• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Show Us Those Hunting Bikes

BackSpasm

SH Member
Show us your bike setups of all kinds! Motorized or otherwise.

After lots and lots of research, prowling, selling, trading, and deal searching, I finally just finished my DIY e-bike project.

Here is mine to start the thread:

1000W bafang mid drive with a 42-tooth sprocket for hills, 17 amp hour Panasonic cell battery, dpc18 display with USB so I can charge my phone, headlight batteries etc off of my bike battery if need be. Big ole fat tires that so far have liked rolling over just about any surface. I will probably eventually add an air fork and an integrated headlight but right now its an absolute beast and I have zero complaints. This frame is very light and nimble compared to how much it cost. I have been shocked by the kind of hills I can climb on this bike and how quickly it gets me around with such little effort. I like that since I built it I know each component intimately and I can replace, repair, or upgrade them as I see fit from readily available parts without going through a manufacturer. Cannot wait to zip around our farm on this thing scouting, hunting, picking up sheds, and chasing turkeys.Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 3.21.23 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 3.21.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 3.21.29 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

After lots and lots of research, prowling, selling, trading, and deal searching, I finally just finished my DIY e-bike project.

Here is mine to start the thread:

1000W bafang mid drive with a 42-tooth sprocket for hills, 17 amp hour Panasonic cell battery, dpc18 display with USB so I can charge my phone, headlight batteries etc off of my bike battery if need be. Big ole fat tires that so far have liked rolling over just about any surface. I will probably eventually add an air fork and an integrated headlight but right now its an absolute beast and I have zero complaints. This frame is very light and nimble compared to how much it cost. I have been shocked by the kind of hills I can climb on this bike and how quickly it gets me around with such little effort. I like that since I built it I know each component intimately and I can replace, repair, or upgrade them as I see fit from readily available parts without going through a manufacturer. Cannot wait to zip around our farm on this thing scouting, hunting, picking up sheds, and chasing turkeys.

Very nice. How much do you have in the entire bike?

Found it last year at the height of the supply chain issues. Didn’t even haggle with the guy, just handed him a wad of cash.

Runs on 2 CR2032 watch batteries. Battery life = about 200 yards on flat ground.

I’m not sure this whole bike thing has made my hunting any easier or more enjoyable.

Not gonna lie, I’ve had some buyer’s remorse.

4baa2f8399041ba49ec4e9ff8e24b162.jpg

Last edited:

Man why did you start this thread? I'm trying not to spend anymore hunting money until after the new year, but I think I will be pulling the trigger on this one.

I’ve had this Bakcou Mule for 2 seasons and put 140 hard miles on it so far. Tough as nails and pretty much will .go anywhere. I’ve got a 21ah battery that does good, how long a charge lasts .depends on the terrain. I usually charge it after every 3rd hunt. I usually go up some pretty steep rocky hills and that runs it down pretty fast.

8003415a8c371a669fe525d0a6e35f1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man why did you start this thread? I'm trying not to spend anymore hunting money until after the new year, but I think I will be pulling the trigger on this one.

I have a buddy who has a very similar model. He likes it a lot but does say the hub motor gives him trouble with torque on bigger hills. If where you hunt is relatively flat this thing should eat just fine

If anyone on here has interest in building one, I could post a thread with the cost breakdown and main components for a mid drive build like mine. If you don't go fat tire but just regular MTB with big tires you can save a lot of money

I've got a hub drive Himiway 750 watt which is a great flatland bike. I just added a bow scabbard to it that's not in the picture.

I also have a 1000 bafang ultra on a Biktrix juggernaut duo 2. Better hill climber and better control while climbing. More torque, so if you pull a game cart or trailer it should do a decent job of getting that buck out of the woods on trails and logging roads. I haven't had a chance to haul game with it yet. That's an old leather bow scabbard that I used to horseback with. Screenshot_20221025-192525_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221025-192643_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221025-192525_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221025-192643_Gallery.jpg

I may do one if a few more people are interested. You can get an awesome bike on a budget that will smoke a lot of the pre-made ones
I don't have a picture but gear transport has been far more difficult then I anticipated. I have a rear rack that I zip tied a large milk crate too for gear storage. But all I can fit in it is my backpack. I have to carry my tree stand and sticks on my back for the ride. Which is extremely frightening to know I have a v bracket at my neck and sharp sticks to mutilate my body and arms in the event of a crash, which has almost happened twice already on rocks and a 45° angle wet branch on the ground. I bungee my clothes to the stand as well. But the biggest hurdle is room for my weapon. I have handlebars that swoop up slightly, so no handlebar weapon mounts work. I tried putting the bow/crossbow onto the back of the stand as well but that makes something already awkward extremely awkward. I've been nite izing my weapon across the top of the milk crate but as you can imagine, it isn't stable and a disaster waiting to happen.
The only solution in my case is either go back to saddle, so I can get this awkward stand off my back and fit all my stuff in the rear crate. Or get a cart and tow all my gear in that. My current setup now is a accident waiting to happen. My good ol two feet are likely gonna be my main ride this year and figure this out for next year

I don't have a picture but gear transport has been far more difficult then I anticipated. I have a rear rack that I zip tied a large milk crate too for gear storage. But all I can fit in it is my backpack. I have to carry my tree stand and sticks on my back for the ride. Which is extremely frightening to know I have a v bracket at my neck and sharp sticks to mutilate my body and arms in the event of a crash, which has almost happened twice already on rocks and a 45° angle wet branch on the ground. I bungee my clothes to the stand as well. But the biggest hurdle is room for my weapon. I have handlebars that swoop up slightly, so no handlebar weapon mounts work. I tried putting the bow/crossbow onto the back of the stand as well but that makes something already awkward extremely awkward. I've been nite izing my weapon across the top of the milk crate but as you can imagine, it isn't stable and a disaster waiting to happen.
The only solution in my case is either go back to saddle, so I can get this awkward stand off my back and fit all my stuff in the rear crate. Or get a cart and tow all my gear in that. My current setup now is a accident waiting to happen. My good ol two feet are likely gonna be my main ride this year and figure this out for next year
Yea, sounds like a little trailer is your future, bonus for deer hauling!

Kiddie cart can haul all that gear. You can pick them up in the classifieds for about $30.

Back