• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question for adding amsteel to stepps and SRT rappel

bhett28

Hi All,

Firstly as a new member, I’d like to thank everyone who contribute to these forums. The amount of knowledge and insight within this community is really an awesome thing.

Anyways, this will be my first year saddle hunting. Hoping to practice in my flex saddle next week. I’m looking for some clarification around two areas.
Firstly, I’m using the Wild Edge Stepps. I like them- but I’ve decided to put the 1/4” amsteel rope on them instead. I’ve got 100 feet. So my question is, without splicing the amsteel, what is the most practical knot for me to tie the amsteel onto the Stepps for the slipknot method?

Secondly, I have decided to use a SRT system to rappel down for my descents. I’ve got 40’ of 3/8” Sterling HTC rope, the ATC, and an autoblock. So same theme of my Sterling rope not being spliced. Since I can just tether off the SRT rope to the top of the tree after I’m already up there, is there an ideal knot for this so I can pull it back down, when I’m back on the ground? Do I still need paracord anyways? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks guys!

I tried amsteel on my WE and went back to the original ropes. It was more difficult to loosen the knot at times and didn't provide any real benefit for me. Amsteel is not made for knots, so I would not recommend it unless you splice it. Splicing it is so simple, there is no reason to tie knots and induce risk.

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Don’t put knots in amsteel

It’s slippery & knots may not hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want a figure 8 on a bight create the loop for your rope to girth hitch to the tree. Although a delta link is quite convenient. There are several options for attaching your retrival paracord but most basically attach it with a carabinner to the figure 8 loop.

I tried amsteel on my WE and went back to the original ropes. It was more difficult to loosen the knot at times and didn't provide any real benefit for me. Amsteel is not made for knots, so I would not recommend it unless you splice it. Splicing it is so simple, there is no reason to tie knots and induce risk.

Appreciate the insight. I'll figure out how to splice the rope and go from there. Any protips for when I actually cut the rope into 7' foot pieces?

You want a figure 8 on a bight create the loop for your rope to girth hitch to the tree. Although a delta link is quite convenient. There are several options for attaching your retrival paracord but most basically attach it with a carabinner to the figure 8 loop.

Got it. I'll look into that method this week. Thanks!

@Bwhana interesting that you went back to the original ropes. I thought the amsteel was going so well for you...?
Amsteel works well on getting the step tight, but I found that knot got so tight, even when doing the loop method, it was sometimes difficult to get undone while hanging up in the tree. The WE ropes comes loose easier everytime.

Appreciate the insight. I'll figure out how to splice the rope and go from there. Any protips for when I actually cut the rope into 7' foot pieces?
@g2outdoors put out a great video for amsteel. Follow the instructions here and you make a tight, locked brummel around the cross piece on the step and then bury. On the tag end, just run about 3 inches back inside itself to keep it from fraying.

Splicing amsteel is easy. There are a bunch of how-to videos on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hey man probably a dumb question, but how would i utilize the delta link in the scenario?

Hey man probably a dumb question, but how would i utilize the delta link in the scenario?
The delta link replaces the bight for you girth hitch. Advantages are that you can create a girth hitch without access to the other end of the rope or running all the rope through. Also there is less friction on the rope so it will wear less.

The delta link replaces the bight for you girth hitch. Advantages are that you can create a girth hitch without access to the other end of the rope or running all the rope through. Also there is less friction on the rope so it will wear less.
This is good :)

Back