• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether Handles

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
In light of a recent post about tether related broken fingers, I've been thinking about a method to keep fingers and hands from between the rope and the tree. This seems to work really well.
Made a little video on how I made them and will post soon for those who are interested. I KNOW it can be improved so feel free to fire away! Definitely a problem that needs to be adressed.
9ab4de04e512e993bf570b9d3748e987.jpg
7a7750e005953921dcef0060a2985171.jpg
965f876d53b438fcc7e00a2e661f7fc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I posted about sewing 1 inch webbing to the rope might be an alternative. I didn't think this would weaken the rope but then I wondered and quickly deleted my post. It might be OK but I don't know. More testing needed. Sewn loops in the end of the rope are frequently used and nobody seems concerned.

I posted about sewing 1 inch webbing to the rope might be an alternative. I didn't think this would weaken the rope but then I wondered and quickly deleted my post. It might be OK but I don't know. More testing needed. Sewn loops in the end of the rope are frequently used and nobody seems concerned.
I saw that. This seems to be a quick easy get around. Plus, its adjustable on the rope, so you can slide it around as needed.

Wow. Those look great. They look wide enough to loosen and control the tether pretty effectively. I was having trouble picturing something that would allow moving the tether quietly but that looks like it just might work.

I’ve never heard of people getting their hands or fingers caught in the tether ropes. I’m thinking back to how I’ve climbed and hung in a saddle so far and can’t think of how this is happening to people. If I’m using the tether as part of the climb, I’m likely using the linemen’s belt to lean on while loosening the tether, move it up and retighten, then repeat. I guess I can’t see how your fingers and hands would get bound up in there, unless you slip and fall in the middle of that, but then my instinct I think would be to grab the rope going away from the tree or the climbing stick or something. Not grab ahold of the looped rope going around the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never heard of people getting their hands or fingers caught in the tether ropes. I’m thinking back to how I’ve climbed and hung in a saddle so far and can’t think of how this is happening to people. If I’m using the tether as part of the climb, I’m likely using the linemen’s belt to lean on while loosening the tether, move it up and retighten, then repeat. I guess I can’t see how your fingers and hands would get bound up in there, unless you slip and fall in the middle of that, but then my instinct I think would be to grab the rope going away from the tree or the climbing stick or something. Not grab ahold of the looped rope going around the tree.

This is just one of many threads I've read recently that prompted this...
[/URL]

This may be a hazard specific to one sticking.

I'm gonna need to get some amsteel as well. Those look great. What are you gonna call them? Going simple like tether handles? Digit Savers? Tether handles because of that dumbsss guy in GA makes kind of a long acronym and unfairly drags my state into my dumbassery I think. Opposit of oh **** handles? No **** handles?

Basically I was one sticking and as I was moving my tether up with both feet on the bottom step my stick kicked out and my hand was trapped behind the tether against the tree as I fell. Really wasnt enough time to grab anything. A lot of factors with several errors on my part. I've found it difficult to move my tether up a tree quietly especially on pine trees with loud bark which led me to some unsafe practices which shall not be repeated.

I'm gonna need to get some amsteel as well. Those look great. What are you gonna call them? Going simple like tether handles? Digit Savers? Tether handles because of that dumbsss guy in GA makes kind of a long acronym and unfairly drags my state into my dumbassery I think. Opposit of oh **** handles? No **** handles?
Hahahaha! You are not the first brother! I've been suffering hi pucker factor when moving the tether up for a while now. Reading your post just drove home the fact that it can actually happen!

I will be making 2 of these, but what I didn't see what you did was what you did with the amsteel to keep it in place. Did you bury it somewhere? Inquiring copycats want to know.

i love the idea, the only problem i see is that you have to fully detach the rope to place and remove them right? it could cause issues with pulling your rope down for those who 1stick up and rappel down.

Back