• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Predator XL and lwcg ambush

Mike32

Looking for opinions and thoughts on the two. I've narrowed it down to these two mainly for the size, I've tried the ambush a few times and like it but not a big fan of how to cam it. So just trying to get others thoughts.

I prefer the Predator XL. The Ambush just didn’t feel right.

I like the Predator, can’t imagine the XL is anything but better. Try the Trophyline Mission if it gets back in stock or you can try a buddy’s. It’s the only platform I use now. Great size, packable, and it’s an OG design based off the LW Assassin (which is also the inspo for the LWCG Ambush, the designer of which also designed the Assassin I believe) that hasn’t had to change much in like 2 decades because it really makes hunting comfortable and fun. Way better bite on the tree than my predator also due to that novix batwing and stout platform teeth. So I realize this is a non-answer but you won’t be dissatisfied with any of the three I mentioned.

I have the Ambush and it has been an absolute solid platform and I have loved it. That said, if I ever replace it or get a spare I would try the predator XL. Mainly becuase it the predator is $100 less and a lb lighter for the same footprint. I'd have to research the predator some more myself, but as long as most comment that it is a solid set, it would seem like a better deal.

Had both the Predator XL and LWCG Ambush for 3 seasons. Sold both of them within the last month, but I liked the ambush more than the XL. I sold them because I wanted to get away from a big platform and found that I wasn't using them. However, if I go with a big platform again, I'd probably go with the Arsenal RZR Magnum as it's the best balance of weight and size I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

It all boils down to personal preference. What I like most about the Ambush is how well four 17" sticks ride on it. If I want to go in light it's my goto setup. Platform is solid and I don't have cam issues like you mentioned but I like the fix platform a tad better than the ambush. Just get one and hunt. There's not a perfect platform but a lot of good ones.
IMG_2515.jpg

Had both the Predator XL and LWCG Ambush for 3 seasons. Sold both of them within the last month, but I liked the ambush more than the XL. I sold them because I wanted to get away from a big platform and found that I wasn't using them. However, if I go with a big platform again, I'd probably go with the Arsenal RZR Magnum as it's the best balance of weight and size I've seen.

Actually that RZR platform is a new one on the market that I'd keep my eye on. Similar price to LW platforms but lighter and more compact if folding foot pad holds up.

For platforms I like the fix the best.

Between the ambush and predator XL I would go predator XL.

I’ve got 20ish hunts in on the Arsenal RZR Magnum and I love everything about it EXCEPT it’s really hard for me to stand and turn to shoot weakside if needed. The platform depth is fairly shallow for a “large” platform and I only wear size 11 boots. I have to either go around the strong side for the 2 o’clock shot or I put my right hip onto the right side of the tree (as I’m facing it) to make the 4 o’clock shot.

There are a lot of pros to that platform though once you replace the cheapy stock rope with amsteel. I liked the Predator XL I had last season but it developed a squeak that I couldn’t eliminate after lots of attempts

I have had both and really liked both of them. This year I bought a LWCG .5 and got rid of the Ambush and am keeping the XL. It is solid, light, plenty of room to turn and cams really easily.

I have the Ambush and it has been an absolute solid platform and I have loved it. That said, if I ever replace it or get a spare I would try the predator XL. Mainly becuase it the predator is $100 less and a lb lighter for the same footprint. I'd have to research the predator some more myself, but as long as most comment that it is a solid set, it would seem like a better deal.

The footprint isn’t exactly “the same”. The Ambush is 1.5” deeper. The Ambush is also 1” wider at the front and 3.5” wider throughout the majority platform. Consider these images from Mark Dohring (below) compared to the dimensions of your Ambush.

The extras surface area comes at a cost of under 3/4 lb. According to Greg Staggs: Predator XL = 4.58lbs with strap. Ambush = 5.2lbs with strap.

FE4F08E6-D94A-4475-A27F-7EAA3200FBE9.png4A420B33-099C-418D-AEB8-8EFB377DF1F9.pngB4496EBB-4BA1-437D-A6A0-1382781CCF2F.png

That Staggs in the Wild review pisses me off as he didn't bother to learn how to use the Ambush. Strap on, lift up, cam over. No toe hooking or other foot play necessary.

One more platform to consider would be OOAL. They say they're finishing up the details on Ridge Runner XL 2.0, didn't say how long it's going to take but looking at RR 2.0 it might be good.

That Staggs in the Wild review pisses me off as he didn't bother to learn how to use the Ambush. Strap on, lift up, cam over. No toe hooking or other foot play necessary.

One more platform to consider would be OOAL. They say they're finishing up the details on Ridge Runner XL 2.0, didn't say how long it's going to take but looking at RR 2.0 it might be good.

I’ve the RRXL. It‘s a great platform size/shape. No post to work around, fully usable space. I’d use it more but I grab the .5 mostly, which gives me a knee rest and tidy attachment for LWCG sticks. I feel the useful footroom is pretty comparable between the .5 and RRXL.

I’ve the RRXL. It‘s a great platform size/shape. No post to work around, fully usable space. I’d use it more but I grab the .5 mostly, which gives me a knee rest and tidy attachment for LWCG sticks. I feel the useful footroom is pretty comparable between the .5 and RRXL.
Good point I didn't think about the center post at all. I might have actually gone with RRXL if there were good photos or more than one mediocre review on youtube about it, but trying to find any information is like it doesn't even exist. Anyways, I'm happy with the Ambush that I went with. Kind of eager to see how all of this works in the late season 0 to 15F hangs, that's where I think I might miss a stand with a seat the most.

Good point I didn't think about the center post at all. I might have actually gone with RRXL if there were good photos or more than one mediocre review on youtube about it, but trying to find any information is like it doesn't even exist. Anyways, I'm happy with the Ambush that I went with. Kind of eager to see how all of this works in the late season 0 to 15F hangs, that's where I think I might miss a stand with a seat the most.

I like the Ambush too. Some RRXL photos and stuff in the thread below:

I'm happy with the Ambush that I went with. Kind of eager to see how all of this works in the late season 0 to 15F hangs, that's where I think I might miss a stand with a seat the most.
I hunted out of my .75 a couple days ago. It was a refreshing change from the saddle. Bouncing from lock-on to saddle throughout the season is how I've found I'm able to be the most comfortable and effective. It definitely helps me be more still and not move around while hunting.

Back