• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The sun giving you away

Here u go Mr @Plebe ......

What has the sun reflected off of that has either given ur position away to critters or other hunters or has given away the position of another hunter to u? Binos? Gun barrels? Broadheads? Ur glasses?

I don't know. Deer don't do press interviews after they run off.

I can't speak to the difference in deer eyes vs human eyes either, but humans who want to kill each other try to eliminate reflection.

I've actually done a little playing around with it....I have purposely reflected the sun off my watch face at different critters....however I haven't tested on deer yet.

The quickest and harshest reaction was from a bobcat and 2nd was turkeys. They are outta there fast. Squirrels could care less and hogs don't give AF. Racoon didn't run but slunk away after repeated attempts to shine it in the eyes. Wading and song birds don't react but birds of prey do. Armadillos don't care and I pretty sure that's all I've tried

I've actually done a little playing around with it....I have purposely reflected the sun off my watch face at different critters....however I haven't tested on deer yet.

The quickest and harshest reaction was from a bobcat and 2nd was turkeys. They are outta there fast. Squirrels could care less and hogs don't give AF. Racoon didn't run but slunk away after repeated attempts to shine it in the eyes. Wading and song birds don't react but birds of prey do. Armadillos don't care and I pretty sure that's all I've tried

Who knows, deer might think it's a Mylar ballon and head to you to bed.

I switched to contacts last year specifically for this reason. I'll also stealth strip stuff to block anything shiny or that reflects any light at all, even though it doesn't need to be stealth stripped for noise reasons.

I actually can't think of a time that I've been busted from glare, if it's happened, I didn't know about it. I was out in WY on an archery antelope hunt last September and my friend's bow gave all all sorts of glare as he was stalking (whatever the new darton flagship model was last year). Anything looking in his direction would have wigged out from that, it was like a 32" signal mirrow

I'm not sure if it was glasses or binos but I spotted a hunter a looooong way away because of the sun reflecting off....they was getting blasted by the rising sun and for maybe 20-30 minutes every time they turned a certain way sun glinted off

I'm not sure if it was glasses or binos but I spotted a hunter a looooong way away because of the sun reflecting off....they was getting blasted by the rising sun and for maybe 20-30 minutes every time they turned a certain way sun glinted off
Why you should wipe everything with a really thin coat of mud, set in you tree with your eyes closed and use the force to know when to take your shot.

Do people think somewhat reflective surfaces don't exist in nature? Mountain laurel is blinding on a sunny day.

Not saying it's smart to go out there in a Mylar suit but if people are blaming the reflection of their glasses for not killing deer, they are either on some kinda different wavelength with understanding deer behavior, or they're just telling the world they're friggin nuts.

1691073074507.png

Do people think somewhat reflective surfaces don't exist in nature? Mountain laurel is blinding on a sunny day.

Not saying it's smart to go out there in a Mylar suit but if people are blaming the reflection of their glasses for not killing deer, they are either on some kinda different wavelength with understanding deer behavior, or they're just telling the world they're friggin nuts.

View attachment 88243
The problem is the sound emission caused by light refraction in the ultraviolent spectrum. When deer see the glare off your scope they hear Admiral Ackbar screaming "It's a trap"

I think the reflection along with the unnatural movement is what gets people busted. Deer live with reflective objects and probably know what reflects.
The lazer beam coming off the opposite mountain side from the next hunting YouTuber's Pit Vipers probably will send off a red flag to the critters.

The problem is the sound emission caused by light refraction in the ultraviolent spectrum. When deer see the glare off your scope they hear Admiral Ackbar screaming "It's a trap"

Now I know you're just trying to sell me your Celluar Refractory Absorbing Product (CRAP). So it works magic-like? Got any pictures of it sitting next to a half-tame turnip-addicted one-fiddy to prove it?

if people are blaming the reflection of their glasses for not killing deer, they are either on some kinda different wavelength with understanding deer behavior, or they're just telling the world they're friggin nuts.

Ah I forgot the third reason, they're trying to sell you something....

I did hear about this 1 guy who was having such a difficult time with the sun reflecting off stuff he just gave up on hunting during the day

Was he doing calisthenics in the tree? Hunting during the day can be challenging. If you're truly enlightened I guess night hunting is the way to go but I'd hate to shine a light on tactics that work so well.

View attachment 88243

Blue exists in nature.

I heard @BCHunter got his Snuggie buck during a very stormy week and upon spotting a patch of blue the buck said aloud, "I'm headed for clear skies". Boy was he right.

I have a theory. Based on all my hours of scientific research..... :rolleyes:
It's not about the camo pattern, it's about the texture. Lots of guys swear by the leafy suits. I agree. I have a set of camo that is fleece like on the exterior. It has a "softer" look to it. My theory is it absorbs some of the reflection or re directs it so it's not so bright. That deer can pick up on the reflection of some kinda light. That pimp hoody @Nutterbuster is rocking in the photo looks sweet to me. Texture look. Not flat. It is one thing I kinda hate about Scentlok. A lot of the stuff looks like good camo pattern, but I feel with some sun beams hitting you, I stand out big time. You can pick a hunter out easily in a tree if the sun is on them with that kinda camo. Your eyes dart to it.
My two cents.

Back