• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The scrap yard may be calling for your delta link

Red Beard

SH Member
Saddle hunting is dangerous. People have died doing it. Know that if you hunt from an elevated position, there is a higher percentage of you not coming home to your loved ones than if you stay on the ground. Take the words/ideas of dudes on the internet with a grain of salt; very few of them are experts. I am not an expert. DO NOT run out and climb 20' to attempt what you see below. Some of the concepts you see below may be physically demanding in nature. DO NOT attempt what you see without assessing your own physical abilities and limitations. Think about it. Test it. Proceed with caution.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I'd like to toss out an idea for discussion. Every morning after my shower, I put on my clothes, fill my pockets, put on my watch and affix my bracelet to my wrist with... a jam knot.
20220917_132339.jpg

Thinking about that made me reflect on the frequency of which I employ the jam knot for various tasks and its overall effectiveness. Made me recall that a jam knot has never failed me. In fact (and interestingly saddle related), I used a jam knot last year to hold my knee pad to the tree.

All this prompted me to remove the delta link from my tether and replace it with a jam knot. Sure enough, it worked for me. It works on the same principle as a Blake's hitch in that the rope binds on itself and doesn't allow the stopper knot at the end to pull through the eye.

I think there are a few pros to the jam knot:

1. It completely does away with the metal noises and weight associated with a delta link.
2. It is stuuuuupid simple to employ. Only thing you have to tie at the base of the tree is an overhand knot.
3. The ball of barrel stopper knot itself can be used as a tether assist handle if you choose. Use your bow hanger as a tether assist handle on the other side.
4. It is simple to untie when you're done if using Canyon or HTP as your tether.

Below are a few pictures geared to start conversation.
20220917_104730.jpg20220917_104432.jpg20220917_104447.jpg

Here it is on another tree.
20220917_105202.jpg20220917_105211.jpg

Turns out, it does remarkably well holding all the gears when no load is applied to the carabiner.
20220917_121227.jpg20220917_121233.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. Would like to hear some thoughts from people who do this day in day out?
How does it climb red? Loosen and tighten with out much trouble? Did you 2T climb with it?

i'd suggest a step by step picture set on how to tie it or link to such, less someone tries it off the completed knot pictured and gets it wrong
As I think about it more, it is just an overhand knot. It can be tied a couple different ways (around tether from the topside, over and through... around from the topside, under and through... around from the underside, over and through... around from the underside, under and through...) so I'm not really sure there is a wrong way to do it. The way I have been doing it is below.

@thedutchtouch asked if one could retrieve their rope from the ground if they employed the jam knot with a rappel rope. If you tie it like I did in the video (around from the underside, over and through), you can see there is potential for that.

looks like it would work . Should be safe as well ,waiting for more replies to see what others say ?

I don’t use a delta link on my tether rope, only on my rappel rope so it releases easy from the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tying this around my leg under careful observation of my cat, this has potential. It does appear to break easy so 2TC should work fine with this yet the cinching down keeps in in place negating the need for various "keepers" to keep the tether from slipping.

Once cinched down, the double or triple fishermans shouldn't pull through but would suggest dressing it first so the the fishermans is close to the overhand and tightened down in the unlikely event that the overhand jumps over the fishermans as there's no redundancy.

Criticism aside, lacking the need to tie a bight with a figure 8 should allow for a more compact package and possibly increase overall strength.

Back