• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rules For Thee Not For Me (Outlaw Thread)

Requiring a bow to be in a case is criminally stupid haha. What is the point supposed to be?
The issue I see is not with compounds or traditional bows which need to be drawn to be fired, but with crossbows. How many stories have you seen of crossbows going off and shooting people in vehicles. It’s crazy how many people don’t de-cock them in between hunting. I know of at least a couple, the worst being one that went off in a vehicle, killing a young boy. I need to see what the rules are for my state on bow cases.

It sad that we as a society need to have laws telling people NOT to have an arrow nocked in the car (compound, crossbow, etc)....common sense and logic people....

But then I tell my son not to lean on his chair all the time too....even after falling over multiple times he still does it.

The Michigan verbiage . . . I'm sure the intent is to limit road hunting and give the CO's a means to ticket someone they suspect of road hunting but didn't actually catch in the act of taking game.

The only exception is a handgun legally carried under the authority of a valid CPL.

1685980257454.png

I’ve come within 20 yards of world class mule deer and once in a lifetime whitetail deer on an atv. And in multiple instances I’ve had them stay within bow range for long enough for me to shoot them.

I didn’t.

Some people do.

Road Vehicles are even less alarming to critters.

They’re smart laws.

It’s one that you should apply the “break one rule at a time” logic to. If the only thing you do wrong is have your bow in a half zippered soft case, you’re probably fine. Do something else wrong, or mouth off, different story

The issue I see is not with compounds or traditional bows which need to be drawn to be fired, but with crossbows. How many stories have you seen of crossbows going off and shooting people in vehicles. It’s crazy how many people don’t de-cock them in between hunting. I know of at least a couple, the worst being one that went off in a vehicle, killing a young boy. I need to see what the rules are for my state on bow cases.
Driving with a loaded cross bow is crazy. A friend of mine actually makes his kid use a bow instead of a cross bow just because shooting your self with a bow is a lot more difficult to do.

Driving with a loaded cross bow is crazy. A friend of mine actually makes his kid use a bow instead of a cross bow just because shooting your self with a bow is a lot more difficult to do.

I’m not sure if it says more about the sheer quantity of time I’ve spent around people shooting bows, or the actual people shooting bows. But I’ve witnessed two people shoot themselves with a bow.

I’ve witnessed zero folks shoot themselves with a crossbow. I would imagine I’d see more folks shoot themselves with a crossbow given the same exposure. But I’m not confident in that…

I’m not sure if it says more about the sheer quantity of time I’ve spent around people shooting bows, or the actual people shooting bows. But I’ve witnessed two people shoot themselves with a bow.

I’ve witnessed zero folks shoot themselves with a crossbow. I would imagine I’d see more folks shoot themselves with a crossbow given the same exposure. But I’m not confident in that…

I've seen one guy shoot himself with a bow . . . :tearsofjoy:

1685984223569.png

I’ve never seen either myself. I think his idea was it’s difficult to get out in front of the arrow when the bow is drawn. We had a guy here in OK that shot him self in the thigh with a cross bow a couple years ago and died. He was a doctor if I recall correctly.

Now I’m curious to here the story…
Nothing too exciting. Many years ago I nicked an arrow during a practice session, next time I shot it the arrow exploded on release and embedded itself into my arm. Needless to say I don't try to shoot tight groups anymore.

I don't think that counts as shooting yourself with a bow. It's more of an arrow shattered and stuck you. I'm wondering about actually shooting oneself with a bow...how would that work. I can see the crossbow. Toss it in the truck or on an atv and it goes off. I can see that. Maybe you could get your foot with a bow.

I don't think that counts as shooting yourself with a bow. It's more of an arrow shattered and stuck you. I'm wondering about actually shooting oneself with a bow...how would that work. I can see the crossbow. Toss it in the truck or on an atv and it goes off. I can see that. Maybe you could get your foot with a bow.
Sure felt like I shot myself with a bow. Arrow stuck in my arm and left a deep bloody hole like I shot myself with a bow. I think it qualifies. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Ya that’s what I was driving at.

Nothing too exciting. Many years ago I nicked an arrow during a practice session, next time I shot it the arrow exploded on release and embedded itself into my arm. Needless to say I don't try to shoot tight groups anymore.

I don’t shoot groups either. Even if you don’t have an accident you’ll spend more on arrows.

Probably here too...... outlaw
Florida Statute 790.25 addresses lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons, and section 3(h) specifies:

Anyone "engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition" can openly carry a firearm.

Florida Statute 790.25 addresses lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons, and section 3(h) specifies:

Anyone "engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition" can openly carry a firearm.

The Armed Fisherman on YouTube is making some $ off doing just this and filming the interactions with cops who do not know their own laws.

Back