• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunting: Packing up

LASOutdoorsmen

I've been thinking about my gear set and wondering whether if I'm saving any weight compared to my Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber. So I ran some numbers and here's what I came up with:
Saddle(straps/pouch)-6lbs
3 LW Sticks-9lbs
_Calls/scent/wind indicator/rope 2lbs
range finder-1lb
Bow/full quiver-9lbs
Bow hanger-.5lb
Release-.5lb
____________________+
28lbs+LW Assassin=34lbs+/-1lb
28lbs+Strap on step platform=30.5lbs+/-1lb

LW Hand climber- 14lbs
_Calls/scent/wind indicator/rope 2lbs
range finder-1lb
Bow/full quiver-9lbs
Bow hanger-.5lb
Release-.5lb
____________________+
27lbs+Scent Lok pack=28.5lbs+/-1lb

Interesting,huh? Please share what you have.

My Aerohunter with TreeStrap/Carabiner, Linesman's belt/Ascender/Carabiner, Pouches 6lb
4 Ameristeps on Strap with Over Center Buckle 2lb
Bag of 15 Tree Bolts with hand drill in shoulder bag 4lb
Gear Hanger... Ounces
My Climbing Sticks are too heavy (4 20" Double Step sticks with Metal Buckles) 12lb
I only use them on trees that I didn't get to prep for Treebolts.

So normally I only carry 12lb (Saddle/Platform/Tree Bolts) plus my Pack and Bow/Quiver.
On some trees I don't have room for a platform. Just use a couple of screw in steps or webbing stirrups (ounces).

Don't have all of my weights, but I prefer to hunt pre-set tree's so all I carry in is:

wearing my saddle
backpack or fanny pack with accesories, always trying to bring less even though I liked to be prepared for every situation.... :oops:
bow in a primos bow sling over my back

When I hunt mobile, the pack that I made for my climbing sticks and platform is awesome. It makes carrying the sticks on my back feel like almost nothing, and I can take my fanny pack of stuff and throw it in there.

Saddle is 6lb
4 Muddy's 11lbs

5 ameristep are 2.5lbs
4 jim stepp are 5lbs
6 ODIN steps and brackets 2lbs
6 ODIN steps (brackets already in tree) 1.1 lbs

Bow and gear stays the same

So 17lbs and whatever platform I choose for the day

Thanks,
Boswell

If I neglect the weight of my bow and have a tree already prepared I'd be carrying 10lbs of gear. Also neglecting the weight of my bow, if I am using my climber I'd be carrying 19.5lbs of gear. :eek:
I should have prepared more trees :(

LASOutdoorsmen said:
If I neglect the weight of my bow and have a tree already prepared I'd be carrying 10lbs of gear. Also neglecting the weight of my bow, if I am using my climber I'd be carrying 19.5lbs of gear. :eek:
I should have prepared more trees :(

Just keep at it, a few trees at a time. It has taken me years to acquire all the trees I have.

Yeah I just got my first saddle in March. As of now I live 1.5hrs away from where I hunt, so when I could go out there I chose to scout since my time was limited. I got my all my shooting lanes cut, only got steps in one tree though.

justsomedude said:
My Aerohunter with TreeStrap/Carabiner, Linesman's belt/Ascender/Carabiner, Pouches 6lb
4 Ameristeps on Strap with Over Center Buckle 2lb
Bag of 15 Tree Bolts with hand drill in shoulder bag 4lb
Gear Hanger... Ounces
My Climbing Sticks are too heavy (4 20" Double Step sticks with Metal Buckles) 12lb
I only use them on trees that I didn't get to prep for Treebolts.

So normally I only carry 12lb (Saddle/Platform/Tree Bolts) plus my Pack and Bow/Quiver.
On some trees I don't have room for a platform. Just use a couple of screw in steps or webbing stirrups (ounces).
Hand drill? Isn't that loud?

The EZ Kut Hand Drill is a MANUAL powered crank handle with a bit on it.
Folding drill. I use it as little as possible....depending upon the tree and how high you go it can be a lot of work.

Pre-season I use a power drill.

justsomedude said:
Folding drill. I use it as little as possible....depending upon the tree and how high you go it can be a lot of work.

Oh okay,. I understand the reason why you use bolts, but your time and energy efficiency is now out the door.

LASOutdoorsmen said:
justsomedude said:

Oh okay,. I understand the reason why you use bolts, but your time and energy efficiency is now out the door.

It is for the first tree, but after you have a tree set up it is quick and easy.

My pack is quite heavy, but it's mostly clothing. We walk in for as much as an hour before light. It's usually a few defrees c below freezing in the morning. I walk in in my long johns and do a full change before getting to the stand. All used clothes and pack go in a green garbage bag and are tied shut in an effort to reduce scent. Warm clothes are a must up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fawnzy said:
My pack is quite heavy, but it's mostly clothing. We walk in for as much as an hour before light. It's usually a few defrees c below freezing in the morning. I walk in in my long johns and do a full change before getting to the stand. All used clothes and pack go in a green garbage bag and are tied shut in an effort to reduce scent. Warm clothes are a must up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love hunting this time of year if it is not too hot because the hunts are nice and easy compared to late season. I throw on 1 pair of scentlok paints and a long sleeve shirt, my rubber boots and I'm good to go.

When it starts getting colder I have to lug so many more clothes! I typically wear my base layer and then my light scentlok to the stand, and then put on my coveralls or whatever additional layers including more socks at the base of the tree.

How many yards/miles are you guys walking because I pretty much wear what I hunt in to my tree? My average walk-in distance is half a mile.

I'm guessing about 1.3 miles. It's hilly country and unfortunately uphill on the way in. About 1/2 is a logging road the rest is off trail. The off trail part is noisy but getting in early allows things to settle down before light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You outta bike down the logging trail. It's much quieter than walking. I hope the hike is worth it. The most I have to walk-in, when I have to, is three quarters of a mile.

This is a gun hunt with dogs.
20f62a77445d6f82d5bf4466d0cac695.jpg

Last year we took 9. I took the buck on the left and the large doe on the right. Neither were being pushed at the time. Each year we see from 15 to 20 deer. It's quite a mix in the group. Some guys just nap in the woods. Others have never shot their rifles before and are afraid to miss. The forest has a lot of slash in it these days so I've been hunting from my saddle.
Since viewing the Eberhart videos the gears are turning. I'll be changing things up in the afternoons.
I'd like to see a few more for the group of us also I'd just like to improve my own skills.

LASOutdoorsmen said:
How many yards/miles are you guys walking because I pretty much wear what I hunt in to my tree? My average walk-in distance is half a mile.

I walk anywhere from a few hundred yards to a couple of miles. Sometimes if I'm hunting flat areas I take my bike but in the hills on these old rocky mining roads I find it easier and quieter to just hike it. I wear my saddle and have whatever I need in my bag. If I need extra clothing I have it in my bag or strapped to the outside of my pack. I wear my bow in a primos bowsling and I carry on my back all the way to the tree.

Fawnzy, that is a nice buck and a big doe! Congrats!

Back