• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question on stick and pack mods

Eckert_Hunter18

I currently use 4 lone wolf sticks that are original length. Only thing I've done to them is add stealth strips to them. I have looked at tons of post on how people pack them, and it seems like the majority of people cut them down in length. I just cant seem to get myself to do it.

Other then lightening the weight, what are advantages to shortening the steps? Also do you have to use an aider doing so to get the same height as if they were normal length? I really dont want to lose how high I can can get with my current setup but open to anything that makes it easier to pack. On that note, what's the best way to pack the sticks. I'm going to be using the thethed predator pack and would love to fine a way to attach the sticks to that. Open to all ideas.

I currently use 4 lone wolf sticks that are original length. Only thing I've done to them is add stealth strips to them. I have looked at tons of post on how people pack them, and it seems like the majority of people cut them down in length. I just cant seem to get myself to do it.

Other then lightening the weight, what are advantages to shortening the steps? Also do you have to use an aider doing so to get the same height as if they were normal length? I really dont want to lose how high I can can get with my current setup but open to anything that makes it easier to pack. On that note, what's the best way to pack the sticks. I'm going to be using the thethed predator pack and would love to fine a way to attach the sticks to that. Open to all ideas.

I’ve also been afraid to chop up my sticks. Personally what I do is just use the sticks as is and just add a good aider to it. I get more than enough height for my comfort doing that. The aider packs away and doesn’t feel like you’re carrying anything extra than what you’re already carrying.

As far as packing them, I just strap the sticks together so they’re tight and then strap a generic tree stand pack strap to the top stick and sling the whole thing across my back. They generally ride pretty comfortably along side the back pack. Not a perfect solution but it’s the best I’ve found for me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve also been afraid to chop up my sticks. Personally what I do is just use the sticks as is and just add a good aider to it. I get more than enough height for my comfort doing that. The aider packs away and doesn’t feel like you’re carrying anything extra than what you’re already carrying.

As far as packing them, I just strap the sticks together so they’re tight and then strap a generic tree stand pack strap to the top stick and sling the whole thing across my back. They generally ride pretty comfortably along side the back pack. Not a perfect solution but it’s the best I’ve found for me so far.

Do you use 4 sticks or go down to 3 with the aider?

Do you use 4 sticks or go down to 3 with the aider?

I only own 3 sticks. I really want to stay with 3 sticks cause it seems a lot less bulk and weight to carry. Another set of sticks I used to have in the past, I had 4 and for whatever reason it felt like a lot more to carry.

The way I like to use the aider is at the ground level. Not very comfortable messing with one at height in the tree. But a multi step aider at the base of the tree lets me mount the first stick about as high as I can reach. Let’s me gain almost 5 feet that I otherwise wouldn’t have. And then it packs up nice and small and weighs almost nothing. So for me an aider at ground level is better than a 4th stick.

I took some leftover "Wraptor" webbing and sewed a set of backpack type straps and waist belt. A large loop at the top and one at the bottom with 2" buckles tighten down on top and bottom of stick stack. Rides pretty well. I only carry a small sling type pack.

I too was once in your situation. I started a thread about it on here.

I ended up chopping my 4 sticks and have no regrets. In addition to lighter weight you gain great maneuverability not only while going to and from your stand but simply when hanging--the shorter the stick the less likely your stick, elbow, etc will come in contact with a limb, etc.

At first I was hesitant on getting double steps but I did last year for the top step only. Santa brought me 4 more for the bottoms due to a season wishing I would have had them on the bottom too.

Getting back to chopping--yes you will need an aider to make up any difference. I use a CAYG aider which I also use as a hys strap. Next season I am going to try using a double aider. So in reality I can get higher that I would if it didn't chop.

Now the predator pack--I have been eyeing one of these up too. I have not had one in hand however my first idea is to have some sort of strap on the molle of the pack to hold the top of my sticks. Since this more than likely will cause side to side swaying, I would then try to devise a similar strap to grab the bottom of my sticks. This strap would go on my mantis molle and would be detachable without taking my mantis off if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I cut mine to 22", 20" step and left the original steps on them, going to probably replace them but for now they're fine. I use a 5 step aider from black diamond so I can climb as high as I want, it packs up nicely and doesn't weigh a thing. I'm going to drill holes to make them lighter but they're small and pack well on the side of my bag.

The predator pack has a molle panel on the front of it so there are several ways you could attach sticks to that. Nite ize gear ties is one. You could also put ghooks on a length of 1” webbing and tie them like that.

Back