• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why Solid Colors?

ChasingDinner

I’ve been seeing a lot of discussions on wearing solid colors this season, but not a lot of reasons why people are ditching camo for solids.

I wear everything from old carharts to newer camo patterns, so definitely not knocking anyone for choosing one or the other.

Does anyone care to share why they prefer solids over camo? Personally I prefer camo most of the time.

I dont think its a push toward solid, more like a push against camo as a needed tool in your arsenal. One argument is that you can wear your work casual clothes to go hunt after work or sneak in a few hours here or there without a need to change clothes.

Some pieces I can only get in solid print. Honestly camo fools humans. Animals are drawn by movement no matter how minuscule and scent will always be king that’s how our Grandpappys were able to kill bucks wearing flannel while smoking a cigarette. I will acknowledge that camo does help break up our pattern a bit but I don’t think it’s the boon to hunting that marketing tells us it is. I’m more interested in the tech involved like wind/water proofing, insulation, odor control, etc.

If companies like Sitka made the same pieces in solids I think I would purchase the solids instead. I wish more companies made them. Finding something that is wind proof (huge to me) and solids (without being noisy) is difficult.

I should clarify, I wish they made them in pieces I wear such as the stratus (not blaze orange) and fanatic.

Gotcha. Probably not much market for wearing the fanatic about town. The Jetstream coat used to be very close to the Stratus. I don't know about the current line though.

Gotcha. Probably not much market for wearing the fanatic about town. The Jetstream coat used to be very close to the Stratus. I don't know about the current line though.
Yeah I totally get it on their end and you are right about the fanatic...although I think I would wear it sledding with the kids, etc or to a frigid football game. The jet stream is close, but much thinner, much louder. If they offered the stratus jacket and pants in solids I think I would find a way to buy them at full price right now. Or, if they offered the traverse cold weather hoody with wind stopper. Maybe someday.

There are camouflage patterns I like but I think they are not really necessary to fool deer. Turkeys are a different story. Neutral colors in brown, greens and greys are pretty effective. Even white if hunting in snow is effective. For deceiving animals I think a lack of movement is more important than any particular pattern. I think large blocky camouflage is better since it does not "blob out" past 20 yards. It makes you look like something other than a human. I have often thought that a camouflage with vertical alternating patterns of dark and light would be good and mimic the shapes we see in the woods, namely tree trunks.

I really became indifferent to any particular brand or pattern of camouflage after I started bowhunting deer off the ground wearing hunter orange. I hate wearing that nasty orange, but I do have to say that I don't believe deer can see it.

There are camouflage patterns I like but I think they are not really necessary to fool deer. Turkeys are a different story. Neutral colors in brown, greens and greys are pretty effective. Even white if hunting in snow is effective. For deceiving animals I think a lack of movement is more important than any particular pattern. I think large blocky camouflage is better since it does not "blob out" past 20 yards. It makes you look like something other than a human. I have often thought that a camouflage with vertical alternating patterns of dark and light would be good and mimic the shapes we see in the woods, namely tree trunks.

I really became indifferent to any particular brand or pattern of camouflage after I started bowhunting deer off the ground wearing hunter orange. I hate wearing that nasty orange, but I do have to say that I don't believe deer can see it.

They called it treebark (or just Realtree)

Attachments

• 3A729CCC-DE9C-4CB9-97E4-63D71D81F915.jpeg
    3A729CCC-DE9C-4CB9-97E4-63D71D81F915.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 49
I personally guarantee you that my camo underwear make a difference...

No joke. I wear base layers only on my treks in and out of the woods when I stand hunt deep in the mountains. I usually hunt all day when I hit the big woods, but had put a stand up for my dad that I had to take out and work the next morning (plus long drive home) so I decided to pack up at 1pm.

Just after getting down, I decided to creep to the edge of a basin to have a look. Stopping to do so, I hear deer running right at me. It's a doe and big buck. I didn't have time to move but that buck 100% saw me. I had solid black base layer bottoms on.

When everything is on the line, trust your camo underwear to make the difference.

Plus they hide skid marks better, when you're nearly run over by the buck of your dreams and have oh-**** to show for it.

So you can wear it into the restaurant for breakfast and dinner and the guys in camo aren’t sure if you’re a hunter or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you can wear it into the restaurant for breakfast and dinner and the guys in camo aren’t sure if you’re a hunter or not.

I never wear any camo of any kind when I am pre-season scouting (public land). I dress as normal as I can, and try to come off like a bird watcher, hiker, acid tripper, whatever - anything but a hunter. So, solid colours would cover that well.

I never wear any camo of any kind when I am pre-season scouting (public land). I dress as normal as I can, and try to come off like a bird watcher, hiker, acid tripper, whatever - anything but a hunter. So, solid colours would cover that well.
"Who me? Nope. I'm just an acid tripper carrying a bow."

Back