• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What Style Of Wrist Strap Release Do You Prefer And Why?

What Style Of Wrist Strap Release Do You Prefer And Why?

• Single Caliper

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Double Caliper

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Hook

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ricky racer

I just started shooting a compound bow again after 30 years of hunting with a stick bow. I've got an old Fletcher Concho style of release from 30 years ago that I've been using. I'm wanting to upgrade but I'm not sure which style of release to get. I'm not interested in a thumb, back tension or hinge release, I'm only interested in a wrist strap, index release. Help me decide which way to go.

I’ve got a true fire that is adjustable length and foldable. It’s like 90 bucks. I have been pretty satisfied with it for the last 4 years.

It’s a double caliper but I’m not sure I prefer that style. They say the others are more repeatable.

I have a Scott Archery caliper type.

My thoughts are to release without any side loading possible that may be given with a hook style...maybe I'm overthinking ?

My thoughts are to release without any side loading possible that may be given with a hook style...maybe I'm overthinking ?
Went with a Carter Quickie starting last season, but I do wonder about this.

Carter like mike 2. I like a wrist strap for hunting purposes and it’s as close to a handheld style trigger as I’ve seen in a wriststrap.

I just got the Scott Ghost (hook style) for Christmas and love it for the 25 or so shots I’ve taken with it (consider that when taking my advice!!!). I had a hog under me before daybreak a few weeks back and couldn’t get my Scott caliper style release on the d loop to save my life. Didn’t even light the MONSTER (I’m sure if it) up because I didn’t want to know what I was missing an opportunity at.

Anyway, a hook style allows you to put it on by feel easier by placing your thumb on the left side of the d loop and bringing your fingers with the release hook to it and into the loop. That’s all I know about it and have been practicing it.

The Ghost also folds back, but then it wants to flop left and right, so I put a short kydex sleeve around it to stop the rotation around the pivot point. Seems to be working great so far…all 25 shots….

I think there are 10x more words in this post than shots I’ve taken with the release I’m pushing…

Anyway, my old Scott caliper release is very nice, but I don’t like that it’s held on by a 1/2” piece of webbing, though that makes it’s length infinitely adjustable, it also allows it to instantly find any metal within 10yds of my right wrist to clang against.

https://scottarchery.com/products/ghost

I just got the Scott Ghost (hook style) for Christmas and love it for the 25 or so shots I’ve taken with it (consider that when taking my advice!!!). I had a hog under me before daybreak a few weeks back and couldn’t get my Scott caliper style release on the d loop to save my life. Didn’t even light the MONSTER (I’m sure if it) up because I didn’t want to know what I was missing an opportunity at.

Anyway, a hook style allows you to put it on by feel easier by placing your thumb on the left side of the d loop and bringing your fingers with the release hook to it and into the loop. That’s all I know about it and have been practicing it.

The Ghost also folds back, but then it wants to flop left and right, so I put a short kydex sleeve around it to stop the rotation around the pivot point. Seems to be working great so far…all 25 shots….

I think there are 10x more words in this post than shots I’ve taken with the release I’m pushing…

Anyway, my old Scott caliper release is very nice, but I don’t like that it’s held on by a 1/2” piece of webbing, though that makes it’s length infinitely adjustable, it also allows it to instantly find any metal within 10yds of my right wrist to clang against.

https://scottarchery.com/products/ghost

I've got a Tru Ball caliper release that was given to me. I haven't shot with it yet but I have clipped it on the D loop and played with it a few times. Out of the first 5 times I clipped it on the D loop, it misfired 3 of those time. Evidently the jaws got caught on the D loop and didn't fully close. By really paying attention to how I clip it on the loop it hasn't happened again. However, that few times really got me thinking, what if I get in a pressure situation or low light and a good buck is walking past me?? I think I might be leaning towards a hook style too but I really want to hear from others.

I just started shooting a compound bow again after 30 years of hunting with a stick bow. I've got an old Fletcher Concho style of release from 30 years ago that I've been using. I'm wanting to upgrade but I'm not sure which style of release to get. I'm not interested in a thumb, back tension or hinge release, I'm only interested in a wrist strap, index release. Help me decide which way to go.

I use a tru ball max hunter, I get a lot of consistency from a thumb release, at an unbelievable price.

My backup is a wrist truball assassin, great for the price.

I prefer a hook, but it can't be a small hook. The Carter Quickie 2 is excellent for a simple release with a short body and large hook. I prefer the hook because it is easier to get on the string when a deer approaches.

Most pro archers use a hook and twist the d loop while anchoring their (usually) hand held thumb or hinge release. If it was more sensitive I'm thinking they might avoid it and have come up with similar releases (caliper) with the same design and trigger (but largely haven't).

I've got a Tru Ball caliper release that was given to me. I haven't shot with it yet but I have clipped it on the D loop and played with it a few times. Out of the first 5 times I clipped it on the D loop, it misfired 3 of those time. Evidently the jaws got caught on the D loop and didn't fully close. By really paying attention to how I clip it on the loop it hasn't happened again. However, that few times really got me thinking, what if I get in a pressure situation or low light and a good buck is walking past me?? I think I might be leaning towards a hook style too but I really want to hear from others.

Pick up a TruFire Hardcore. Absolutely great hook style release that is reasonably priced, easy to adjust, great response, and has been used by many to kill lots of critters. Can’t go wrong with it imo

You can pick one up on Amazon for like $65-$75

As long as its a buckle not velcro first and foremost.
I had a long run with a tru ball tornado and before that and a favorite was the hook with the rope loop on it. You wrap the loop around the string onto the lever. I still have a head, just need to get a new wrist strap for it.

Pick up a TruFire Hardcore. Absolutely great hook style release that is reasonably priced, easy to adjust, great response, and has been used by many to kill lots of critters. Can’t go wrong with it imo

The TruFire Hardcore is one I've been interested in but I have a question. Once fired, does the hook reset itself or do you have to manipulate it back into position for a second shot? The Fletcher DrawPoint automatically resets itself after a shot and I like that but I like the deeper hook and other features of the Hardcore as well. Also, I'm not sure if I would like the swept back trigger on the Hardcore verses the more right angle trigger on the DrawPoint. Please give me your thoughts on the trigger, one verses the other.

I think truball has a 3 hook index/wrist strap coming out today that uses a magnetic to reset the hook

This^^^^ only I just bought a backup, brand new for $58 bucks on ebay. I don't even look down at my string anymore when I go to shoot.

I think you can take the release off of the concho. My first and still favorite caliper release is the fletch hunter. I had the original wrist version that I later put on a scott buckle wrist strap and had a concho as my back up.

Whatever style, I always like for the head to be swivel able. This reduce the twisting of the D-loop IMHO. Right now my go to is the Trufire Hardcore. I like a hook because its a smoother motion to get it on the d-loop, no need to pull or press anything, just swipe.

Does the hook automatically reset after a shot or do you need to manipulate it to reset?
It does but I check it every time because when it fails to reset (it eventually will) it needs to be cleaned. I blow mine out with my air compressor and lightly oil it with unscented bow lube before the season starts.

It does but I check it every time because when it fails to reset (it eventually will) it needs to be cleaned. I blow mine out with my air compressor and lightly oil it with unscented bow lube before the season starts.
If it fails to reset, I assume you can reset it manually to make it useable, is that correct?

Back