• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Primary Scrape - Strategy for next year

MJH

SH Member
I have successfully hunted a swampy area for several years. This year, while recovering a buck i shot at my main spot I came to see that right nearby was a primary scrape. There were at least 20 scrapes in a concentrated area about 60-70 yards from where I was hunting. I didn't see these scrapes because I had saved this sport for the last week of Oct and shot the buck on my second sit in that location - my access is by canoe and I did not cross through the scrape area to get to my stand.

In previous years I have seen some scrapes and rubs in this area but nothing like this.

Q1 I will be hunting the area again next year without question, but what is the likelihood that the scraping will be as active there again? Crap shoot?

Q2 The tree I hunt in that area is in a band of mature hardwoods with my back to a creek. In front of me (West) the foliage transforms into thick thick swamp cedars. The deer travel throughout and can come from anywhere. The primary scrape is 60 yards west of me. My prevailing wind here is W or SW. If I move inwards towards the scrape I do have several climbing options but I am fearful that I will degrade my positon with regards to wind. How would you balance this?

If anyone wants to see a map of this location, you can forget it! lol...

First off let me say I am in no way an expert on this subject, all I can offer is what I’ve seen in my experience in southwestern Pennsylvania. There is a scrape area I’ve been keeping a close eye on close to my house and it gets used heavily every year. I’m trying to use trail cams more effectively so this coming fall I’m going to put a trail cam there in early September and not touch it until I go in there to hunt it and see what I can learn from it.
So that’s my advice to you, trail cam the area early and check it when you go in to hunt.

Didn’t answer your questions but I hope it helps you out somehow.

Reactions: VFL
I'm no scrape hunting expert by any means but it sounds to me like you are already in the right location. If the scrapes are 60 yards to the west and the prevailing wind is from the west then you should be set up about right to intercept any bucks coming in from downwind to check/work those scrapes. They should be active again next year as there is almost surely more than one buck in that area working them. Besides, you already have proven the spot by taking a buck there so why move?

So that’s my advice to you, trail cam the area early and check it when you go in to hunt.

Currently I don't own or use any trail cameras. I'm not against them, I just have them in my system. I am also concerned about them showing people where I hunt, and having them stolen (this is on public land).

I'm no scrape hunting expert by any means but it sounds to me like you are already in the right location. If the scrapes are 60 yards to the west and the prevailing wind is from the west then you should be set up about right to intercept any bucks coming in from downwind to check/work those scrapes. They should be active again next year as there is almost surely more than one buck in that area working them. Besides, you already have proven the spot by taking a buck there so why move?

They can't come in from down wind without crossing the creek (which they can, but its big enough that they tend not to in this area). I find that they do move up and down the edge of the creek into my shooting location (I have taken 3 bucks from this exact tree over the last 4 years 5, 8 & 10 pointers).

I am wondering however if moving inwards will give me shooting opportunities for bucks that move into the scraping area which are currently out of range for me. This would come at the risk of exposing my position wind-wise. Your view is that it isn't worth the risk. I appreciate that and it is how I have approached things. I am still wondering if I am not being aggressive enough.

Don't over think it. As mentioned it sounds like your in the right spot already. Now if the deer were using a trail you couldn't shoot from that spot then moving would be warranted. It doesn't take much intrusion to spoil an isolated spot. Stick to your plan from this year. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I am speaking from experience and have ruined spots trying to learn to much.

As far as the scrapes go, the area will most likely be scraped up again next year if the area is not subject to flooding. Moisture content in the dirt will sometimes deter scrape making. Mast crop/food source will alter where deer congregate as well.

Based on your description of the area, I would expect bucks to use that scrape area year after year. As far as moving stand location, I would only consider moving as far as the wind allows. By "allows" I dont mean it has to be blowing some entirely different direction, many times the best wind for a spot is where there are only a few degrees from it being exactly wrong. Sounds like you are in a good tree as is. If the travel continues along the creek, you might check the opposite side of the scrape area for a setup that would offer hunting on a different wind. Sounds like a jam up good spot!!

Based on your description of the area, I would expect bucks to use that scrape area year after year. As far as moving stand location, I would only consider moving as far as the wind allows. By "allows" I dont mean it has to be blowing some entirely different direction, many times the best wind for a spot is where there are only a few degrees from it being exactly wrong. Sounds like you are in a good tree as is. If the travel continues along the creek, you might check the opposite side of the scrape area for a setup that would offer hunting on a different wind. Sounds like a jam up good spot!!

To hunt the other side of the scrape would put you in super thick cedars and crap. There are some hardwoods that poke through here and there. Only with a lot of cutting would it be possible to hunt it.

