• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Step Ladder Review from a Newbie

jmbknvc

Finally got out away from the office and home to go down to the lease, camp house. Well, I made time to go sight in my pendulum sight on the bow. Since next weekend is the opener in my state and hope to get out at least one day. Also took the time to start getting familiar with the Wild Edge Step climbing system. When I got to the camp house, aka “Father-in-Law’s” place, is where everyone parks their campers. I had him and another “Old Timer” watching me climb for the first time. I did mess around with a couple steps in the back yard on a pine tree but did not climb. This time was my first ascent up to 16-18 ft and place a lock-on for target practice. As suspected, it is going to take a little time to become proficient in the climbing method, but don’t think it will take that long and was very impressed at how quite the system is straight out of the box, no mods.

As I got everything arranged at the base of the ash tree, they got the side-by-side where they could watch and of course make comments. The first four steps took a little bit to get placed. Not due to tying the knot or camming over the step, but getting the distance between the steps, which was about two feet apart for me. Then was the lineman’s belt length. Needed to find that sweet spot. Where you can climb without being to close to the tree, which caused issues with the steps. Besides having issues reaching the next step the lineman’s rope would get caught on the step rope and loosen the step. The other is being to far out, which makes you lean back so far to keep tension on the lineman’s rope that it is very difficult to place the next step. Which leads me to my first upgrade is going to be a Ropeman ascender for one-hand adjustment on my lineman’s rope.

After finding the sweet spot on the lineman’s rope, the next issue I ran across was the steps rope. This issue was all MY fault and will tell everyone to STRECHER their new ropes before use as recommend. What I had happen was that I got the step in place and would go to climb up. When I got all my weight on the step it would slide down slightly. I felt like it was the rope because it was acting just like the YouTube video stated. So, I would climb back down and retie the step and cam it back over. Then would pull on the step, almost hanging on the step to make sure it was good and seated against the tree. Then back up the tree I went. I will stretch the rope out some more before the next climbing session.

For my first use of the steps, I would say that for the most part it was successful and Wild Edge has created a great product. Now here are a couple items that I learned using the system. The first is that I would not mind the step to be a couple inches wider. There was just enough room to place the tips of the boots perpendicular to the tree on the step. Standing on the step this way made me feel like at was at the gym doing calf raises. I started to place my heals back to back on the step and wrap my boots around the tree. This felt better to me when I was installing the next step and my feet seemed more stable. It also took awhile to figure out the step placement height to the rope for a good cam over. I know there is a good YouTube video, but it is different when you are looking at it straight on. The last two items deal with the bag. Got to find a padding for the strap, as this is going to be my second upgrade. That strap will dig into your shoulder and any suggestions beside a good pad would be welcome. The last is placing the steps back in the bag. The step goes in the bag behind all the ropes, but it the ropes are laid over the front, zipper side. It seemed at times the zipper slides down some. So, I moved the ropes to lay over the back and work the step in behind all the ropes. Is there and easier way or will it become easier with use?

I know the Wild Edge Steps have probably been reviewed before but thought I would share my opinion from a Newbie or want-a-be saddle hunter, until gear arrives. So, I want to say thanks for reading or skimming through the post. I will get lots of climbing practice and use my M7 stand in the meantime.

be mentally ready for it to take much longer first several climbs. It's a whole new system and process. Patience here is key - if you are itching to get up the tree as soon as you get there, it can be frustrating. Shaggy bark trees will demo that for sure. I recommend leaving the stepps on a tree all day / overnight to stretch them. The lineman's belt - are you using a ropeman? Easy to take in / let out slack as you climb to get tight to the tree when setting next step, or leaning back to step up to it. The strap on the bag sucks - I have their pad and it still sucks going any distance. Two things here - you can put the bag in a backpack while hiking, and you can also carry fewer stepps by trying aider methods. The bag tends to fall open as you take the stepps off the tree - the zipper slides from the weight of the ropes as you saw. I have had them all fall out coming down from one of my first hunts. Between that and the bag digging into my shoulder, I got serious about using an aider and reducing the number I needed. Several guys have mods to the bag for that - search for the threads on it. I'm only carrying 5-6 so it's not really an issue in the bigger bag (I bought 12), so I have not found a need to cut the bag.

