I used to carry an extra strap to hang my bow, pack and quiver on once I was at hunting height. I decided to ditch the extra strap and use my LB to hang my stuff off of, I never use my LB once I’m at hunting height anyway.

If you’re one sticking and setting a platform at height, learn how to “no stick” climb with just your platform. I attached the aider that was on my one stick setup and connected it straight to my platform and started climbing that way. Can lose a couple pounds if you ditch the stick.

Rarely carry binos OR knifes either. Got a Garmin Xero, so unless I'm using my compact bow with super light sight OR crossbow, I don't carry a range finder much anymore either. What kind of strap?

Garmin 0 = 14.7oz

Leupold RX2800 => 7.9oz + Truefire Carbon Extreme => 4.2oz, together = 12.1 oz

Lighter doesn't mean better...unless it does.

I mean how can lighter be better with everyone riding this Ranch Fairy?

But seriously, where are you struggling with your setup most? If we get to know your prederences, we can advise within that context.

For example, I could lighten my setup by hunting off a Ring Of Steps, but I couldn't then stand up and turn around as I prefer to do, so it's not a negotiable option.

How do you hunt/want to hunt?

darlac wood saw can take out any branch you're likely to need cut and weighs like 3 ounces (edit: looked it up and weighed mine, it's actually 1.2 ounces, which is crazy light), just be careful with it because handle is plastic, but it has been fine for 2 seasons

these pruning shears weigh a few ounces and work fine for usual stuff

a lot people carry huge wood saws and pruners that are better for yard work, overnight camping, or a survival situation....and not taking out some briars and a branch the size of your thumb

water is pretty heavy, the most i take now is a mini gatorade bottle....unless it is really hot and then my pack is lighter anyways....also, snacking in the tree is overrated....most i bring is 2 protein granola bars....plus all that eating and drinking makes you have to go to the bathroom when in the stand

i ditched the doyle gear hoist and just use paracord in a figure 8 no-tangle pattern

went to an internal frame pack to save weight over external frame

all my carabiners are petzl spirit screw locks which are ultra small and light

all my ropes are oplux or rescutech

pack is organized with ultralight mesh sacks from sea to summit brand

i have one really bright fenix headlamp (i think like 1200 lumens) but my backup is a super small petzl zipka, i only carry 1 set of backup batteries for each

i remove my survival and emergency rain gear as needed based upon weather and what i'm doing that day

Last edited:
I daisy chained the last 18ft (for a 7ft chain ) of a 45ft piece of zingit 2.2mm. That is now my throw line, pull up rope, gear hanger, rappel rope line and game hoist line. With 2 micro pulleys, alien loop, 3 #3s biners and bow hook, its all less than 6 oz and takes out 3 or 4 items.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I think it kinda depends on where u are hunting and how....are u going deep into public or u on a couple hundred acre private? I could lighten my stuff up significantly but the places and how I do things I take some luxury items I could probably do away with and make by but I weight the pros and cons....do I "need" a grapple hook and a whistle in a pouch in my saddle? No I don't need them but I take them every hunt...never used the whistle (that's a good thing :)) but I have used the grapple a handful of time and it was a blessing...it's hard work climbing up after u walked 5 miles....do I "need" trail markers and an extra prusik and rain gear on every hunt....no, but they still go. Lay all ur gear out on a table and really evaluate if it's a useful item....it takes a while to get ur system ironed out but once u get it figured, u can always tinker but leave the main components alone and get proficient with it
Everybody gave good advice and trying to multipurpose what u take already and I could probably take that advice and re re re evaluate everything...I'm sure there's something I could loss....hahaha
Water is the big weight item for me.....I gotta take it and it heavy...no getting around it

Not taking a backpack is a really quick way for u to get ur stuff down to bare bones

Back