• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Quest for the Perfect Index Release

jgleas114

SH Member
In an unfortunate sequence of events my old Stan Xtinction2 blew up, for lack of better terms, during a practice session this afternoon. Frustrated because I had spent the past 6 months perfecting my ENTIRE hunting setup, I headed to my local pro shop. I shot 3 releases, the Cobra Moment, B3 Claw, and a Scott Verge. Of the 3 the B3 was the first to go. I know a lot of people like this release but it wasn't for me. The next was the Cobra release. This was probably the closest to my Stan and I felt like with some adjustment it could work. Then I shot the Scott Verge. It was different, way different than what I was used to.

I have had a handful of handhelds, Nock 2 it, Stan Onnex, Stan Shootoff, Carter Honey 2. I always shot better, especially the Honey, with a handheld but I didn't feel comfortable in a hunting scenario. Again, I know A LOT of folks do it. To add to it the handhelds gave me pause in Louisiana humidity. I have had a release slip out of my hand before practicing. The Scott Verge is the best of both worlds.

Why I like it and why I think you should give it a try:
  1. Wrist Strap - Put it on as soon as you leave your truck and you don't have to worry about which pocket you put the release in. I know some handhelds do have a wrist strap, but still... Louisiana humidity.
  2. The Click - It allowed me to pull the travel out of the release with my fingers and then pull through the shot using back tension. Similar to a hinge. Also if I need to make a quick shot, once you pass the click you can punch the trigger to squeeze it in a tight spot, IF NEEDED. I don't advocate punching the trigger, but sometimes you just have to get the shot off quickly
  3. Target Panic Help - Once you hear the click, all you need to do is relax and pull through the shot. You easily get a feel for what Joel Turner preaches about the pin floating on your target.
  4. Anchor - Like a handheld, I found that the anchor was much more repeatable given the altered hand position.
So needless to say I left with the proshop with 2 Scott Verge releases. I am a firm believer that when it comes to releases 2 is 1. If you're on the fence, buy one and try it! You can always resell it on this forum or AT.

I was looking at the Verge and Carter Like Mike. I found a Like Mike for a good price on AT and bought it. Should be here Friday. There were a few Verge releases posted as well in the classifieds. I’ve had off and on issues with target panic. I’ve tried a few handhelds. I like the security of a wrist release. I just tend to punch the trigger with my Little Goose.

Great review @jgleas114! I just picked up the Carter “Whatever” release with the multiple weight options to transition from punching to pulling through with an index style release for hunting. If this release doesn’t work for my slight shot anticipation issues, I will certainly give the Verge a try.

It took only a few sits to find a flaw with this release.

The release is bulky, real bulky. The 2 finger trigger is just too long for my liking. It was difficult to secure in my sleeve, it got caught on my bino, as well as knocking around my binos and range finder. The quest for the perfect release continues. I will be putting one of the 2 releases I have on the classifieds.

I am minialist and mobile hunter. This is a great release. One of the better ones I have shot, just too bulky.

What should I try next?

I have used a like Mike for many years. Go back and forth between that and a thumb. I think I am going back to my like again after shooting my Nock2it all summer. I have also tried many index releases. I think the like Mike is the best of the best. I would like to try a like Mike II

I have a Carter Quickie, I shoot it back tension and love it.
I went from a Perfex to a carter Quickie about a year ago, think I’m running the medium spring. I like it but it became a pain to reset about 6 months ago, not just that it didn’t auto reset, it actually took some fiddling to reset. Two weeks ago it miraculously healed itself. The length strap constantly creeps on me, every shooting session I have to reset to two paint marks I put on it. I like it and I plan to keep shooting it indefinitely but wonder if anybody else has had these little issues.

Still my favorite to this day. Did put it on a Scott wrist strap though.

Attachments

• 1696957775608.png
    1696957775608.png
    434.7 KB · Views: 13
Been shooting the spot hogg Wiseguy for the last 5 years. I like it. Crisp trigger (adjustable) and smooth.

My 12-year-old TruFire Hurricane (I think) with a buckle strap is just as crisp as ever. I have earned the crap back outta the $60 I spent on it in reliability. Strap has stretched a little, so If I have to get a new release I’ll get the TF Smoke foldback. It’s same price point, similar design, and I can’t see changing too much of a good thing that works for me.

My 12-year-old TruFire Hurricane (I think) with a buckle strap is just as crisp as ever. I have earned the crap back outta the $60 I spent on it in reliability. Strap has stretched a little, so If I have to get a new release I’ll get the TF Smoke foldback. It’s same price point, similar design, and I can’t see changing too much of a good thing that works for me.
If it's an original Hurricane, the "new" caliper trigger design from TF is completely different. No such thing as "crisp" for the new Smoke, all the way up to the Edge... Try it first.

If it's an original Hurricane, the "new" caliper trigger design from TF is completely different. No such thing as "crisp" for the new Smoke, all the way up to the Edge... Try it first.
That’s why I save receipts.
Good lookin’ out, homie.
Will go to the archery shop instead of Dunham’s to make my final selections lol.

Never get rid of a good release. Mine is 35 years old this season and shoots as good today as it did new.

It took only a few sits to find a flaw with this release.

The release is bulky, real bulky. The 2 finger trigger is just too long for my liking. It was difficult to secure in my sleeve, it got caught on my bino, as well as knocking around my binos and range finder. The quest for the perfect release continues. I will be putting one of the 2 releases I have on the classifieds.

I am minialist and mobile hunter. This is a great release. One of the better ones I have shot, just too bulky.

What should I try next?
Truglo detonator, still using the first one I purchased but I have 3 backups in case they ever stop making them. Crisp, tight, and easy. The ratchet tightening is the bees knees. I never even tried handheld bc you know, Louisiana humidity lol and I also didn’t want to re learn an anchor point. Tried and true wrist strap with the hook. Shot a full capture for years and never got over the feeling of the string being where it opened idk why I’ve never had it fail but it trips me out lol

I bought a like Mike 2 last winter during league. I love it.

I’m not a fan of handheld releases. They are easy to loose and because I shoot a lot of recurve/longbow, when I feel pressure on my fingers I have the urge to let go.

Buddy had one with some random misfires and sent it back to Stan
The Gen 1 SoleX seems to have had some issues, so Stan reworked it. I bought a used SoleX off the AT classifieds that was barely functional when it arrived. After trying some adjustments, I sent a contact form to Stan with the details and they sent an RA. It was a Gen 1 with issues, so they sent me a Gen 2 on the same wrist strap I sent in and it has been perfect for several months. I like it enough to have resold a Carter RX1 to fund a second SoleX as my hunting release. Zero misifres or issues with either of them. I really like the small size and the crisp single seer trigger.

Back