• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Two Prusik Lineman’s Belt

peteherbst

Anyone else running two prusik knots on your lineman’s belt to get around limbs? I’m thinking one lineman’s belt, two prusik knots, a ropeman, and four biners.

To get around a limb, just clip your first biner/prusik around the limb and into your lineman’s loops, unhook spliced eye to go around limb and hook back in. Same with the other side. Hook in prusik/biner to lineman’s loop over limb, unhook ropeman to go around limb and then hook back in.

In theory I’m thinking this would be just fine as long as the limbs are small enough. Safe? I think so?

I’m interested to hear others thoughts.

Look up "ultimate positioning lanyard" on youtube. I'm doing something similar with one rope, carabiner at each end, ropeman and prusik in the middle.

I’ve done a variation of this before. I had a really long linesman belt, biner on both ends, and a prusik in the middle tied to right linesman loop. The prusik stayed tied to me at all times. I would take one tail end with a biner, around the tree, clipped on left side. Other end just hung like normal with biner in pocket. Climb like normal. Get to limb, take biner out, clip to tag end, go around tree above limb, clip to left linesman loop where other biner is attached(which does put two biners touching, can be noisy), disconnect “lower” biner, store in pocket, keep climbing. Since a prusik works in either direction, it was simple. Now I found, in my opinion, it was difficult finding a good universal length rope that would reach back around the tree (felt limited to a narrow range of tree diameters) without having a bunch of slack to take up which left me feeling kinda unattached for a moment. I found that I don’t need a second linesman belt as much as I thought I did. Now, I keep an old Lone Wolf strap and small wire gate biner in my pouch to use as a temporary “linesman” to hold me connected until I can raise my linesman belt over the limb. Just girth hitch linesman loop and clip to the other side. It packs down very small and weighs next to nothing.

I’ve run a second linesman belt in a pinch...not really the answer you’re looking for, but it’s simple and only fails if you make it fail.
I’ve also just used my tether over the limb in question if I’m not too high up yet, but it’s not as safe as second linesman IMO.

Are you ascending with only line belt (only use tether at hunting height?) Maybe use tether as a second lineman belt (is that what you meant above NATHAN?)

Are you ascending with only line belt (only use tether at hunting height?) Maybe use tether as a second lineman belt (is that what you meant above NATHAN?)
I ascend with linesman only and generally only use my tether at hunting height, and I should clarify that I use identical ropes marked with tape so I know which is used for which. But what I mean specifically is that I don’t like to use my tether (FA harness, not saddle) as a LB cuz I have a mental hangup about putting undue lean stress on a prusik that’s supposed to catch me if I fall from a stand. Therefore, if I know I’ll be hanging from a tree with limbs at hunting height, I’ll bring a third rope so I don’t have to stress my tether knot. If I forget that third rope, I use tether as second LB but I just feel it’s not as safe to stress your tether knot as it is to just carry a dedicated second LB.

I have 2 linemans girth hitched to my saddle, one on each side. Both with ropemans. and I carry a tether. Its worth the weight for me. I am going over branches nearly every tree.

My lineman belt and tether are pretty much the same. Can be used for either one however to be honest when I get to a limb I just unbelt and go around it

Back