Good write up. To answer your bag question, initially I could not stand the bag, the zipper would slide open, I even had a bunch fall out when I was climbing down one time in the dark. It just gets better with time. I bring the zipper down after I take a few out, also pull it up as I add stepps on the way down. I do not think that you will find a better bag for them, even tho I was sure one was out there! Some guys are cutting out the bottom of the bag which I think you would pull the ropes through the bottom while you climb and then they will not interfere with the zipper?

If you are using the stepps without an aider I find it better to stagger the stepps left and right a bit instead of in a straight line. Not sure what you are doing but thought I would mention that. Look into the Red Squirrel Aider, it uses your tether as a adjustable aider. I find it lovely to climb with and cuts my stepps in half.

Anyone try calling WE? I’ve tried several times and no joy. They use UPS for shipping to Canada. It’s almost the same price as the steps. Hoping to get a usps quote from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone try calling WE? I’ve tried several times and no joy. They use UPS for shipping to Canada. It’s almost the same price as the steps. Hoping to get a usps quote from them.

I have had good luck with email getting a response back. Not sure if you have tried that or not.

Good write up. To answer your bag question, initially I could not stand the bag, the zipper would slide open, I even had a bunch fall out when I was climbing down one time in the dark. It just gets better with time. I bring the zipper down after I take a few out, also pull it up as I add stepps on the way down. I do not think that you will find a better bag for them, even tho I was sure one was out there! Some guys are cutting out the bottom of the bag which I think you would pull the ropes through the bottom while you climb and then they will not interfere with the zipper?

If you are using the stepps without an aider I find it better to stagger the stepps left and right a bit instead of in a straight line. Not sure what you are doing but thought I would mention that. Look into the Red Squirrel Aider, it uses your tether as a adjustable aider. I find it lovely to climb with and cuts my stepps in half.
Thanks

I do see the benefit of an aider, but think I might want to get comfortable with just using the steps before making the jump. Might give it a try in the near future to see if I just need to make the leap.

be mentally ready for it to take much longer first several climbs. It's a whole new system and process. Patience here is key - if you are itching to get up the tree as soon as you get there, it can be frustrating. Shaggy bark trees will demo that for sure. I recommend leaving the stepps on a tree all day / overnight to stretch them. The lineman's belt - are you using a ropeman? Easy to take in / let out slack as you climb to get tight to the tree when setting next step, or leaning back to step up to it. The strap on the bag sucks - I have their pad and it still sucks going any distance. Two things here - you can put the bag in a backpack while hiking, and you can also carry fewer stepps by trying aider methods. The bag tends to fall open as you take the stepps off the tree - the zipper slides from the weight of the ropes as you saw. I have had them all fall out coming down from one of my first hunts. Between that and the bag digging into my shoulder, I got serious about using an aider and reducing the number I needed. Several guys have mods to the bag for that - search for the threads on it. I'm only carrying 5-6 so it's not really an issue in the bigger bag (I bought 12), so I have not found a need to cut the bag.
Already plan to leave more than enough time the first couple of times to take it slow on the climb.

Just got back from the tree arbor with all the required items for a new lineman's belt that will have an ascender similar to the ropeman. Will search for the bag mods, thanks.

Yes.

I have more WE steps than I need. I could send you some.... no duty just cdn postage plus US wild edge price... I think $20 each.. I think I have 8 or 9 but I will never use more than 5.

Wow. I’m looking for 8. How high do you get on 5?

