• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

old hunter

Archer19422

I started hunting when I was 14 at 63 I stopped using a tree climbing stand and switched to a trees saddle and one sticking. I have to say that one sticking is a whole lot lighter than carrying a portable tree climber. I have read a lot of post about one sticking and rappelling ( yes I rappel at 66 ) and I cant help but wonder how many guys at my age are one sticking and rappelling in their 60's and above.

I turn 60 this year. I've been one sticking and rappelling exclusively for several years now. I dont see myself changing anytime soon. I don't find the climb to be strenuous and the gear has a small footprint. Add to that the fact that I can climb just about any tree I would want to hunt out of and its the best mobile solution for me.

I find it funny to watch the younger guys I hunt with see me go up a tree they look at me and say man when I reach your age I hope I can still climb trees, they always ask at what age do you think you will stop hunting. My answer is always the same, when I die.

Havent quite hit the 60 mark but have a lot of years climbing trees for deer hunting. I just wish I had known such a climbing system could have been used in the late 70's when I started climbing. I would have never hunted any other way.

I just finished my first full season with my Cruzr XC and loved every minute of it. :) I have all the gear to rappel and I'm going to make my first "one stick" climb, this weekend.
TODAY, is my first full day of retirement! :cool: I'm looking forward to another season of deer hunting with a lot more hours to do so. If I get "tagged out" early, I may do some goose hunting.

I just finished my first full season with my Cruzr XC and loved every minute of it. :) I have all the gear to rappel and I'm going to make my first "one stick" climb, this weekend.
TODAY, is my first full day of retirement! :cool: I'm looking forward to another season of deer hunting with a lot more hours to do so. If I get "tagged out" early, I may do some goose hunting.
Congrats @BowhunterXC ! Enjoy it!

I have been retired for a couple years and it not all peaches and cream.
When you are retired, you have 6 Saturdays and a Sunday. Sometimes it's hard to remember which Saturday it is, LOL.
Also, if you tag out, you can always take an out of state trip.

I'm 62 soon to be 63 in a few months or so and been saddlehunting since the 80s. Used sticks and rope on steps for years. I just never got into the one stick deal. I really don't need to make my setup lighter. I know a lot of guys like it but I think I'll stick to my sticks. Good luck and please be safe out there.

73 and SRT mostly. I do use steps to preset my paracord usually and have a couple of hang on I put in big oaks for real windy days. The age only affecs me when it gets into the low 20's as I don't deal with the cold as well as when I was in my 20's. I use ground hunting then as I can bundle up more. I don't worry about getting old because I'm past that. :smirk:

Early 50's and have been off and on in a saddle's or similar devices for many years. Started getting back into it about four years ago now. This however will be my third year one sticking and rappelling and I may finally go to 2TC (2 tether climbing) this year as well but I really enjoy one sticking up and rappelling down. I"m comfortable with it and have a system down to carry my gear, climb, etc. Once you practice and things become second nature it becomes so much better AND it is hard to try to go to something different too. Been using climbing spikes more too on private where I have permission on junk trees.

At 55 and waaaayyy overweight, the arthritis in my knees make "stepping up" a challenge. I plan to switch to WE stepps 100% this year and utilize either the Modified Cain method or a knaider to get 3.5' per step and use the next step at 7' to assist with pulling myself up. Is anyone else doing similar or have other suggestions?

I’m 54 and am an active duty Navy Chaplain. I’m blessed with unusual health and athleticism for my age. I out performed most of the battalion on our last fitness test. I think hunting paired with eating plenty of venison explains a lot of it. The rest is simply a gracious gift from God. I hope to keep saddle hunting as long as I have breath in my body. You guys inspire me. Stay strong!

I’m 54 and am an active duty Navy Chaplain. I’m blessed with unusual health and athleticism for my age. I out performed most of the battalion on our last fitness test. I think hunting paired with eating plenty of venison explains a lot of it. The rest is simply a gracious gift from God. I hope to keep saddle hunting as long as I have breath in my body. You guys inspire me. Stay strong!
Have a son at the Naval Academy. Thank you for your service.

Congratulations on your retirement. I'm also retired been for awhile. I definitely am enjoying it.

I have been retired for a couple years and it not all peaches and cream.
When you are retired, you have 6 Saturdays and a Sunday. Sometimes it's hard to remember which Saturday it is, LOL.
Also, if you tag out, you can always take an out of state trip.
I definitely know what you mean. I have to ask my wife sometimes what day it is.

Back