• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question for carbon arrow builders

Weldabeast

SH Member
All the previous arrows ive put together i have used gold tip tip grip glue. It holds awesome but ive really been tinkering alot lately. I have been looking at the hot melt for ease of switching things up. Searching the internet comes up with some people saying its not good and others say its great. Anybody have personal, real world experience with it? This is for carbon arrows

I’m a fan of Goat Tuff for inserts & fletching.
My Blazers rip in half before tearing off at the glue.
I used to us hot melt way back in the day, with Aluminum arrows, but that’s been 15 years.

I think it is a good idea for tuning. Or of you tend to want to change things a lot. I exclusively use loctite liquid super glue for inserts and fletching. It works excellent. I have used it for about 13 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just make sure that you don't apply heat directly to the carbon arrow. When I use it I heat the insert and/or the point and try to keep the heat away from the carbon.

I use it sometimes. It holds better if you ruff up the inside of the arrow where the insert goes. Then clean with alcohol.

This. I use it all the time.

I use the low temp bohning (blue stick). I screw the tip in and hold the tip while heating. You want hot enough to melt the adhesive but not too hot to hold. You want to get a good coat on the insert. Then I insert it by turning the tip/insert as I go so that it spreads the adhesive uniformly.

That’s after the roughing up and cleaning that Swamp mentions.

It may be beneficial to remove the nock while doing this since there’s a small chance that back pressure will push the insert back out before it sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everybody is sit-on. The blue Bohnings stuff works, but takes a little extra prep. Goat Tuff is great stuff, and was our go-to glue. I've always used crazy-glue gel on my own stuff, because it's cheap as heck and works about as well.

5 years in a shop cured me of wanting to tinker. I just want to slap the stuff together and go now. More power to ya though. :)

Not a fan of the hot melt. I read a lot of people liking it because you are able to get the insert out if needed but I realized real quick that I was loosing to many inserts in my targets. I prep my arrows really well but still kept loosing them in targets. I am going to just go back to super glue, it didn't fail me before.

I use 5 minute 2 part epoxy for inserts and Goat Tuff for fletching.The epoxy gives plenty of time to spin your inserts and make sure your Broadheads are aligned and spin true.I don’t shoot field points during hunting season only KILLING ARROWS.They are the only ones that matter from September to February for me.

This. I use it all the time.

I use the low temp bohning (blue stick). I screw the tip in and hold the tip while heating. You want hot enough to melt the adhesive but not too hot to hold. You want to get a good coat on the insert. Then I insert it by turning the tip/insert as I go so that it spreads the adhesive uniformly.

That’s after the roughing up and cleaning that Swamp mentions.

It may be beneficial to remove the nock while doing this since there’s a small chance that back pressure will push the insert back out before it sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I use and the method I install them. Have yet to have one come out.

Thanks fellas.... My current set of arrows are totally fine but i like tinkering with stuff and don't like having to buy new arrows everytime i get the wild hair.

I use hot glue. Never lost a tip yet.

It’s hard getting the long brass hit inserts back out. I try to heat up the field point enough to pull it out but I think it weakens the carbon some. Anyone have a better method?

Would boiling or near boiling water soften the hot melt enough to get the long inserts back out?.....the quick fletch heat shrink stuff tells you to dunk the shaft in boiling water....?

30 minute epoxy for me, after swabbing insert and inside of shaft with alcohol or MEK. Plenty of set time to play with alignment. Good bond. Don't lose inserts in targets anymore like I often did with various superglues and fletch-tite. I have some of the Bohning blue cool-flex hotmelt, but haven't tried it yet because I'm afraid I won't have any working time. I'm assuming it sets immeidately. I guess minor adjustments could be made by re-heating and twisting if necessary. But for me the working time and strength of epoxy is nice. But it isn't very removable.

5769ea2fdc40f41435f584300f26be01.jpg

Back