• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smoked him!

Noonespecial

Who’s getting tired of hearing this phrase? Man I sure am!!! Not only do I feel it’s disrespectful to the animal but it’s a horrible term. Maybe I’m old fashion but when I take an animals life there is some celebration and a time to pause and thank God. I feel more hunters are loosing respect for the hunt and animal. I think this is hurting the hunting community and people are now seeing it when posting content on social media. What are your feelings?

I find it annoying. I find the whole "be respectful to the animal" thing overdone too. I'm not saying we should do terrible things to them, but in reality they are just a forest cow that tastes good, not some mythical creatures.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What if you kill a buck and then smoke the meat? Is it then acceptable to say I smoked him?

After smoking I may put the meat in my fridge which is only 20 feet away from my pit. So then is it acceptable to say, I smoked him and he didn’t go 20 feet?

asking for a friend.

Last edited:
I agree. I haven't watched much hunting media content lately. I like to see a good clean shot and an animal that dies fast when I do see it. But catch phrases seem to just be a hot button to like a video and get likes. There was the conversation on here about social media hurting deer hunting. Everyone trying to be a celebrity in the hunting world. But we still have most freedoms left in America, so I personally don't want to tell someone what they can and can't put out there. That's censorship.

Who’s getting tired of hearing this phrase? Man I sure am!!! Not only do I feel it’s disrespectful to the animal but it’s a horrible term. Maybe I’m old fashion but when I take an animals life there is some celebration and a time to pause and thank God. I feel more hunters are loosing respect for the hunt and animal. I think this is hurting the hunting community and people are now seeing it when posting content on social media. What are your feelings?

Does anyone actually say this when hunting alone and not on camera?

I have no problem saying “smoked him” or “Didnt GO 20”
I was in my stand in OH this year when my brother called me crying and he said “I just smoked a giant”.
Sorry but there was no disrespect for the giant buck he just killed with his bow.
Some people say different things from the thrill of killing a animal they have hunted so hard.
I believe you should respect the animals you hunt, but I’m not going to be a lame deadbeat in a tree when I just killed a Booner.

I'm kinda the opposite. I'd rather watch someone get jacked up and about jump out of the stand after they shoot a big buck than cry for 20 minutes and tell me their whole life story.

I will agree that hitting one in the last rib and watching him run off with 27" of arrow sticking out is not "smoking him".

I have no problem saying “smoked him” or “Didnt GO 20”
I was in my stand in OH this year when my brother called me crying and he said “I just smoked a giant”.
Sorry but there was no disrespect for the giant buck he just killed with his bow.
Some people say different things from the thrill of killing a animal they have hunted so hard.
I believe you should respect the animals you hunt, but I’m not going to be a lame deadbeat in a tree when I just killed a Booner.

So you call aloud "Smoked him"

I totally understand it's just excitement and repeating what you heard on TV. But really, that's what you say?

No disrespect intended, because I agree with your point about intention. It just seems an odd thing to say, especially when archery hunting. Yet, there it is.

Also, I don't think every touchdown, sack, and int need a celebration dance. So that's my personality. I don't think it's lame to not call aloud.

I personally don't care what term you use when shooting a deer. There is no right or wrong answer for it. Also, we have no idea how these hunters in front of the camera process their thoughts on the killing of that animal. What we see on video may not be all that there is. Someone could say they 'smoked him' and then off camera cry over the deer once they find it.

So you call aloud "Smoked him"

I totally understand it's just excitement and repeating what you heard on TV. But really, that's what you say?

No disrespect intended, because I agree with your point about intention. It just seems an odd thing to say, especially when archery hunting. Yet, there it is.

Also, I don't think every touchdown, sack, and int need a celebration dance. So that's my personality. I don't think it's lame to not call aloud.
Yes I say “SMOKED HIM” and I have cried like a baby for 20 min 30’ up in a tree.
I don’t hunt on TV, you see a lot of fake people who could care less if they shoot a giant. My two brothers and I hunt nothing about public land in 4-6 states a year and we work our tails off for every animal we kill.

Do we know where the popularity of "smoked him" got off the ground? I thought it was the Drurys. I find them to be very respectful to the game they pursue (so far as one can when ending life). Certainly they don't translate as a wanton bunch of killers.

Yes I say “SMOKED HIM” and I have cried like a baby for 20 min 30’ up in a tree.
I don’t hunt on TV, you see a lot of fake people who could care less if they shoot a giant. My two brothers and I hunt nothing about public land in 4-6 states a year and we work our tails off for every animal we kill.

Hey, smoke away. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But it's not like I can hear ya.

I find it annoying. I find the whole "be respectful to the animal" thing overdone too. I'm not saying we should do terrible things to them, but in reality they are just a forest cow that tastes good, not some mythical creatures.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Don’t let Uncle Ted hear you say that...lol

It would be interesting to catalog what "celebrity" hunters most often say after the shot.

I'll start...

Benoits = "He's down."

Beast = "Got me another one" (I actually find it incredibly annoying).

Reactions: CP3
Back