• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ultimate One Stick/Ultimate Platform Mods

2Sloe

SH Member
The EWO Ultimate One Stick/Ultimate Platform is awesome, but there were a couple of small things that I was able to improve. These are easy fixes that increase ease of use when climbing with the stick.

The short pull wire. The pull wire that came on it was only about 6” and I found myself losing ground because I could not reach the pull wire and would have to either have lower myself or almost turn myself upside down to reach it. So I unbolted the ultimate platform, threaded a 18” Loopable Nite-Ize gear tie through the platform, then ran the top bolt through the gear tie loop when I reinstalled the platform. Now I can easily reach it without having to be an acrobat. I just fold it down when not in use.
FC41433D-C312-4112-A8F0-B9B4E6FAD454.jpeg2C601794-FE52-479F-A9D3-D745E7FE3535.jpeg

Amsteel rope keeps sliding down the stick to the bottom step. This one bothered me the most. The full bury Amsteel rope kept sliding down to the bottom step as I was climbing and I was constantly having to move the rope back up to the bottom of the cam cleat. So I removed the bottom cam cleat bolt and put coax cable clamp around the rope, on the bolt, and put the nut back on. This should now hold the rope at the bottom of the cam cleat while climbing. The rope can still move inside the clamp, but it can’t slide down the stick and is held at the bottom of the cam cleat. I had the plastic clamps on hand, but you could just as easily make a clamp with a strip cut out of a milk jug or a plastic bottle and a drill bit.
4FC6F495-3159-491A-8DD8-57AD68BCEC31.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve had mine for a week or two and haven’t had a chance to hardly look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@2Sloe do you think your feet will catch on the nitize and it be in the way in platform mode? It seems like it makes the middle of the platform unusable...but I don't like the cable sticking up either. Could you do a similar attchment as the amsteel on the back of the stick in the top bolt with nite ize coming up thru the V of the tree bracket?

@2Sloe do you think your feet will catch on the nitize and it be in the way in platform mode? It seems like it makes the middle of the platform unusable...but I don't like the cable sticking up either. Could you do a similar attchment as the amsteel on the back of the stick in the top bolt with nite ize coming up thru the V of the tree bracket?
I don’t know, I would have to look at that.... as far as my configuration, I never even notice it when I get to height. you can just use your foot to bend it back up against the tree. And frankly, you don’t spend much time standing dead on top of the platform.

I use plastic coated 1/16 metal cord and crimp the ends and I got about a 12” loop to grab to. I think I did 34” and double it over and crimped and shoved it in the hole on the other side of the clamp cleat so when I pull the cam cleat stops it. I used rubber castration bands and slid up my tube and rested it on my full buried amsteel and another castrations band on my amsteel rope

Yep, the little pull up wire is kinda gay.
I use gear ties instead.

Your clamp is a cool addition!

The EWO Ultimate One Stick/Ultimate Platform is awesome, but there were a couple of small things that I was able to improve. These are easy fixes that increase ease of use when climbing with the stick.

The short pull wire. The pull wire that came on it was only about 6” and I found myself losing ground because I could not reach the pull wire and would have to either have lower myself or almost turn myself upside down to reach it. So I unbolted the ultimate platform, threaded a 18” Loopable Nite-Ize gear tie through the platform, then ran the top bolt through the gear tie loop when I reinstalled the platform. Now I can easily reach it without having to be an acrobat. I just fold it down when not in use.
View attachment 47730View attachment 47731

