• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 9

Season opened yesterday here. I'm a loser and didn't make it out.... next Friday is first hunt for me....3 day quota hunt in a place called 4 creeks, then the following weekend another 3 days in a different wma called Cary state forest, then the weekend after that 3 days at another wma called guana river, a weekend off, then 3 days in guana river again but with a muzzleloader in hand.....that's what is officially on the books. I'll have other opportunities on public land later in the season when the military base opens up the archery only areas and if I'm lucky, possibly some private land hunts. This is my 8th season deer hunting as a self taught adult who didn't have a mentor or a clue.....still learning but i know enough to get me into some trouble....skunked last year....maybe I will have the luck with me to were I can help u guys with some points but don't hold ur breath...hahahahaha

Opening weekend here as well but won't get out until next weekend.

Quantity of deer in my area isn't the problem, it's the quality with alot of yearlings and few bucks. Still, I've got 3 tags so I should get plenty of meat. My goal this year is to solely hunt archery, as was my plan last year, but that also depends on my early season success.

I ran trail cameras for the first time in multiple season in the wma I get to hunt twice....2 of them malfunctioned and the remaining I got at least 3 different legal bucks...nicest 1 had full antler on 1 side (4 points) and a twig on the other...hahaha.

I don't have the luxury of targeting individual deer and set up on trails and high density of tracks and hope for the best.

The 4 creeks is new to me and I've never been before. Going in blind. Cary I know pretty good but I am the guest on that hunt and kinda limited having to share a vehicle with the host hunter....we have gone and scouted a couple times but we've had lots and lots of rain since then so good majority of the sign we found around the creeks and ditches will be flooded so that will more than likely be a going in blind kinda deal. Guana river, I grew up hiking and exploring out there. I know certain areas of that wma really well and got those bucks on camera in an area I'm familiar with....that place is my highest hopes of connecting but I'm pretty optimistic. Each year I have more and more encounters...last season saw more deer than any prior but for whatever silly reasons I never got a shot.

I take pics for the wife and kids to see some of the neat things I encounter out there and I'll share with u guys.....and if u wanna share I'd like to see. I like seeing how much different the woods look from other parts of the country and the trial and tribulations u go thru

It’s still several days out but this is the forecast, perfect early season weather.
7a3d7f39042aa35f25d65cfa849c9c4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20220918-193235~2.png

This year seems to be cooler than average and almost unheard of having no rain in the forecast...that swirler storm out there can easily change all the projected....hopefully it stays way out there

What's going on fellas? Been a very slow start to the season, I was deployed in the spring, I got no winter scouting done, I got very little to no scouting in through the summer, and I finally found time to ensure the xbow was hitting well.... between deployments, 3 kds/wife, finishing my degree, and work life ran away with my time...... One thing I pride myself on is my ability to take note and detail every hunt. So this year I'm starting my season relying heavily on info from past hunts..... this will be my first season with a xbow, should be interesting.....

It's been a while since I downed a deer. Tough year, wife had some health issues, I was not able to get out and scout like I would of liked to. Trying to get to OHIO this weekend possibly and get some time in the woods. We have a tripped planned for the end of October. I plan on hunting local more this year. I hope to contribute.

Come on guys.... Why u sound so down? Anything can happen out there...pre season scouting is important but it definetly isn't needed

I'm so excited to get out there!....it's supposed to fun right? I like just being out there and if I see something that's just a bonus.

Come on guys.... Why u sound so down? Anything can happen out there...pre season scouting is important but it definetly isn't needed

I'm so excited to get out there!....it's supposed to fun right? I like just being out there and if I see something that's just a bonus.
Not down at all, laid out facts is all. I'm super jazzed up about this coming Saturday, it the WV opener. I have a handful of spots the typically produce, last year I killed a real good 8pt on the opener, I was only on stand maybe 25 minute before he came through pushing a doe..... in September... typically I have between 20-30 cameras out over western half of pa and the northern panhandle of wv, I only have 4 out now, so this will be a kiss year for me.... keep it simple stupid

Right now, there's a 70% chance of rain and t-storms for Friday afternoon. If it's a hard rain, I'll stay in the house and scout from the comfort of dryness. Otherwise, I'll be in a tree Friday afternoon-Sunday morning. Biggest challenge is that it's a tight area so you have to really work the wind.

Back