If you think it would give you another opportunity to hunt a different wind, I would get in there now and prep a tree so you dont have to mess with it before or during the season next year. Otherwise, I would just keep hanging the one you are killing from.

Reactions: MJH
With that many scrapes there has to be some pretty worn trails. I would go in there now and look at how the trails come in and out of the scrape area. Maybe you need to adjust a little or maybe not but I don’t think you’ll mess anything up by going in now and getting a better feel for it. Read the sign and let the deer sign show you the right setup. Sounds like the tree you’re in is working pretty good as is but go scout and be sure, then you’ll get a confidence boost knowing you’re in the exact tree you need to be in.

You said your access is by canoe so I’m assuming you’re coming in from the creek and popping right up a tree on the edge? To me that sounds bulletproof.

With that many scrapes there has to be some pretty worn trails. I would go in there now and look at how the trails come in and out of the scrape area. Maybe you need to adjust a little or maybe not but I don’t think you’ll mess anything up by going in now and getting a better feel for it. Read the sign and let the deer sign show you the right setup. Sounds like the tree you’re in is working pretty good as is but go scout and be sure, then you’ll get a confidence boost knowing you’re in the exact tree you need to be in.

You said your access is by canoe so I’m assuming you’re coming in from the creek and popping right up a tree on the edge? To me that sounds bulletproof.

There are trails coming in and out. I know a few of them but I do need to scout it more deeply. I have been thinking about enlarging some trails that would benefit my position and hope the deer filter in on them. Not sure. I will be in there in the next week or two to scout a bit more and prep another shooting location.

Yes I paddle up the creek almost exactly the base of my tree. The situation is perfect. Normally the creek has so much deadfall in it, it is a mega pain in the ass to get up. Now Beavers have moved in and dammed it in a couple of spots. That raised the water levels making most of the canoe trip easier but it floods out the area and the hiking access becomes a sh!t show. That to my best estimates kept basically everyone out of there this year...

I didn't read all the responses but based on your information, I would say yes, for sure hunt it. Primary scrapes were put there for a reason, the bucks and other deer that made/use/communicate at them have found a secluded spot to rub urinate, lick a branch and other rutting/communication behavior. Primary scrape areas usually stay the same from year to year. On all of the properties I hunt, the primary scrapes I have found are used every year. You can also make mock scrapes which you could place nearby sooner rather than later if it would be a better spot for you. Rather than getting caught up in hunting just one primary scrape; however, try to find the areas where there are other primary scrapes nearby as well in addition to rubs and terrain features that funnel deer like a ravine crossing or a saddle or swale in a ridge line, or a perpendicular ridge spur off from a main ridge line... these areas funnel movement and primary scrapes around these areas just increase your odds. Over the years its not the scrapes so much as the locations of why the scrapes were there in the first place. My bow buck I shot this year on October 24th had just finished freshening a scrape as he was heading back to a ridge line that runs east west from feed fields. The scrape my buck hit was about 40 yards upwind of me and I had another primary scrape 12 yards from me but slightly downwind on the main ridge. Just below that ridge is a ridge spur that joins the main east west ridge from the south. All of those factors force deer movement near and by me. I shot him at 15 yards seconds after he finished rub urinating and hitting the licking branch of the primary scrape. Both scrapes had licking branches btw.

Your over thinking it. 3 bucks in 4 yrs is solid results.. Nice ones by the sound of it. You said it yourself. The situation is perfect. Water at your back, they can't come in downwind, your downwind of the scrapes if they come to scent check it plus they can't get your ground scent. Your entry and exit are quiet and low impact. Sounds like a perfect location that you can hunt multiple times and not spook anything. trees like that are rare. Hunt it and show the pics next year! I have a tree that is almost identical to yours. It's a killer tree literally! So far a 150" and a 145" have been shot from it.

Took the words out of my mouth/keyboard. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Will it be exactly the same next year? Maybe not. But the area is used heavily, so getting tighter to the primary scrape may hurt you more than benefit you, in the long run, imo. I've run into a very similar scenario this year and learned that even though the is a primary scrape close, they will be making secondary scrapes within 100-150 yds of the area. As a previous post said, utilize trail cams and try to pattern them a little bit more. I'm no expert, either, but just some stuff I've learned over the years. Good luck and keep us posted next year!

get in there in august and prep a scrape area. removed licking branches, then leave one or enhance it, where you can get a clean shot from tree. Hide a cell cam up high.

then hunt when the camera tells you.. might be a crap shoot , if food patterns change , but at least you’ll know

Thinking of the scrape like a clock, which direction does the surrounding cover create the shortest distance between transition cover and scrape? If the closest cover from a 3 o'clock approach is 10 yards and from 9 o'clock it's 10 feet, I'd bet that's the direction a mature bucks would come from. Then, think about your ambush options from there.

Back