Amsteel rope keeps sliding down the stick to the bottom step. This one bothered me the most. The full bury Amsteel rope kept sliding down to the bottom step as I was climbing and I was constantly having to move the rope back up to the bottom of the cam cleat. So I removed the bottom cam cleat bolt and put coax cable clamp around the rope, on the bolt, and put the nut back on. This should now hold the rope at the bottom of the cam cleat while climbing. The rope can still move inside the clamp, but it can’t slide down the stick and is held at the bottom of the cam cleat. I had the plastic clamps on hand, but you could just as easily make a clamp with a strip cut out of a milk jug or a plastic bottle and a drill bit.
View attachment 47732
I finally got a chance to pull out my ultimate one stick and my new saddle to try practicing shooting from it for the first time. On my second round I had a catastrophic failure. Due to side pressure on the top step, the Amsteel rope slid down and the stick fell out from under me. I had a heck of a time getting down from only 5 feet up. Once I got down I got on saddlehunter.com and searched ultimate one stick mods. I came across this and improved on this idea by adding Structural integrity. I used 1 inch webbing from EWO, cut to size, duct taped it together, drilled a hole through it, put a torques socket through It, And heated the torques with a lighter to melt the edges of the hole. Then took the bolt off the cam cleat and put it around the Amsteel rope. Thanks for the great idea.

Attachments

• 59B96B26-6BF9-434B-AE0A-92068E44C10E.jpeg
    59B96B26-6BF9-434B-AE0A-92068E44C10E.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 7B2D7641-9B17-4B30-B2FE-7DD6A691443C.jpeg
    7B2D7641-9B17-4B30-B2FE-7DD6A691443C.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 147
I finally got a chance to pull out my ultimate one stick and my new saddle to try practicing shooting from it for the first time. On my second round I had a catastrophic failure. Due to side pressure on the top step, the Amsteel rope slid down and the stick fell out from under me. I had a heck of a time getting down from only 5 feet up. Once I got down I got on saddlehunter.com and searched ultimate one stick mods. I came across this and improved on this idea by adding Structural integrity. I used 1 inch webbing from EWO, cut to size, duct taped it together, drilled a hole through it, put a torques socket through It, And heated the torques with a lighter to melt the edges of the hole. Then took the bolt off the cam cleat and put it around the Amsteel rope. Thanks for the great idea.
Yep, that would work also. WRT your failure, that’s the beauty of rappelling, you can get down safely at any time or situation. Good luck!

Like your mod, but I have a quick question, or an observation. I have at least 25 climbs on 1 my stick this summer, applying alot of side pressure every time I go up (I am 5'11 and between 220-230) putting it thru it's paces way before season starts. Based on your description, it sounds like your stick was awful loose on the tree, or at the least not set completely. I am not familiar with you nor how you climb, but I might advise setting that stick a little harder, especially before you intend to side load that platform.

View attachment 47730View attachment 47731

View attachment 47732
[/QUOTE]
I finally got a chance to pull out my ultimate one stick and
Yep, that would work also. WRT your failure, that’s the beauty of rappelling, you can get down safely at any time or situation. Good luck!
i do repel. The problem was all my weight was on the saddle and I couldn’t get the weight off the saddle onto the Mad rock safeguard so I was stuck for a while.Maybe if I was hanging from a tether not my repel rope I could’ve got unstuck more easy I don’t know.

Like your mod, but I have a quick question, or an observation. I have at least 25 climbs on 1 my stick this summer, applying alot of side pressure every time I go up (I am 5'11 and between 220-230) putting it thru it's paces way before season starts. Based on your description, it sounds like your stick was awful loose on the tree, or at the least not set completely. I am not familiar with you nor how you climb, but I might advise setting that stick a little harder, especially before you intend to side load that platform.
I would say the failure was because I was hanging from a bent tree. Because of the bend the lower bracket just could not get tight against the tree. In a hunting situation I would not hang from a tree like that but I’m just practicing in my backyard and wanted to be at a low level

The human mind is a funny thing. I’m not gonna lie I panicked trying to figure out how to get down. Thinking about it later on I realized I could’ve just pulled out my hand ascender with foot loop and got my weight off the saddle bridge that way. The problem was I was hanging from a ropeman 1 and had the madrock safeguard below it as a backup. I see now that I need to reverse them.

I carry a long, climb rated daisy chain that I use to go around limbs….and to have as a foot loop should the need arise. Probably could have run the bottom end of your rappel rope through your bridge biner to form a loop below you that you could put your foot into and take weight off your bridge. Always good to think about how you are going to get down if something happens, like dropping your madrock, in which case you could use a biner and a munter hitch to rappel down. Good Luck!

Back