• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stiff or weak?

bigcat93

SH Member
Jul 15, 2015
NJ
When bareshafting, are you guys looking for slightly stiff or weak?

My initial thought is stiff since feathers/wraps etc will add some weakness

GeoFish

SH Member
May 5, 2021
Kentucky
@GeoFish thats right, weight up front weakens. So bareshaft here, decent? That was from 7 yards.
I would think it's OK. I never used arrow wraps. But when I shot a bare shaft, I tried to get the arrow to fly straight. Adding feathers to the rear did not effect arrow flight that I could tell.
I always shot bare shafs into a hay bail. I hung a white garbage bag in front of the hay so I could see the arrow fly.

Reactions: alabamahunt22

BTaylor

SH Member
Oct 23, 2019
Central Arkansas
Did you shoot the target sitting on the ground? If so, might want to try a few with the target up high enough for you to be shooting level or real close to it.

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 11, 2017
Garrett County, MD
@GeoFish thats right, weight up front weakens. So bareshaft here, decent? That was from 7 yards.

I believe you are just starting out with a stickbow, correct? If so, I would fletch a couple of those arrows and go shoot. That's close enough for now. As you shoot more and work on form things will likely change a little. The fact it's a little weak will give you the ability to cut the arrow a little in the future to stiffen it if you are still getting those results later this summer.

I usually spend several days shooting bare and fletched shafts after getting the tune close and will sometimes see minor differences in my shot day to day.

bigcat93

SH Member
Jul 15, 2015
NJ
@BTaylor shooting standing for now down at target

@GCTerpfan yeah that’s correct, that’s what I’m about to do now. Go fletch a couple and start shooting when I can. Probably this weekend

Reactions: GCTerpfan

BTaylor

SH Member
Oct 23, 2019
Central Arkansas
I believe you are just starting out with a stickbow, correct? If so, I would fletch a couple of those arrows and go shoot. That's close enough for now. As you shoot more and work on form things will likely change a little. The fact it's a little weak will give you the ability to cut the arrow a little in the future to stiffen it if you are still getting those results later this summer.

I usually spend several days shooting bare and fletched shafts after getting the tune close and will sometimes see minor differences in my shot day to day.
Spot on

bowhunthard88

SH Member
Apr 9, 2020
Dingmans Ferry, PA
Close to perfect or slightly weak preferred. The weight of fletching will stiffen an arrow slightly, in theory, but the aerodynamic effect is probably greater. All that aside, an arrow that tunes well typically negates the visible effects of the added fletching.

Reactions: bigcat93

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Aug 21, 2020
Westminster Maryland
I say that is good. Go shoot for fun. But if you REALLY want to get that precise, you can weight how much a fletched arrow weight compared to the bareshaft arrow. wrap electrical tapes at the back until they are both the same weight. This way you know how the same weight fly without the aid of fletching.

BUTTTTTTTT....seriously just go out and shoot, your bareshaft picture look close enough.

bigcat93

SH Member
Jul 15, 2015
NJ
Yeah weather and work took a turn so hopefully getting some shooting in this weekend. Then back to the compound for my 2 weeks of turkey season