• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

R26 limb splinter

Rutman

SH Member
Noticed a splinter on the corner of a limb when I was climbing up this morning. Could I just clip it off and replace it later? What would you do…

4a045fb3d17d18b414e58b551edf4ad8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stop using it, had the same happen on one of my crossbows. While it was cocked, the limb slowly cracked more and completely broke. My crazy uncle shot it to get it de-cocked, missed the target shooting at 10 yards, never found the arrow lol

Do not shoot it!!! That is one of the Ravin problems. I forget how many shots Ravin recommended before switching the limbs. They have a very low shot (I want to say less than 500, before they recommend switching the limbs). Harnessing all that power takes a toll on the limbs. Kind of like carbon fiber barrels on rifles have about a 1000 round life.

Last edited:
Those little splinters are usually caused by bumping the edge of the limb on something hard. Then when you draw the bow back, it will splinter where it was bumped. On a compound, this isn't a problem. Just snip the splinter off and sand it a little then coat it with some super glue. But these newer crossbows are under a lot of preload and those little splinters are hard to manage and control.

You can snip it off, sand it a little and coat it with super glue. Then keep a close eye on it and see if the splinter stops growing or if the splinter wants to keep growing. It might get you by until you can get a new set of limbs in.

Those little splinters are usually caused by bumping the edge of the limb on something hard. Then when you draw the bow back, it will splinter where it was bumped. On a compound, this isn't a problem. Just snip the splinter off and sand it a little then coat it with some super glue. But these newer crossbows are under a lot of preload and those little splinters are hard to manage and control.

You can snip it off, sand it a little and coat it with super glue. Then keep a close eye on it and see if the splinter stops growing or if the splinter wants to keep growing. It might get you by until you can get a new set of limbs in.
Spooky :flushed:

I agree...do not keep using it. The R26 is wound up tight with alot of preload on those limbs. Get it to Ravin Dealer and have it repaired!

Idk about a crossbow seems like the consensus is this is a big deal. I have had a few minor limb splinters on my compound that a cut with a razor blade sanded and sealed with no I’ll effects but
1. The limbs are much larger
2. The limbs don’t stay under load for hours
3. The limbs stay under a much lower load

Interested to hear how many shots you have through it

The Ravin warranty states that you should have all the cables replaced every 2 years or 200 shots, which ever comes first. :)
I wouldn't touch it, other than to get it to a dealership and have the limb repaired/replaced. :oops:

Idk about a crossbow seems like the consensus is this is a big deal. I have had a few minor limb splinters on my compound that a cut with a razor blade sanded and sealed with no I’ll effects but
1. The limbs are much larger
2. The limbs don’t stay under load for hours
3. The limbs stay under a much lower load

Interested to hear how many shots you have through it

Y’all are freaking me out now…. It might have 50 shots on it, max. I did change the strings and cables on it a couple weeks ago myself, so I could’ve very well did something to cause it.

I just got off the phone with my bow shop. He’s ordering me new limbs. They should be here next week. This things like a bear trap waiting to go off when it’s not cocked. Crazy amount of stress on the limbs at all times.

Last edited:
That is why I don't own one
The Ravin warranty states that you should have all the cables replaced every 2 years or 200 shots, which ever comes first. :)
I wouldn't touch it, other than to get it to a dealership and have the limb repaired/replaced. :oops:
And this is why I don't have one. "Hey, buy my crossbow, but as soon as you use it, you have to spend another couple hundred $$$$ on new limbs, then after you get it sighted in, buy more limbs." I shot my mini at least 50 times this weekend.

@Rutman
You did the right thing. :cool:

I have an R10. It's extremely accurate. I sighted it in, went hunting with it and shot a mature doe. It's been in storage ever since. :rolleyes: Hunting with it was so uneventful that I didn't like it at all. o_O I purchased it a couple of years before I retired, thinking that I'm getting older and sooner or later I'll need it. As it turned out since I've retired, I went back to shooting recurves and longbows. I hope I can finish my life out hunting this way. :)

I will never use the R10 again, unless I get injured or too old to draw a vertical bow.

That is why I don't own one
And this is why I don't have one.
Newer modern crossbows are built as "hot rods", engineered and designed to shoot just shy of a "dry fire". :rolleyes: Another reason why I don't like the one that I own is that I can't enjoy shooting it, because it only has so many shots or shot life in it, before nearly everything has to be replaced. :mad:

I called Ravin tech support and asked if there would be any warranty issues, if I built a heavier Ravin bolt so that the crossbow itself wouldn't be as loud, last longer and get the use of the stored energy in the limbs. They said that would be a great idea and they didn't have a problem with it. :) Adding weight tubes, brass inserts and heavier tip weights were all good ideas to them. It will definitely effect trajectory and the scope speed adjustment dial will have to be turned down to accommodate the slower bolt speed. I think this would be the way to go, if I were interested in shooting it more. However, I have my recurves and longbows to keep me entertained. :cool:

Crossbows have put a lot of people in the hunting woods and that's a good thing. :) Paying over a grand, like I did, is silly. I blame the commercial hype selling point of the "holy grail" of speed and flat trajectory. :( A person could get more shooting enjoyment out of a crossbow, if they purchased a slower speed model and/or one without the preloaded limbs. A standard limb without the wheels/cams would have a longer life span, be just as accurate and not need as much costly maintenance. :cool:

Last edited:
Y’all are freaking me out now…. It might have 50 shots on it, max. I did change the strings and cables on it a couple weeks ago myself, so I could’ve very well did something to cause it.

I just got off the phone with my bow shop. He’s ordering me new limbs. They should be here next week. This things like a bear trap waiting to go off when it’s not cocked. Crazy amount of stress on the limbs at all times.

Sounds like you got a good dealer. Hopefully they take care of you and get you back in a tree.

Newer modern crossbows are built as "hot rods", engineered and designed to shoot just shy of a "dry fire". :rolleyes: Another reason why I don't like the one that I own is that I can't enjoy shooting it, because it only has so many shots or shot life in it, before nearly everything has to be replaced. :mad:

I called Ravin tech support and asked if there would be any warranty issues, if I built a heavier Ravin bolt so that the crossbow itself wouldn't be as loud, last longer and get the use of the stored energy in the limbs. They said that would be a great idea and they didn't have a problem with it. :) Adding weight tubes, brass inserts and heavier tip weights were all good ideas to them. It will definitely effect trajectory and the scope speed adjustment dial will have to be turned down to accommodate the slower bolt speed. I think this would be the way to go, if I were interested in shooting it more. However, I have my recurves and longbows to keep me entertained. :cool:

Crossbows have put a lot of people in the hunting woods and that's a good thing. :) Paying over a grand, like I did, is silly. I blame the commercial hype selling point of the "holy grail" of speed and flat trajectory. :( A person could get more shooting enjoyment out of a crossbow, if they purchased a slower speed model and/or one without the preloaded limbs. A standard limb without the wheels/cams would have a longer life span, be just as accurate and not need as much costly maintenance. :cool:

Excalibur would be that bow...
Or a Hickory Creek mini
Or a Mission Sub One Lite like I've been shooting the past several seasons...

Update

Took it to my bow ship today and he said he call Ravin and have new limbs sent to him and he’ll change them out. He confirmed some of you guys thoughts on it….it wasn’t a good situation. Said it’ll about a week, but I seriously doubt that. Meanwhile I’ll go back to being a real bow hunter with my Bowtech solution ss.

With compounds limb splinters and Xbows limb splinters, as long as the POI is hitting where it is sighted in, then the limbs are not problematic. It's when the POI starts moving from where it is sighted in is when you should be concerned.

Back