• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Questions about all things quivers

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Another shameless thread to help with my posts count so I can access the classified. ;)

Serious note, just want to know what everyone's setup is in regards to quivers. For my warf bow or trad bows that have insert for modern compound bow quivers, I just use the type that snap on/off. Hang it on side like with my compound setup.

With that said, I don't like shooting/hunting with quiver on at any given point for my compound.

But in regards to trad bows, I'm undecided. I have only practice without a quiver. So questions:

Who hunt with full quiver when saddle, blind, or stalking?

Is there a benefit beside aesthetic to having a more traditional limbs attached quiver like Selway VS a riser bolt on quiver?

Is it blasphemous to drill/insert slot for a quiver mount into a traditional bow that does not have one like a vintage Bear?

Do you shoot differently with a quiver on? Like it more because of the added weight for stability etc etc?

Oh, how does everyone keep their arrow from falling off the rest in the saddle?

It ain't a popular thing, but I put a detachable quiver on my Morrison a bit ago. Tried EFAs before I went with the TR Hexlite (I love that quiver btw). The EFAs are great traditional style quivers but they lack the ability to be easily removed.

I always shoot with a full quiver on and use a kwik-loc to keep the arrow on the rest.

I've owned 2 quivers for my recurve. My Screaming Eagle that I bought in 1992 and a Great Northern that I bought and quickly returned last year. Not a fan of the arrow orientation of the GN. So I went back to my beloved SE. Its a 5 arrow strap on style. I carry 4 broadhead arrows and one judo...an absolute requirement in my quiver.
I like to shoot with the quiver on the bow and when I practice, I do so with 4 arrows in the quiver to simulate hunting weight.

And you can't beat a Saunders arrow keeper for keeping the arrow on the shelf. Cheap, effective and bomb proof.

Another shameless thread to help with my posts count so I can access the classified. ;)

Serious note, just want to know what everyone's setup is in regards to quivers. For my warf bow or trad bows that have insert for modern compound bow quivers, I just use the type that snap on/off. Hang it on side like with my compound setup.

With that said, I don't like shooting/hunting with quiver on at any given point for my compound.

But in regards to trad bows, I'm undecided. I have only practice without a quiver. So questions:

Who hunt with full quiver when saddle, blind, or stalking?

Is there a benefit beside aesthetic to having a more traditional limbs attached quiver like Selway VS a riser bolt on quiver?

Is it blasphemous to drill/insert slot for a quiver mount into a traditional bow that does not have one like a vintage Bear?

Do you shoot differently with a quiver on? Like it more because of the added weight for stability etc etc?

Oh, how does everyone keep their arrow from falling off the rest in the saddle?

I used to hate having a quiver on my bow and used either a leather back or a Cat quiver. I hated how bulky bow mounted quivers were, how heavy they were, and didn't like most strap systems. That was until I found Eagles Flight archery quivers. The strap system is rock solid and doesn't look as bad as some of the others that you have to wrap around multiple times. Plus they are the lightest quiver I have found. The four arrow standard is tiny and will just fit four two blades broadheads. I personally, like the J1 size which is a little bigger then the standard.

Curious, if you always shoot with your quiver on, why do you need a removable one?
Therein lies the rub sir. @always89y made me a SAWEEEEET recurve bag out of a sherpa lined shirt I had. Couldn't ever use it though because it was too much of a process to get my quiver off the bow.

I'm bring it up and show you next year when we slaughter more unsuspecting spikes at your place again. :D
20220216_150224.jpg20220216_150410.jpg

I have an efa and a big jims, have had a great northern. The efa is by far my favorite. I’ve never had a trad bow with a bushing or i might consider a detachable. I like having them on the bow though. I’ve needed a second arrow more than once. And arrow holder is an excellent addition.

I'm pretty sure I have been through every quiver out there and always come back to this. Cheap Walmart quiver modified with a strap and Kydex clip. I just hate bow mounted quivers because when I do get to hunt it usually pretty thick. This allows me to put the arrows across the back, high in my armpit or across my chest. Lots of maneuverability.
597e6cf06f6ad0b4b75368789c284cd7.jpg
8dfb24e8e25c3ab69e9c3d9f1434f35d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Not to be opportunistic but I do have a Catquiver Mini in the classifieds right now for anyone looking for a like new, USA made and QUIET, quiver with a strap with easy arrow removal. The thing is like new. I used it for one season and actually I liked it ok and worked superbly. My wife says I have too much hunting junk.... Anyway, Here's a pic of it. IMG_8074.jpg

I like strap on quivers, I'm using a great northern now. It stays in place. It's very quiet and holds 5 arrows.
Bolt on quivers don't work for me, the hood and gripper end up too close together which allows excess flex at the nocks, much noisier that way.

I used a hip quiver on the mid 90's but didn't like it in thick brush. It was always catching on something.

I like strap on quivers, I'm using a great northern now. It stays in place. It's very quiet and holds 5 arrows.

Bolt on quivers don't work for me, the hood and gripper end up too close together which allows excess flex at the nocks, much noisier that way.

I used a hip quiver on the mid 90's but didn't like it in thick brush. It was always catching on something.
I agree about liking a strap on quiver, but there is one thing about the Great Northern quivers that I hated and that is the way the gripper is oriented for 2 rows of arrows. No issues with accessing an arrow from the outside row, and not even much of an issue with the rear-inside arrow. But the forward inside arrow is in a crummy position to access. You have to snake it in between the quver and the bow (and bow string!).
I realize that arrow should be the arrow of last resort...after the other 4 are gone. But I still prefer a quiver in which each arrow can be accessed by pulling the broadheads out and away from the bow, the string, and my hands.

I agree about liking a strap on quiver, but there is one thing about the Great Northern quivers that I hated and that is the way the gripper is oriented for 2 rows of arrows. No issues with accessing an arrow from the outside row, and not even much of an issue with the rear-inside arrow. But the forward inside arrow is in a crummy position to access. You have to snake it in between the quver and the bow (and bow string!).
I realize that arrow should be the arrow of last resort...after the other 4 are gone. But I still prefer a quiver in which each arrow can be accessed by pulling the broadheads out and away from the bow, the string, and my hands.
Is that where the judo rides?

I definitely agree with that assessment, it's a moot point for me. I haven't tried to access a fifth arrow in 49 years of big game hunting. For me it's just a place to carry another backup arrow on a backcountry hunt.
I used to worry about carrying only 5 or 6 arrows on a weeklong hunt but only once was it an issue (I only had 3 broadhead arrows) and I'm a lot more judicious in my shot selection now. So I'm not concerned with access to the 5th arrow in a pressure situation. And as noted above I'll carry my blunt there anyway.
All that being said, I wont say that a future quiver isn't going to have a different gripper configuration.

Is that where the judo rides?
That's where it would have rode had I decided to keep the GN quiver. But as soon as I first strapped it on the bow and loaded it with arrows, I instantly realized that I didn't like that gripper orientation so I returned it.
And I access my judo a lot during a hunt. I often use it to rake away a stick, or other such application in order to make my approach sound less like a 1-2-1-2 gate of a human walking. I can "soften" the hard crunch of dry leaves, or even mimic turkeys scratching. I probably like the judo being more accessible than a broadhead. When I'm actually in my stand and preparing for the day's hang, I can ease-out an arrow from the chosen slot, but that tight little space of the forward inside gripper just bothers me. It's not a huge deal, but there are plenty of quivers on the market with the style of gripper like a Screaming Eagle. That's what I choose.

Last edited:
Back