I get 4 to six feet per step depending how I climb. I really think I prefer home made sticks to anything.
I can now get over 25 feet to my platform with three homemade 24 inch sticks and a six step aider My sticks including cam cleats - 6 oz and stealth strips 3 oz weigh only 5.5 pounds.

I think those sticks are quieter faster to climb no heavier than we steps but harder to pack
I am carrying them with this sling
I think this may help eliminate the great disadvantage to carrying sticks
Plus it will make carrying them up the tree easier.

This is my opinion. I am now proficient at using We steps but can’t see liking them.

https://ultimategunsling.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am working on a movable multistep aider idea for these steps that way 3 steps and i should be over 21ft which is ideal.

So you will clip the aider to the step and climb. Are you looking to building an aider similar to this?

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Professional/Rope-clamps/LOOPING

Similar except i will use one from CMI which i prefer. They are both similar in nature and i have used both but like i said prefer the cmi one. It will be movable for me and always attached to prevent dropping. I am proficient using aiders the multi-step kind.

Follow Up.
Bag Mod, at this time all I did was to cut the bottom out and that did help the zipper issue. However, I noticed that I need to pay attention to how the ropes are wrapped back up in the bag. So, they don't hang out and get caught or need to place in backpack. Have a couple of ideas for future mods to the bag.

Sure am glad that I did some practice with the steps in the backyard on a pine tree. It took a little practice at getting the steps rock solid on the cam over. Otherwise, the steps would slip under weight and tear bark off. The other issue is that I only have pine trees small enough to leave the steps in the tree to stretch the ropes. Therefore, I should have already gone by the hardware store for mineral oil or acetone to clean the sap of the steps.

Still not ready to start trying the aider but hope to get there by the end of the season and thanks for all the helpful comments.

Follow Up.
Bag Mod, at this time all I did was to cut the bottom out and that did help the zipper issue. However, I noticed that I need to pay attention to how the ropes are wrapped back up in the bag. So, they don't hang out and get caught or need to place in backpack. Have a couple of ideas for future mods to the bag.

Sure am glad that I did some practice with the steps in the backyard on a pine tree. It took a little practice at getting the steps rock solid on the cam over. Otherwise, the steps would slip under weight and tear bark off. The other issue is that I only have pine trees small enough to leave the steps in the tree to stretch the ropes. Therefore, I should have already gone by the hardware store for mineral oil or acetone to clean the sap of the steps.

Still not ready to start trying the aider but hope to get there by the end of the season and thanks for all the helpful comments.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/...-to-have-your-we-bag-modified-like-mine.9529/

Finally got out away from the office and home to go down to the lease, camp house. Well, I made time to go sight in my pendulum sight on the bow. Since next weekend is the opener in my state and hope to get out at least one day. Also took the time to start getting familiar with the Wild Edge Step climbing system. When I got to the camp house, aka “Father-in-Law’s” place, is where everyone parks their campers. I had him and another “Old Timer” watching me climb for the first time. I did mess around with a couple steps in the back yard on a pine tree but did not climb. This time was my first ascent up to 16-18 ft and place a lock-on for target practice. As suspected, it is going to take a little time to become proficient in the climbing method, but don’t think it will take that long and was very impressed at how quite the system is straight out of the box, no mods.

As I got everything arranged at the base of the ash tree, they got the side-by-side where they could watch and of course make comments. The first four steps took a little bit to get placed. Not due to tying the knot or camming over the step, but getting the distance between the steps, which was about two feet apart for me. Then was the lineman’s belt length. Needed to find that sweet spot. Where you can climb without being to close to the tree, which caused issues with the steps. Besides having issues reaching the next step the lineman’s rope would get caught on the step rope and loosen the step. The other is being to far out, which makes you lean back so far to keep tension on the lineman’s rope that it is very difficult to place the next step. Which leads me to my first upgrade is going to be a Ropeman ascender for one-hand adjustment on my lineman’s rope.

