• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sub 1lb CF/Au stick

Fozzy317

So there is a plethora of stick options out there but I just felt inclined to try my hand at making a stick that's under a pound and with the features I want( cam cleat, step distance). The steps were waterjet cut out of 6061 plate and the tube is 25mm od with a 2mm wall. 3m epoxy at all connections and titanium bolts for the steps to shave a tiny bit of weight.

So far it's holding together with no issues but I still need to test it out more before I take it to height. It's grabs the tree really well and hasn't shown any signs of stress yet.

She's a beaut Clark! Curious what the weight savings are between this and an aluminum post?

She's a beaut Clark! Curious what the weight savings are between this and an aluminum post?
Don't remember the exact number off the top of my head but I wanna say it was around 3-4oz. At this point with the cleat and rope it comes in to 15.8oz. I gotta give companies that makes sticks credit, hitting under a pound (w/ attachment method) is not an easy task. I don't think they can get much lighter without exotic materials and LOTS of costly machine ops.

Man that is light! cam cleats are not light.
This^^^ right here! I didn't realize how heavy till I started adding everything up. Hence the different cleats in the pictures. The Schafer was lighter than the harken but the minimum line size meant it ended up being a heavier total package. The ronstan cleat overall is my winner at this point.

One of these with a larger angled platform like a U.P. would make a hell of a one-stick setup.
I'm still thinking I might try something like that as well. Don't know that it will be possible to get ot under a pound...unless someone has a few large chunks of titanium laying around to donate to the cause lol.

I'm still thinking I might try something like that as well. Don't know that it will be possible to get ot under a pound...unless someone has a few large chunks of titanium laying around to donate to the cause lol.

Not under a pound but even a one-stick under 2 or 2.5 would be awesome. My converted Muddy Pro one-stick comes in at 4 pounds 5 ounces with the amsteel rope and a 2 step amsteel aider.

Screenshot_20231121_185019_Gallery.jpg

Back