• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick Question Climbing Sticks or Step Ladder..?

HeartlandOutdoorLiving

If you have time to answer, looking for a good honest answer on a quick question, and I know it is probably subjective as well as dependent on circumstances, but working with a limited budget, I don't have the money to make a lot of costly mistakes.
If you could only pick one, would you go with Lone Wolf Climbing sticks, set of 4, or wild edge step ladder, 10.
I will try to help with a little additional information,. I work 7am-3pm, so all of october, I can leave work and drive to a public hunting area after work and have roughly a 3-5 hour hunt time knowing it starts getting much darker by the end of the month of October and I can use some comp time to leave an hour or so early if need be, but I want to try to hunt one or two days a week after work and them my main hunting grounds, I save vacation for them and I have a solution for that part, but for quick evening hunts if for no other reason than to get out in the woods and break up the mundane work week.
In your opinion which system would you use for quick in and out evening hunts. ?
Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks, or the Wild Edge Step Ladder? (Or another brand I am not familiar with)

Thanks in advance, and I will go on to thank anyone who wants to chime in and help on this question.?

PS, I did do a quick search to see if anyone had asked similar and didn't see the question, if it is a repeat, sorry, I apologize in advance then.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hawk Helium’s as @Ontariofarmer said. You modify them quick with a versa button if you want or hunt them as is. Put an aider on them to give yourself some extra height if needed. You may luv the WE’s I do but they do take time for most people to learn

I know exactly what you mean by expensive mistakes. Feels like that is all I've done the last few years on my journey here.

I would recommend that you read the various Knaider Swaider threads here and then decide. My bet is you will pick 4-6 Wild Edge steps and these aiders. Lightest, least bulky method assuming you want something solid to climb with and are on public land.

This is what I will be doing if I can ever sell my one year old LW sticks. If you want to buy them from me let me know! ;-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stepp ladder set of 10 if forced to choose from those two.

6 stepps with the various aider setups, and 1 - 20" climbing stick with aider as a combo option for my real choice

Haven't hunted from a saddle yet and haven't used the step ladder. I have used 3 lone wolf sticks and aiders to get pretty high with a stand though. And no I don't have any bone collector apparel and don't wear my hat backwards ;). for me lone wolf's were the easiest to come by so that's how the decision was made. Not sure about anyone else or what your clothing will be like bulk wise. I found that more bulk meant less flexibility.

If time is short and the time to learn is short and funds are low I would go with 3 hawk helium sticks with aiders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I truly appreciate it. I like this idea, I had not seen or heard of the Hawk, and I found them on sale for 99 bucks with a quick google search. Thank you so much.
Hawk Helium’s as @Ontariofarmer said. You modify them quick with a versa button if you want or hunt them as is. Put an aider on them to give yourself some extra height if needed. You may luv the WE’s I do but they do take time for most people to learn

I like this idea and adding the versa button would make it quicker and quieter I believe, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I may well try the WE's I do have 6 weeks and have some trees close by here at the house I could try practicing on regular until season gets here. Right now I am the dork who is walking around the block with the dogs every evening with a huge pack 35 pounds in it shorts, tank top and my hunting boots walking the dogs, i get some funny looks, I would think they are so used to seeing me, if they seen me climbing the trees in the back of the kids playground they wouldn't think anything of me doing it hehehe. Thanks again my friend.
Dale

I know exactly what you mean by expensive mistakes. Feels like that is all I've done the last few years on my journey here.

I would recommend that you read the various Knaider Swaider threads here and then decide. My bet is you will pick 4-6 Wild Edge steps and these aiders. Lightest, least bulky method assuming you want something solid to climb with and are on public land.

This is what I will be doing if I can ever sell my one year old LW sticks. If you want to buy them from me let me know! ;-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thank you kind sir for all the information I have looked up the threads, seen what they are doing with all that and I love it, looks like a fun option if i am able to pull it off, that may well be the route for me as well. I still haven't crossed the sticks off my list though, i think they would be easier to learn, but the ultimate goal of lighter and further the step ladder looks the best with the extra straps to increase the distance.
Thanks again my friend
Dale

The stepps just pack so much better. Ultimately I've decided I just hate sticks. I've have most of them. I started with lone wolfs, bought muddy pro's and then hawk heliums. Any more than 3 sticks is too much for my system and it doesn't get me high enough. The stepps have a little bit of a learning curve to set up properly but 4-5 with the knaider/swaider or 5-6 with a red squirrel aider will get you to 20-25 feet in about 10 minutes.

Stepps if Mr. Green Jeans says you can't hurt da widdle treesies, spurs and bolts if you can. Sticks are for folks that wear their Bone Collectors hat backwards. ;)
I think you are right , I am leaning more towards the steps after all the feedback, I think it makes more sense. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply I truly appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Dale
Stepp ladder set of 10 if forced to choose from those two.

