• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NutterBuster's 7oz Pocket Tether

Nutterbuster

SH Member
A lot of guys have asked about this component in my saddle setup. Please be advised that a tether is a very critical piece of equipment, and its failure will most likely result in serious injury or death. My tether is NOT up to the oft-mentioned 22.5-23kn (5,000lb) rating that is commonly seen across different industries with regards to life support systems. The buckle I am using (http://austrialpin.net/product/ansi-cobraframe-release-d-ring/) is rated for 18kn, as is all the 1" tubular nylon webbing I have come across.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

That being said, 4,000lbs is still a lot, and I think that my setup is much safer than a lot of setups I have seen. I personally think that tubular nylon is a much better option than hardware store rope or 550 cord, and it is very cheap at less than a dollar per foot. A lot of guys are already using it for aiders and saddle bridges.

This tether is very easy to construct. I am using a simple, overhand on a bight knot with a stopper on the tag end. Many hunters (myself included) are using this knot on their bridges already. I do not run a carabiner on my tether; the buckle just lives on my bridge and I thread my tether through it when I hookup. This takes a comparable amount of time to locking a screwgate biner.

Very interesting. I’m not sold on it yet because I do have several slacked moments while I hunt. ...But dat packability!

Very tempting. Where did you get that tubular webbing? I've gotten mine off amazon, but dont remember seeing a weight rating. Just that it was good for climbing purposes.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Very tempting. Where did you get that tubular webbing? I've gotten mine off amazon, but dont remember seeing a weight rating. Just that it was good for climbing purposes.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

f2f67fa84ea1f86ed6c0bbf36283c88a.jpg
8ef0cdb0b873d691b02249c34299ea9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Understand the cinching up when tied in. How difficult is it to let slack out and adjust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Nutterbuster thanks for posting that. When I saw it at saddlepalooza I really liked it. One always has to think about safety and take responsibility for their own.

I'm sold. About 1/4 of the size and weight (estimation) of my current teather setup. Just the extra room in my pack will make it worth it. I already use a webbing bridge so I trust it and I never have slack in my tether with my current system. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice system. I would caution folks wanting to try it that the buckle is not autolocking like a Ropeman is.

So let's say you slip while adjusting it, you can't rely on it biting on the webbing. Heck I don't even rely on the Ropeman automatically biting.

So do use that stopper knot!

Very nice system. I would caution folks wanting to try it that the buckle is not autolocking like a Ropeman is.

So let's say you slip while adjusting it, you can't rely on it biting on the webbing. Heck I don't even rely on the Ropeman automatically biting.

So do use that stopper knot!
This is good info. I played with it for a couple of days at ground level before I climbed with it, and I was unable to induce a slip. But I'll also say that once I ininitially set my drape, I usually do not touch it again. Just how I roll.

I've considered just using rope/webbing attached to a ring on my bridge, and just tying off instead of hitching. This would allow you to set your drape on the tree, but then you'd be committed to it. Would propably work better on something like the guidos or JX3.

I think I'm gonna have to try this. Wish I had got a chance to check it out at saddlepalooza!

I think I'm gonna have to try this. Wish I had got a chance to check it out at saddlepalooza!
Yeah, you mentioned you wanted to see those bolts too. Too many people; we missed each other!

It's a pretty cheap system to try out. $20 for the buckle and whatever webbing costs you. I think most of us have a couple feet of it lying around somewhere.

I would probably back the buckle up by hooking into the tail end. It would still be much more compact than a rope tether.
Yes, backing it up is very easy. Like I mention in the video, you can also attach a biner to the d ring. I started off with a carabiner "taped" to the ring with vet wrap so it didn't move or rattle. I had a loop tied in the tag end, and would run that loop through the biner as well. That way if the adjuster bar on the buckle failed I would still be hooked in.

Man I like it. Wondering...Is there an expected loss of strength due to the knots with the web like there is with rope?

Back