• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

waist strap for new LWCG .5?

Will Harris

SH Member
just got a new .5 and really like it. i really like their shoulder straps (now has load levelers), just dont think that will be enough for a long trek with meat and gear. i'm older and want to distribute weight of meat and gear to my waist.

looking at the XOP waist strap. does anyone have this and used it on a .5? any other waist strap that's better and will work with the .5's shoulder straps? do i need to dump the straps and go to an integrated system?

would like to use the straps that i've already paid for, but will happily receive any advice.

thoughts? advice?

Havent used the set up you are talking about but it will probably come down to how long your torso is and how you can attach the waist belt as far as transferring weight. The .5 is not a real long platform so if you are tall it may be an issue getting the fit right.

I have not used it for an 0.5 (and don't own a 0.5)...but all my treestands are carried with military surplus MOLLE pack waist and shoulder straps. You can lash them on with strong cord. These are available new and used from surplus dealers and ebay. The pic below is it attached to the frame. You can do that and then lash the frame to the underside of the stand or (when possible) lash the straps/belt directly to the stand. This is very comfortable and durable.

1686241928394.png

Last edited:
I have used it for an 0.5 (and don't own a 0.5)...but all my treestands are carried with military surplus MOLLE pack waist and shoulder straps. You can lash them on with strong cord. These are available new and used from surplus dealers and ebay. The pic below is it attached to the frame. You can do that and then lash the frame to the underside of the stand or (when possible) lash the straps/belt directly to the stand. This is very comfortable and durable.

View attachment 85895

Yup. Exactly what I recommend. A large military waist belt works fine. You can get them on Ebay for 20-40 depending on the condition. They are actually really comfortable and easy to install on hangon stand.

i see the point yall are making about my height and platform height. i'm 6'1" so to use a waist strap effectively, i'd have to run the setup pretty low i would imagine if even possible.

Looks like that would work pretty well but for $150 I would lean more towards looking for a used kuiu venture.

i see the point yall are making about my height and platform height. i'm 6'1" so to use a waist strap effectively, i'd have to run the setup pretty low i would imagine if even possible.
Might need to have the waist belt mounted so the end of the stand is close to the top of the belt. In my mind, I'm not sure how effectively it would work for weight transfer and I am 6'. It might work just fine though. I am thinking about it purely from a load hauling standpoint as you mentioned hauling game. For just carrying your gear and stand it should work just fine. Throwing the extra weight of a critter and adding some distance changes my perception of what works well, lol.

If you use the MOLLE plastic frame, then you can position the straps wherever you'd like. I'm 6' on the dot and the frame has plenty of adjustment. You can put the straps several locations and choose the ones that give you the most space.

The downside is that any type of frame to give you the length is going to be heavy compared to such a light stand and also might hang past the stand a bit.

I keep hearing heights thrown around, but torso length is a better yardstick. I'm 6'3" and torso length was not a problem for setting up my LWCG belt and shoulder straps. :)

just got a new .5 and really like it. i really like their shoulder straps (now has load levelers), just dont think that will be enough for a long trek with meat and gear. i'm older and want to distribute weight of meat and gear to my waist.

looking at the XOP waist strap. does anyone have this and used it on a .5? any other waist strap that's better and will work with the .5's shoulder straps? do i need to dump the straps and go to an integrated system?

would like to use the straps that i've already paid for, but will happily receive any advice.

thoughts? advice?
The short geometry of the .5 stand means it will not perform particularly well when carrying heavier loads. Being 6’1” you likely have a longer torso, exacerbating the issue (but not necessarily so, torso length is a better measurement, but few people likely know theirs, unless they are into backpacking or have been properly fitted before.). Here is a brief description of the challenges of the dimensions on the .5 when trying to use it as you are. Either accept that it won’t be the most comfortable, use a frame pack with a longer torso length (which means you’d have a .5 attached to a frame pack, which is redundant redundant), or step up to the .75.

you are 100% correct in stating that torso length is the proper measurement to be using. i think a lot of people havent been measured or measured correctly for their torso length, so height is the next best parameter to consider.

the thing here is that the .5 platform is so short that torso length becomes a factor such that it calls into question if a waist belt will even help. i looked at my hiking backpack and old hunting backpack that i have been using for climbing sticks, and i think the .5 platform is too short for me to have a waist belt help.

I've used the basic LWCG harness, the harness with an added lumbar pad, and have as well tried the stand with several frame systems (Popup 28, Kuiu Pro, Kifaru Duplex Lite, Seek Revolution).

In my trials, adding a lumbar pad is the least I would do, but really going to the Popup28 at a minimum for game hauling.

The PU 28 couples with the .5 pretty nicely, imo.

But the Seek Revolution is the bees knees with a .5.

I'll likely be trying the Exo K4 at some point too, for the heck of it. But as it stands I'd choose the Seek Outside Revolution frame for your requirements 10 of 10 times.

The short geometry of the .5 stand means it will not perform particularly well when carrying heavier loads. Being 6’1” you likely have a longer torso, exacerbating the issue (but not necessarily so, torso length is a better measurement, but few people likely know theirs, unless they are into backpacking or have been properly fitted before.). Here is a brief description of the challenges of the dimensions on the .5 when trying to use it as you are. Either accept that it won’t be the most comfortable, use a frame pack with a longer torso length (which means you’d have a .5 attached to a frame pack, which is redundant redundant), or step up to the .75.
agree 100%.

i'm used to making 2 trips and looks like i still will be. #1 i take out sticks/platform/bow and give the deer time to expire and #2 i go back in with meat pack or cart and processing equip. i can handle that.

THANKS TO ALL for the help and advice. greatly appreciated.

you are 100% correct in stating that torso length is the proper measurement to be using. i think a lot of people havent been measured or measured correctly for their torso length, so height is the next best parameter to consider.

the thing here is that the .5 platform is so short that torso length becomes a factor such that it calls into question if a waist belt will even help. i looked at my hiking backpack and old hunting backpack that i have been using for climbing sticks, and i think the .5 platform is too short for me to have a waist belt help.

Like I said, its not been a problem for this guy who is 6'3" in the evening. I've never seen an average torso length per height chart, but I do suspect many wear their hip belts too low.

Like I said, its not been a problem for this guy who is 6'3" in the evening. I've never seen an average torso length per height chart, but I do suspect many wear their hip belts too low.

i was guilty of wearing belt too low also until i went into an REI and ran into a real hiker and he measured me properly and showed me the right way to wear a pack. well worth the time and effort.

This is my .75. The centerline of the waist belt is close to the bottom edge of the stand.
The distance from the centerline of the waist belt to where the shoulder straps attach to the stand is 21".
My torso length is 21" so the stand packs well for me.
The TX 5 suspension system locates the waist belt about 3" higher shortening the distance to about 18". A no go for me.
Screenshot_20230605_154417_Gallery.jpg

This is my .75. The centerline of the waist belt is close to the bottom edge of the stand.
The distance from the centerline of the waist belt to where the shoulder straps attach to the stand is 21".
My torso length is 21" so the stand packs well for me.
The TX 5 suspension system locates the waist belt about 3" higher shortening the distance to about 18". A no go for me.
View attachment 85897
thanks much! appreciate you taking the time to share this.

FWIW, i bought the XOP waist belt and it works great for me. most of the weight is on the waist now. hope for heavy load testing in the next few months.

Back