• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Fall

I hope he is okay. Scary. Please keep us posted if you hear more details. I still haven’t heard anything more about the fall where the hunter claimed his Oplux broke.

That's scary. Would be interesting to see if it was user error or failure. Praying he fully recovers.

This is why we all scream safety being your first concern when climbing!!! I hope he recovers and has no serious or long lasting injuries from this!! People please check your gear and then check it again and be safe!!!

Just saw this pop up on my Facebook. Happened here in Indiana. "An initial investigation revealed that ropes securing the saddle style tree stand to the tree became loose causing Connor to fall to the ground."
I am sorry to see this. Prayers for recovery. I feel less redundant for using a battle belt with my saddle and lineman loops attached to a second short bridge and second tether.

Human error is right. The story says the ropes came loose.

I like the DNRs response to the public:
"Indiana Conservation Officers encourage all who are hunting from an elevated position to utilize a safety harness and lifelines, and to check all tree stands and straps prior to climbing."

Nothing about after your in the tree...or the fact that the saddle is a harness with lifelines. Unless they are saying the ropes snapped...

I’m guessing prusik failure due to ice? Some guys complaining about that up in mass. I’m sure he will make it I saw the movie and when skynet goes live he leads the resistance.
Nah. This happened in Indiana and it's been pretty warm. Some light frost a few mornings that melted pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I heard this made the local news, but didn't realize it would make its way here too.

I was hunting in the tree next to John when the accident happened. I'll first say that he is okay and is very fortunate to have only suffered compression fractures in his lumbar spine. He was released from the hospital this afternoon and is on his way back home.

The accident occurred when the loop on his tether pulled thru the knot.
We had been in the tree about 2.5 hours when he fell. Johns platform as measured by the CO was 13.5 ft off the ground. He fell straight onto his back to a soft muddy forest floor, missing trees by just inches.

This was an unfortunate case of user error and unchecked/out of spec equipment. He was using a rope from a muddy safety harness as his tether rope, and the tether/carabiner/ascender setup overall was not something I'd have my life depend on.

If you zoom in to the photo (which may be hard as the quality will probably suck, posting from tapatalk) you can see a few things wrong...

1. there is no stopper knot on his tether rope. Shortly after taking this photo I realized it and tied one in for him.

2. There is no tag end of rope beyond the knot in the tether loop. Im thinking it essentially was slipping just a tiny bit over the course of the hunt and it finally just pulled thru.

3. Maybe not a problem, but the strap holding his backpack is overlapping the tether rope. That made me uncomfortable with the tether not above that strap, or at least not overlapped by the strap.
85bdfd085bb2632d3d326d87848759af.jpg

Considering the situation, things could not have turned out better. Were grateful that John is going to make a full recovery and its a sobering reminder of the importance to use the proper gear, and don't pinch pennies when your life is literally on the line.

The response time from the medics and the CO was nothing short of amazing. The EMTs were on the scene within 15 minutes of the 911 call, and John was on the helicopter less than 45 minutes after the fall. Thank you to the Westport and North Vernon fire departments, ICO Michael Ostendorf and the guys in the whirly bird for getting there so quickly. They all did a hell of a job to stabilize John and get him the medical attention he needed.

4820853f251f3bc9d024ddfc3c77e892.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I heard this made the local news, but didn't realize it would make its way here too.

I was hunting in the tree next to John when the accident happened. I'll first say that he is okay and is very fortunate to have only suffered compression fractures in his lumbar spine. He was released from the hospital this afternoon and is on his way back home.

We had been in the tree about 2.5 hours when he fell. Johns platform as measured by the CO was 13.5 ft off the ground. He fell straight onto his back to a soft muddy forest floor, missing trees by just inches.

This was an unfortunate case of user error and unchecked/out of spec equipment. He was using a rope from a muddy safety harness as his tether rope, and the tether/carabiner/ascender setup overall was not something I'd have my life depend on.

If you zoom in to the photo (which may be hard as the quality will probably suck, posting from tapatalk) you can see a few things wrong...

1. there is no stopper knot on his tether rope. Shortly after taking this photo I realized it and tied one in for him.

2. There is no tag end of rope beyond the knot in the tether loop. Im thinking it essentially was slipping just a tiny bit over the course of the hunt and it finally just pulled thru.

3. Maybe not a problem, but the strap holding his backpack is overlapping the tether rope. That made me uncomfortable with the tether not above that strap, or at least not overlapped by the strap.

Considering the situation, things could not have turned out better. Were grateful that John is going to make a full recovery and its a sobering reminder of the importance to use the proper gear, and don't pinch pennies when your life is literally on the line.

The response time from the medics and the CO was nothing short of amazing. The EMTs were on the scene within 15 minutes of the 911 call, and John was on the helicopter less than 45 minutes after the fall. Thank you to the Westport and North Vernon fire departments, ICO Michael Ostendorf and the guys in the whirly bird for getting there so quickly. They all did a hell of a job to stabilize John and get him the medical attention he needed.

Thabks for the info. So what specifically caused the issue?

I'm curious what was left in the tree for gear and what was still attached to him. Is that a ropeman 1 or 2?
Glad he's going to fully recover

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I’m glad he is okay. I’ve spent a few hours staring at the ground, then my caribiner, then ground, etc....

What do you mean tether pulled thru the knot?

The loop on the tree tether pulled through the knot...

Are you saying the tree tether loop came undone? Hard to tell what kind of knot he was using just looking at the photo.

There are a bunch of things that make me uncomfortable about that picture.

Back