• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single action revolvers

bigmike23

I want some pics! What is your favorite. I have a couple double actions, but despite my big bore obsession I've never had a single action. Looking at either a Ruger super Blackhawk hunter, or a Mag Research BFR. Freedom arms looks incredible but not even I can justify 3k plus for a handgun

I want a Mag research BFR in .460 so bad! My local gun shop has one and I’ve held it twice. Third time is the charm haha I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .45lc and like an idiot I traded it off. I’ll have to have another one down the road. Where’s the love for the SAA?! I love me some Colt clones

Also now that I’m reloading it’s opened some doors on guns I want. I never used to wanna pay 1$ a shot for some of the bigger bore revolvers.

I want a Mag research BFR in .460 so bad! My local gun shop has one and I’ve held it twice. Third time is the charm haha I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .45lc and like an idiot I traded it off. I’ll have to have another one down the road. Where’s the love for the SAA?! I love me some Colt clones
My .460 in the xframe is probably my favorite gun I own besides my Benelli sbe2. It's insanely accurate and recoil is so manageable. I reload some .45 Schofield's outta it which are hilarious to shoot. You can see the bullet go down range.
I want a BFR in 50 AE. I had a desert eagle which I loved, but being I couldn't hunt with it in PA I sold it off but love the cartridge

My .460 in the xframe is probably my favorite gun I own besides my Benelli sbe2. It's insanely accurate and recoil is so manageable. I reload some .45 Schofield's outta it which are hilarious to shoot. You can see the bullet go down range.
I want a BFR in 50 AE. I had a desert eagle which I loved, but being I couldn't hunt with it in PA I sold it off but love the cartridge
We must have similar tastes! I just bought a Sb3 in 20 gauge a month or two ago. Post a pic of your .460 so I can drool!

I had a Ruger 44 mag. Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel.
My brother has it now.
A coworker offered me a 460 years ago but I think it was like $4 per shot so I passed.
Again if it fills a need like bear stopper for example then I can see it.
For deer or plinking, not so much.

I also made the same dumb move with my colt. I would love a Bfr in 500 jrh but I would compromise with a linebaugh Seville 45 magnum, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a new model super Blackhawk in .44 mag. I haven’t killed a deer with it yet but it’s going to happen

No pics but I've got a repro SAA in .44RM, by Weyrauch (sp). Do you want to scope it, or keep it more repro? For hunting, the Ruger is really tough to beat. Stainless, with integral scope mount. Now I need a .44Mag carbine to go with it...

Screenshot_20220425-103833_Gallery.jpg

From top:

FA 83 in 454-took my largest buck to date

Bowen OM 44 Special conversion-undoubtedly my favorite; the gun I hunt with now.

Ruger NM Flattop in 44 Special-farm gun

Ruger Shopkeeper-for snakes 'n such

For deer, a hot-loaded 44 Special or 45 Colt is all you'll ever need...the Flattops are about perfect. They're way lighter, accurate, easy kickers and will drive a 255-260 gr hardcast lengthwise through an average size deer at any sensible range. The Freedom Arms 454 is an engineering marvel, but it's a flinch-inducer...about 2 cylinders is all I can manage before things go south. The Bowen conversion is perfect; alloy gripframe puts it right at 35 ounces, while the NM 44 Special is around 43 ounces.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220425-103833_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-103833_Gallery.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 6
View attachment 64936

From top:

FA 83 in 454-took my largest buck to date

Bowen OM 44 Special conversion-undoubtedly my favorite; the gun I hunt with now.

Ruger NM Flattop in 44 Special-farm gun

Ruger Shopkeeper-for snakes 'n such

For deer, a hot-loaded 44 Special or 45 Colt is all you'll ever need...the Flattops are about perfect. They're way lighter, accurate, easy kickers and will drive a 255-260 gr hardcast lengthwise through an average size deer at any sensible range. The Freedom Arms 454 is an engineering marvel, but it's a flinch-inducer...about 2 cylinders is all I can manage before things go south. The Bowen conversion is perfect; alloy gripframe puts it right at 35 ounces, while the NM 44 Special is around 43 ounces.
I agree 100%. A good Keith SWC or hollow point loaded warm (Keith load) will do anything you will want. Most often though, a Keith at about 950 fps out of a 4 3/4 inch Flat top is about perfect. The Skeeter Skelton load is my go to. The Keith load is for deer. Pictured below is a Keith HP cast from 16 to 1 alloy. 44 Special.

