• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge vs. others

Justhanginground

I know this topic has been hit on from all directions, what are the thoughts of the group regarding climbing and base. I like the run and gun package from Wild Edge and my Muddy Pros and aider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used Jim Stepp's steps since they first came out. For preset platforms they are fantastic. The only thing I didn't like them for preset platforms is they are easy to see and give away your location.

For run and gun.... I do NOT like then for a platform as they are difficult, in my opinion, to set around a tree at hunting height. Can be done but awkward at best, especially if tree leans.

For climbing trees I found them to be a pain in the rear and noisy in the dark. Getting them in and out of the bag is noisy. The ropes are also a pain to get in bag. I switched all but my presets to amsteel which worked far better for me. The rope supplied used for presets is fine and squirrels don't seem to bother them.

I have tried Red's method once and it was great going up but coming down was awkward for me. But I was on a leaning tree and that complicated things. I'm sure with practice it can be a great climbing system.

I think any system has pros and cons and can work with enough practice.

With the new @redsquirrel aider the Stepp ladders seem pretty awesome.

I'm a big fan of my Muddy Pro with aider sticks as well.

I can never decide so I buy them all!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
I think I have bought and tried every method, and I keep coming back to my spurs. Platforms vary, but I usually have a few ameristeps and a seat platform of one type or another. I'm going to buy some cranford screw ins this year to see if I can install them quieter and easier than the ameristeps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know this topic has been hit on from all directions, what are the thoughts of the group regarding climbing and base. I like the run and gun package from Wild Edge and my Muddy Pros and aider.

What exactly is the redsquirrel
With the new @redsquirrel aider the Stepp ladders seem pretty awesome.

I'm a big fan of my Muddy Pro with aider sticks as well.

I can never decide so I buy them all!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
What exactly is the redsquirrel aider?

It is a foot aider on a tether basically.
Just to add to Dave's comment. The tether is attached to the tree and a method of height adjustment - usually a ropeman- is added to the tether.
This allows a one step aider to be pulled higher so you can get a greater height move between steps because you can pull your foot higher instead of just lifting your foot into the aider.

I haven't tried Redsquirrel's aider climber thingy yet as the company frowns on climbing the mast without legal safety gear and a reason to climb it. But when I get home I want to try it. So sitting here with to much time to think I wonder has any one tried to do it with a rappelling tether and just slid down. Only extra weight is the tether and rappel gear.

I haven't tried Redsquirrel's aider climber thingy yet as the company frowns on climbing the mast without legal safety gear and a reason to climb it. But when I get home I want to try it. So sitting here with to much time to think I wonder has any one tried to do it with a rappelling tether and just slid down. Only extra weight is the tether and rappel gear.

Funny you mention that because I always use rappel gear when I one stick it and I've been thinking about trying the redsquirrel climbing aider on a stepp as a one stick method just to see how it would go.

Funny you mention that because I always use rappel gear when I one stick it and I've been thinking about trying the redsquirrel climbing aider on a stepp as a one stick method just to see how it would go.
If you like to one stick I can highly recommend the XOP climber top as it works on the same trees and you climb with your platform. Its very light and you can rappel down. My favorite mobile setup to date. On trees with no limbs or just a couple.

If you like to one stick I can highly recommend the XOP climber top as it works on the same trees and you climb with your platform. Its very light and you can rappel down. My favorite mobile setup to date. On trees with no limbs or just a couple.

And you get to have a platform at hunting height. What do you use to deal with the side pressure trying to shoot 360? Do you do the trucker's hitch?

I've been thinking about the same thing. Super light weight 1 stick method

Just one mans option but I went to saddle hunting so I didn’t have to look for the “perfect” tree. Sounds like if I went with no stick platform it in itself cause a restriction...straight tree with no or few limbs. Is it lite enough to manipulate in a tree around limbs?

Just one mans option but I went to saddle hunting so I didn’t have to look for the “perfect” tree. Sounds like if I went with no stick platform it in itself cause a restriction...straight tree with no or few limbs. Is it lite enough to manipulate in a tree around limbs?

Yes totally lite have not weighed it but half my cam over platform and as you climb you have to readjust for tree diameter. So you hang in your saddle. I have platform tied to my tether biner. While you hang you pull it up with rope readjust reset on tree climb back on and continue to climb. You would need a linemen’s belt and maybe one of these aider’s to go around a lot of limbs.

Yes totally lite have not weighed it but half my cam over platform and as you climb you have to readjust for tree diameter. So you hang in your saddle. I have platform tied to my tether biner. While you hang you pull it up with rope readjust reset on tree climb back on and continue to climb. You would need a linemen’s belt and maybe one of these aider’s to go around a lot of limbs.

The really nice thing about this set up is all you need is saddle tether and climber seat. That covers your climbing method and your platform to stand on once at height. Only for trees with no limbs. If you want to climb them you need more gear. I’m old and out of shape so this is easy and covers 90% of the trees I climb. Also if you use long tether you can rappel so no need to climb down. I’ve done it both ways prefer rappel but that adds weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And you get to have a platform at hunting height. What do you use to deal with the side pressure trying to shoot 360? Do you do the trucker's hitch?

Have not had a problem with side pressure and can shoot 360. That being said I made two terrible shots back to back this year with this system. But don’t think I can blame it on the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I second the xop hand climber but depends on if your area has enough suitable climber friendly trees. To lock it down I’ve use a ocb around bottom of platform and tree

Very interesting boys! If the guys don’t cast a platform I’ll very likely go this route.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Back