• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Styx

Man I hate to be that guy, but I don’t like anything about these. Aesthetically they just scream big-box, China-made, hope they last through the season until I can find something better.

So many parts, pieces, fasteners, glue, string, plastic… all for a retractable aider you can make yourself in 30 min for just about any stick.

I guess I’m not the target market.
@ $125-$150 EACH....I'm out

Hopefully they’ll be at the Mobile Expo later this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve said this before and will say it again. Most of us could stand to lose some weight ourselves, so skip a few meals here and there and the $ saved on those will pay for these sticks and other things without having extra expense or income to cover them. Just saying!

Still amazed at how many folks don’t blink an eye at spending over $1500 for a fully setup compound, but complain about the price of things like and other items and expect them to be $25/ea.

I may or may not buy these, but they are impressive so far and I commend them for trying to up the bar.

I’ve said this before and will say it again. Most of us could stand to lose some weight ourselves, so skip a few meals here and there and the $ saved on those will pay for these sticks and other things without having extra expense or income to cover them. Just saying!

Still amazed at how many folks don’t blink an eye at spending over $1500 for a fully setup compound, but complain about the price of things like and other items and expect them to be $25/ea.

I may or may not buy these, but they are impressive so far and I commend them for trying to up the bar.
My last "new" bow before my Vertix was 2007...I was due. ;)

My last "new" bow before my Vertix was 2007...I was due. ;)

I slowed down I am buying a new bow every 3 years now. I shot my 2007 Bowtech allegiance for a long time. Until I cracked the 4th set of limbs and Bowtech offered me a destroyer at deep discount. Then I just couldn’t find a bow I liked and was buying about 5 a year….eeeek

I stand corrected. Their response to how the steps are attached to the carbon post. “With one chemical bond and two mechanical bonds. We have a proprietary epoxy mix that contains solid particles that forms the chemical bond, the first mechanical bond, and then we have a hardened steel pin that’s inserted afterwards.”
Technical POV only:
Epoxy is a great generic catch all for a type of adhesives. There's cheap epoxy you can buy in hardware stores, then there aerospace grade stuff. Even then there's different mixes for different purposes.
Theres a better adhesive than epoxy for anything that will get super cold or that bonds 2 different materials with different coefficients of heat expansion/contraction.
However, the real strength of any bond is in the prep(abrasion), cleaning and primer.
In my experience, I'd trust a adhesive bond alone if I knew their prep process was sound. And any separation of adhesives in cold only happens in minus temperatures usually.
I think a bonded joint is stronger when a carbon fiber tube is involved than the add ons.

I can't justify it for me personally, but to each their own. Not hating.

I get it. I haven’t keeled over (yet) hauling 1.5lb sticks for miles up and down mountains.

Probably helps that I’ve invested $$$$ in premium frame packs to haul my gear about. In my younger days, I could get by without such pricey accoutrements. But as it stands, I can justify incremental advantages because they help and I can afford to do so without significant financial impact. I’d rather pay with my wallet than my body.

To each their own.

Technical POV only:
Epoxy is a great generic catch all for a type of adhesives. There's cheap epoxy you can buy in hardware stores, then there aerospace grade stuff. Even then there's different mixes for different purposes.
Theres a better adhesive for anything that will get super cold or that bonds 2 different materials with different coefficients of heat expansion/contraction.
However, the real strength of any bond is in the prep(abrasion), cleaning and primer.
In my experience, I'd trust a adhesive bond alone if I knew their prep process was sound. And any separation of adhesives in cold only happens in minus temperatures usually.
I think a bonded joint is stronger when a carbon fiber tube is involved than the add ons.

It’s interesting how CF can be configured for different coefficients of thermal expansion. Possibly a valuable property when making bonded components.

It’s interesting how CF can be configured for different coefficients of thermal expansion. Possibly a valuable property when making bonded components.
Yes. it's mostly the epoxy resin used, and seeing as these sticks use a carbon fiber reinforced polymer for their step/standoff ( which is a world away from forged CF), the 2 matrix could have different shrinkage rates, but not that much id imagine. IT'S much more telling when aluminum or steel is bonded to cf composites.

Technical POV only:
Theres a better adhesive than epoxy for anything that will get super cold or that bonds 2 different materials with different coefficients of heat expansion/contraction.
Don't ask me why but after being in tree 4hrs at 16 deg. yesterday, these sticks came to mind as I began my climb down after sunset. "Would I want to be using Styx right now? To be holding on to them climbing down from ~20' feeling a whole lot less limber and twice my weight from the cold, bulky size13's, w/snow falling on carbon sticks?".....Nope. No friggin way. Even if I were to know the manufacturing process, the properties of the materials being used, and had watched that same particular set of 4 sticks being built, my brain would much rather me be standing and holding on to metal right now.

Maybe if I were 175lbs. and under 25, (which I haven't been since high school.) and using them early season. I don't see these in my future.

Don't ask me why but after being in tree 4hrs at 16 deg. yesterday, these sticks came to mind as I began my climb down after sunset. "Would I want to be using Styx right now? To be holding on to them climbing down from ~20' feeling a whole lot less limber and twice my weight from the cold, bulky size13's, w/snow falling on carbon sticks?".....Nope. No friggin way. Even if I were to know the manufacturing process, the properties of the materials being used, and had watched that same particular set of 4 sticks being built, my brain would much rather me be standing and holding on to metal right now.

Maybe if I were 175lbs. and under 25, (which I haven't been since high school.) and using them early season. I don't see these in my future.
I understand your point and agree that if you don't have confidence in these sticks they are not for you. I feel the same about every stick under 1.5lbs I have seen. But I have not seen the Tree Styx yet.

I will say that it's not an uncommon thing for people to be leary of anything that is simply bonded together with adhesives without bolts or fastners of any kind....even engineers who work in the field of aerospace. I once at work had to prove a prototype fix by bonding a aluminum piece with a 2" stem sticking out to a flat surface on the fiberglass airframe and handing a whole group of engineers a hammer and told them to try and knock it off...... well they couldn't, and I was surprised that they were surprised. But it wasn't just an epoxy adhesive either.
All that to say, I have nothing to do with these sticks, but think that these companies should do an "extreme stress" scenario video to boost confidence in their bonds and attachment points.

I get it. I haven’t keeled over (yet) hauling 1.5lb sticks for miles up and down mountains.

Probably helps that I’ve invested $$$$ in premium frame packs to haul my gear about. In my younger days, I could get by without such pricey accoutrements. But as it stands, I can justify incremental advantages because they help and I can afford to do so without significant financial impact. I’d rather pay with my wallet than my body.

To each their own.
I don't go that far in (I think maybe 2 miles was it ?) and still could on occasion, just not where I hunt right now.
$600 to save 8 lbs. just seems excessive... for me. I might change my mind one day. (56)
They're good looking sticks no doubt, and I make good money, but I'm just cheap.

Going to a saddle from my climber already saved me 13-14 lbs. but not why I changed ;)

Back