After finding the sweet spot on the lineman’s rope, the next issue I ran across was the steps rope. This issue was all MY fault and will tell everyone to STRECHER their new ropes before use as recommend. What I had happen was that I got the step in place and would go to climb up. When I got all my weight on the step it would slide down slightly. I felt like it was the rope because it was acting just like the YouTube video stated. So, I would climb back down and retie the step and cam it back over. Then would pull on the step, almost hanging on the step to make sure it was good and seated against the tree. Then back up the tree I went. I will stretch the rope out some more before the next climbing session.

For my first use of the steps, I would say that for the most part it was successful and Wild Edge has created a great product. Now here are a couple items that I learned using the system. The first is that I would not mind the step to be a couple inches wider. There was just enough room to place the tips of the boots perpendicular to the tree on the step. Standing on the step this way made me feel like at was at the gym doing calf raises. I started to place my heals back to back on the step and wrap my boots around the tree. This felt better to me when I was installing the next step and my feet seemed more stable. It also took awhile to figure out the step placement height to the rope for a good cam over. I know there is a good YouTube video, but it is different when you are looking at it straight on. The last two items deal with the bag. Got to find a padding for the strap, as this is going to be my second upgrade. That strap will dig into your shoulder and any suggestions beside a good pad would be welcome. The last is placing the steps back in the bag. The step goes in the bag behind all the ropes, but it the ropes are laid over the front, zipper side. It seemed at times the zipper slides down some. So, I moved the ropes to lay over the back and work the step in behind all the ropes. Is there and easier way or will it become easier with use?

I know the Wild Edge Steps have probably been reviewed before but thought I would share my opinion from a Newbie or want-a-be saddle hunter, until gear arrives. So, I want to say thanks for reading or skimming through the post. I will get lots of climbing practice and use my M7 stand in the meantime.
Hang in there it will get alot easier. I love them I have 10 of them and 2 bags one holds 8 steps the other holds10. When you get comfortable with them try using an aider. What pendulum sight do you have . I have a Trophy Ridge pendulum it's old but I love it.

Hang in there it will get alot easier. I love them I have 10 of them and 2 bags one holds 8 steps the other holds10. When you get comfortable with them try using an aider. What pendulum sight do you have . I have a Trophy Ridge pendulum it's old but I love it.
Thanks for the encouragement,and already getting easier and working on them "Saddle Legs". Goal is to at least try a couple of hunts towards the end of the season using an aider. However, switching boots from the rubber boots to a thick sole boot made a drastic difference. The other item I learned when using the ladder stick as my platform was to put my weight on the heels and think it will be similar with a WE platform. Also, thinking getting legs apart will as be a little more comfortable.

First season using a Truglo Pendulum Adjustable Bracket. Before my hunting break I was using a Keller Pendulum and really liked it. I was very accurate out to 30 yds. Current setup I feel good out to 30yds as well but still need to push the limits this spring.
https://www.truglo.com/archery-sights/pendulum.asp?catid=14EF030088AA44CBAC06E6F08F4B71C1

Attachments

• 20181014 Ladder Sticks Platform.jpg
    20181014 Ladder Sticks Platform.jpg
    850.4 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the encouragement,and already getting easier and working on them "Saddle Legs". Goal is to at least try a couple of hunts towards the end of the season using an aider. However, switching boots from the rubber boots to a thick sole boot made a drastic difference. The other item I learned when using the ladder stick as my platform was to put my weight on the heels and think it will be similar with a WE platform. Also, thinking getting legs apart will as be a little more comfortable.

First season using a Truglo Pendulum Adjustable Bracket. Before my hunting break I was using a Keller Pendulum and really liked it. I was very accurate out to 30 yds. Current setup I feel good out to 30yds as well but still need to push the limits this spring.
https://www.truglo.com/archery-sights/pendulum.asp?catid=14EF030088AA44CBAC06E6F08F4B71C1
My son still use my old Keller pendulum sight. He loves it

Back