• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT problems

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Ok so I am still new to SRT and still working the kinks out. I really like climbing this way but if the issue I'm having can't get fixed I may have to reconsider my climbing method. So here's what's going on...

-Walk up to tree with pre set throw line already set

-I connect the tag end to the throw line and pull the rope up the tree

- I feed the other end of the throw line through the delta link on my girth hitch and continue to pull and my rope always gets snagged up right at the girth hitch or delta link. I've tried both. I've also tried connecting the throw line at the edge of the tag end of the rope and about 6 inches up the rope. Is there a trick to this I'm not seeing? Sometimes I can get it through the delta link and sometimes I can't. Either way it makes a lot of noise having to sling the rope back and forth trying to work it through and it's annoying to deal with.

Hmm, if I'm picturing what your describing right in my mind maybe some kind of sleeve that goes over where the two connect so there isn't an abrupt edge? I mean picture if you wrapped the transition with electrical tape there would be nothing to snag. I'm not suggesting electrical tape, that would suck to use. But a slip on slip off equivalent that would serve the same purpose.

If nothing else you've convinced me to get out there and real world test my setup sooner rather than later.

Where the throw line is tied to the tag end of the climbing line. When trying to pull through the girth hitch or delta link it snags up and can't be pulled through most of the time.

Where the throw line is tied to the tag end of the climbing line. When trying to pull through the girth hitch or delta link it snags up and can't be pulled through most of the time.
Try the hot nail trick.

It's pretty nuts how much ropes snag on things once the ends are out of reach, isn't it?

Yes. I've had to break out a climbing stick to reach the rope ends to pull it through a few times. I need to get this fixed. Hopefully this does the trick

Try tying 12inch stick intowhere Both lines connect. Should work as a lever to prop the main line over the crotch.

. Here is the idea behind my thought.
I have not had a chance to try this yet but I ran into the same issue of getting the throw line and the mainline through the crotch. This what I found from my research. Hope it helps. Let me know.

Hot nail trick worked like a charm. I did that and wrapped the area that the 550 cord goes through the rope with electrical tape to keep it all in line and in place. Thanks for the tip.

Hot nail trick is all well and good, and I do something equivalent with my rope, but if I understood your original problem, I think you may have missed an easy fix....
Reviewing:
You've attached your rope to your throwline, you're pulling the rope up, you feed the throwline through the delta link, but when the delta link reaches the tag end of rope (where you knotted the throw line) it may get stuck. Did I get that right?

Assuming your rope is long enough, you could just wait and hook the link to the tag end of rope when both are in reach. My rope is 45ft long so I can usually do this.

One lesson you probably learned from this, and I learned recently, is to attach your retrieval rope before you start raising the rope, in case you hit a snag or change your mind. Just stating this for others who may benefit.

Cheers!

Lol, Pesq....if his rope was long enough it couldn't be a problem because both ends would still be on the ground. I'm with murph on this btw, rope is heavy, I plan on carrying no more than I have to, meaning ill have to deal with the same issues.

Lol, Pesq....if his rope was long enough it couldn't be a problem because both ends would still be on the ground. I'm with murph on this btw, rope is heavy, I plan on carrying no more than I have to, meaning ill have to deal with the same issues.

Maybe... I dunno. Sometimes we miss the easy things.

50ft of 11mm climbng rope is around 3lbs. Not bad, I say. 30ft is about the minimum you'd want, so that would be 2lbs. I might pay a 1lb for the flexibility provided by a longer rope.

Anyway, what I actually do is use 9mm rope, so my 45ft weighs in at about 2lbs.

All trade offs.

Back