6 stepps with the various aider setups, and 1 - 20" climbing stick with aider as a combo option for my real choice

Yes sir, I like the idea of the less is more, being so new to this idea, i was unaware of the options like the aider, so I am leaning the direction now, I think I can pull that off with some practice, we have roughly 6 weeks before season start, so I will start practicing soon.
Thanks again for taking the time to read this and post a reply, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Dale

Haven't hunted from a saddle yet and haven't used the step ladder. I have used 3 lone wolf sticks and aiders to get pretty high with a stand though. And no I don't have any bone collector apparel and don't wear my hat backwards ;). for me lone wolf's were the easiest to come by so that's how the decision was made. Not sure about anyone else or what your clothing will be like bulk wise. I found that more bulk meant less flexibility.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That is a good consideration as well. Initially at the start of the season, it is somewhat warm here, but your right, later in the season, I will be bundled up like the good year tire guy, I don't like being cold, but what i have done in the past in the cold was walk out with most of my warm clothes on my back pack, and put them on in the stand so i didn't get all damp from getting too hot on the way to the stand location, this is all new to me and i am looking forward to it.
Thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.
Dale

The stepps just pack so much better. Ultimately I've decided I just hate sticks. I've have most of them. I started with lone wolfs, bought muddy pro's and then hawk heliums. Any more than 3 sticks is too much for my system and it doesn't get me high enough. The stepps have a little bit of a learning curve to set up properly but 4-5 with the knaider/swaider or 5-6 with a red squirrel aider will get you to 20-25 feet in about 10 minutes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, after reading all the replies and doing some more homework and learning more options, I really like this option as well. I think it will be fun to learn, I love a challenge and I still have some time to practice and get this down good prior to opening day. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, It is greatly appreciated.
Dale

Sticks win for ease of use and learning curve for sure. LW sticks are known to be well built, but the single step is a deal killer for some.

Stepps are a great concept. Love the thought of them. I gave them a pretty good shot and couldn't like them. Definitely depends what you prioritize.

Or in the spirit of nuttbuster...stepps are for croc wearing trendy folks that will be climbing with a new fad next year, heck maybe next week. Us boot wearers just over here happily climbing old dependable sticks.

Sticks win for ease of use and learning curve for sure. LW sticks are known to be well built, but the single step is a deal killer for some.

Stepps are a great concept. Love the thought of them. I gave them a pretty good shot and couldn't like them. Definitely depends what you prioritize.

Or in the spirit of nuttbuster...stepps are for croc wearing trendy folks that will be climbing with a new fad next year, heck maybe next week. Us boot wearers just over here happily climbing old dependable sticks.

I find they are slower noisier and definitely hard on trees. But we are all different. I can see the advantage of both.
I have practiced with stepps all week while on holidays. I still like sticks and dinosaur 6 step aiders.
24 feet 3 sticks 16 inch sticks and and an aider.

To each his own. That is why I like this site. We do not have to agree

I learn more from people who disagree with me

If I only had 1 way to climb it would be 3-4 LW sticks without a doubt. Or possibly modded hawk helium’s you can get for $100. I sold my steps, just weren’t for me. Sticks are easy quick and reliable. I would also pick up a drill and some 6” bolts for trees I regularly hunt.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and I enjoyed the humor you added at the end as well. I being new to the forum definitely don't want to start a war, just looking for folks input one way or another and I knew there would potentially be some good answers, and I have learned a lot, I had never heard of the other ideas and solutions so it has been a educational evening for me and i have enjoyed the answered by so many folks.

I do think you are right, the sticks would be easier for me to learn, After getting poison ivey from head to 2 30 years ago trying to hang a look on stand by holding and balancing on screw in steps, i left that style of hunting for climbing stands, and have hunted that way every since, but looking for a lighter way to go further on public land i have learned a lot about the saddle hunting, and to be honest, I am sure i recall seeing the Lone Wolf assassin years ago, but thought, sheesh, I would fall out of that, I had no idea folks were using it like the saddle hunting stuff I am just now learning about so this is all fine and gets me even more excited about it. The wife, not so excited, but she is a good lady and wont mind when she sees the smile on my face when I deiced on any of th options given.

Thanks again for your reply and have a blessed week.
Dale

If I only had 1 way to climb it would be 3-4 LW sticks without a doubt. Or possibly modded hawk helium’s you can get for $100. I sold my steps, just weren’t for me. Sticks are easy quick and reliable. I would also pick up a drill and some 6” bolts for trees I regularly hunt.

Thank you JakeB, I can see how it would be a faster learning curve and there is some great benefits with them. I know they have a lot of great reviews and that is basically why I posed the question was to see the pros and cons from the guys who use them and why they like them.

I cant do the bolts its public hunting areas that I am aiming to use the saddle style hunting, but yes sir, that would be the best bet, quick and easy, cheap and goes in fast for repeat use makes it even easier.

Thanks again sir, your reply is greatly appreciated and I hope you have a blessed week.
Dale

Really the best idea is to look at the saddle hunter map and find someone to visit so you can try different methods for yourself

Good luck whatever way you try the saddle is a great way to hunt

What varies on this site is how we climb

Really the best idea is to look at the saddle hunter map and find someone to visit so you can try different methods for yourself

Good luck whatever way you try the saddle is a great way to hunt

What varies on this site is how we climb

I didn't know about the map, I may have to give that a try as well. Thanks again my friend.
Dale

Back