Attachments

• Keith 429421.jpg
    Keith 429421.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 44 special keith load.jpg
    44 special keith load.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 29
I found this article very interesting where John Linebaugh (known for really big bore and powerful sixguns) discusses the effectiveness of the "good old" 45 colt on game. Read down to the 2nd paragraph under POWER and see what he has to say about a 45 Colt loaded with a 250 grain Keith at about 900 fps.

Writings | linebaughsixguns (johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com)

That is certainly a good read, and quite a balanced approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want some pics! What is your favorite. I have a couple double actions, but despite my big bore obsession I've never had a single action. Looking at either a Ruger super Blackhawk hunter, or a Mag Research BFR. Freedom arms looks incredible but not even I can justify 3k plus for a handgun
The only thing that I DON'T LIKE, in a revolver is the western style grips. :rolleyes: The "bell" shape of the western style grip, always flips up in my hand, from the recoil. This makes it uncomfortable to shoot, hard to control and the backside of the trigger ring/guard always smacks my other fingers. I've owned 2 SBH revolvers in 44 Mag. and sold them both for the same reason of not being comfortable to shoot, because of the grips.

I owned a Super Redhawk that was very comfortable to shoot. :cool:
If I were to own another single action revolver, it would have to have a Bisley Hunter style grip. :)
My most recent hunting handgun purchase was a R.I.A. long slide, in 10mm. I'm looking forward to hunting deer with it, this fall.
B1.jpg

Think I’m gonna start reloading some black powder revolver loads. Anyone else done this?

The only thing that I DON'T LIKE, in a revolver is the western style grips. :rolleyes: The "bell" shape of the western style grip, always flips up in my hand, from the recoil. This makes it uncomfortable to shoot, hard to control and the backside of the trigger ring/guard always smacks my other fingers. I've owned 2 SBH revolvers in 44 Mag. and sold them both for the same reason of not being comfortable to shoot, because of the grips.

I owned a Super Redhawk that was very comfortable to shoot. :cool:
If I were to own another single action revolver, it would have to have a Bisley Hunter style grip. :)
My most recent hunting handgun purchase was a R.I.A. long slide, in 10mm. I'm looking forward to hunting deer with it, this fall.
View attachment 65210
Great picture! Killing a good buck with a handgun is no easy task, good job!

There was another recent thread on handgun hunting from the saddle which spurred my interest in getting the Ruger NM Blackhawk one .357 Mad/ 9mm convertible out I have owned for a few years out to get it prepped for deer season. I mounted a Wiegand mini mount for a red dot to it and probably will use a Burris FFIII I’ve had laying around to it. Just deciding now on a load and a holster system. This gun is a pleasure to shoot and is accurate but I’ve not shot it a lot. 85FB19C6-8481-4E80-8AAD-A03312141922.jpeg

Think I’m gonna start reloading some black powder revolver loads. Anyone else done this?
Yes, and it is about the safest way to reload. Use 3F (FFFG) powder and you want to get a slight compression of the powder when you seat and crimp the bullet. Compression is key. As long as its 3F or even 2F you can't put too much in a handgun cartridge, unlike smokeless powder, where you can easily overcharge. Measure the depth of the bullet will go into the case and fill the case just past that a little so the bullet compresses the powder when seated. A good bullet lube for black powder loads in SPG. Black Powder reloading and The Black Powder Cartridge News magazine. Black powder shooting supplies, black powder lube and rifles, black powder accessories, black powder guns, cowboy accessories, spg. (blackpowderspg.com)

Cleanup afterward is pretty easy. Use very hot water with some Balistol oil mixed in. Balistol in the only oil I know of that mixes with water. The water will neutralize the nitrate salts and flush them away and the oil will remain in the nooks and crannies after the hot water evaporates. Then clean as usual and oil.

Back