• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Permanent/semi-permanent climbing gear

3lilpigs

My wife and I were fortunate to acquire some acres of undeveloped camping/hunting land. I'm interested in finding a few good hunting spots and putting "permanent" climbing features into nearby trees, without having to build blinds or stands. I've seen people use climbing bolts, though I'm not a huge fan of drilling holes that big into the trees. I'd also be interested in some kind of loop, ring, chain, or cable that would be weather-resistant, that I could use for SRT climbing.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being too worried about drilling into the trees, and it's not really a big deal. Mostly I'm just trying to save myself a little time each morning in the climbing setup.

You could get long cheap climbing sticks/ ladders strap them and if you keep them out yearly just check your straps and sticks replace when needed. You can get 20 ft for like under 50$ if you look. Other option is to get some cable and a big ol ring that is impervious to weather and bolt or crimp so you can do SRT. Just got to plan what trees you want to do and know where they are. Length of paracord to pull rope thru ring

you can probably find a couple sets of used sticks or ladders on facebook marketplace that would be a good cheap option for presets

I'm going to go a slightly different route and say let the terrain and trees tell you what to do.

Once you find some promising areas, pick your shooting lanes then look at the trees and how high you need to be. You may find that you only need to be 10'-15' so having a ladder permanently attached would be the easiest. If you find areas where you need to be 20'+, then an SRT preset may be best.

If you want to prep a whole bunch of trees and cost is a consideration, bolts is the way to go, in my opinion. It's purely anecdotal, but I've had no meaningful tree damage or loss from drilling bolt holes, so I wouldn't sweat it. That's especially true for poplars, which often "heal" the holes over in less than a year. Ladder stands are pretty much unbeatable for quiet and ease of use in-season, though.

I had the same questions about bolts because l want to preset some tree in yard for practice. Bolts are not as destructive to tree as straps or chain can be based on what l read. The tree learn to heal around the wound very fast. I would say paracord is the best option if you are planning to preset for SRT.

There are two legitimate arguments against bolts:

- you plan to use the specific tree you’re drilling for lumber or to sell to someone who will. And that lumber must be clear of defects in order to fetch the price you want.

- you plan to use the specific tree you’re drilling for any type of use that requires metal blades to cut said tree, and the risk of damage to those blades is to be avoided.

this means that if you MIGHT sell or use SOME of your timber, don’t drill trees that MIGHT be the ones you sell or use. There’s dozens of species of trees you won’t get a penny for. And that you’ll never cut down to use for some specific purpose.

if it’s an abstract ethical dilemma that you might kill trees with bolts - remember - you’ll destroy about 10000x times the timber in your daily life that you ever will drilling trees. This makes no sense.

if you don’t want to risk killing your specific trees, point yourself to the compelling evidence that drilling trees makes a material difference in lifespan of trees across species, soil types, and climate. Please also send me that evidence when you find it.

There are two legitimate arguments against bolts:

- you plan to use the specific tree you’re drilling for lumber or to sell to someone who will. And that lumber must be clear of defects in order to fetch the price you want.

- you plan to use the specific tree you’re drilling for any type of use that requires metal blades to cut said tree, and the risk of damage to those blades is to be avoided.

this means that if you MIGHT sell or use SOME of your timber, don’t drill trees that MIGHT be the ones you sell or use. There’s dozens of species of trees you won’t get a penny for. And that you’ll never cut down to use for some specific purpose.

if it’s an abstract ethical dilemma that you might kill trees with bolts - remember - you’ll destroy about 10000x times the timber in your daily life that you ever will drilling trees. This makes no sense.

if you don’t want to risk killing your specific trees, point yourself to the compelling evidence that drilling trees makes a material difference in lifespan of trees across species, soil types, and climate. Please also send me that evidence when you find it.

Well said.

I'm no expert but I think some of the confusion about bolts is that people equate them to climbing spike. From what I understand, repeated use of climbing spikes does damage the tree because the holes are not being filled and it expose the tree to external harm.

I would say use bolts because it is quieter, faster, easier. But I think cheaper and safer, paracord preset for SRT/DRT is the way to go. Place one of these at the top of the tree and just loop the paracord on it,

Think of all the holes drilled into maple trees every year for maple syrup.
I worked for a syrup producer in college in VT, and we drilled hundreds of holes each year.
There were trees that were probably hundreds of years old, that showed no ill effects from drilling.
I leave bolts in the trees and just back them out a couple of turns every couple of years.
As Tyler mentioned you could affect lumber quality but I think the number trees used with bolts would be minimal.

After hunting season you can find sweet deals on those 15’ steel tree ladders at Walmart. I’ve seen them for like $25. Make sure you check the straps before season though!

I like the idea of presets for SRT. There's really no question to the integrity as long as you're inspecting your rope. If a critter has chewed through your preset cord just bring your throwball along and re-set.

My wife and I were fortunate to acquire some acres of undeveloped camping/hunting land. I'm interested in finding a few good hunting spots and putting "permanent" climbing features into nearby trees, without having to build blinds or stands. I've seen people use climbing bolts, though I'm not a huge fan of drilling holes that big into the trees. I'd also be interested in some kind of loop, ring, chain, or cable that would be weather-resistant, that I could use for SRT climbing.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being too worried about drilling into the trees, and it's not really a big deal. Mostly I'm just trying to save myself a little time each morning in the climbing setup.
You gave the answer yourself. Setup Paracord Loops for SRT. Cost nothing and don't hurt the trees.

On my property, I use bolts, ladder stands and blinds. Hard to beat a ladder stand tucked in to cover for those spots you can get in and out of without alerting deer. You said you have a wife. Ladders are nice for two people. If I want to hunt with my wife and a kid, I'll hang from my saddle behind them. I love a saddle, but I don't have to use it in every situation.20210905_144715 (Large).jpg

On private property I hunt, I have several spots that have the cheaper steel three step climbing steps ratchet strapped to the tree. I also have an old 17' summit steel pole. I put those up before season in spots I like and when the wind is right I just bring my one stick with the platform OR a separate platform on those days I plan to hunt those presets and my way up the tree is quick and simple. I just put my platform up and saddle up. I like to bring my one stick with platform to get a little higher on some of these but also if the wind gets finicky I can climb down and one stick up another tree that works for the wind.

Back