• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2tc vs one sticking

LAKY

Mar 3, 2019
What kind of stability issues are people having? Curious as I'm probably doing a little demo this weekend, I've been perfectly at home since I started trying 2tc( 1-stick as well for that matter)
For me, it was advancing the top tether while balancing on the foot tether. Different tree types and diameters change things. I think some of the guys who've made videos that make it look like walking up a tree (North Fourty and Scott Adkins come to mind) is so easy, you have to pay real close attention to the details. I think some of the details matter. Like Scott Adkins has his foot loop on one side of the tree and the other looped the opposite direction. Length of bridge, distance between foot tether top and foot, distance between top tether and bridge. There seems to be lots of details that make it easier, but are taken for granted. And, then you throw in the different tether types, foot loop types, bridge types, connection points, etc; it all gets overwhelming. I'm getting a lot better at it, but only after watching the littlest details in some of the videos. I've watched Scott Adkins videos over and over making mental notes of tether height compared to forehead, distance between steps, and move distances.

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
Some people aren’t comfortable standing with one leg wrapped around the tree,
This is me. :tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, one of the reasons I prefer one sticking is that I have a solid perch for both feet while I'm advancing my tether. Add the fact that I primarily move my tether with just my right hand and I've got three stable, solid points of contact while I'm doing it.

SNIPERBBB

Feb 19, 2020
SE Ohio
For me, it's the toe of my boot slipping off to one side or the other. Guessing it prolly depends a lot on what types of tree folks are climbing. Some obviously have better traction than other. Not uncommon around here to need to climb a willow, water or nutall oak and they are all hard tight bark that can be a little slick.
I don't use the tree for anything other than to put the ropes on. It's more a hindrance to me than a help. The foot loop is the thing that is supposed to be taking the weight. Not the tree. I turn my foot out away from the tree so it's not pushing my foot out of the foot loop.

Reactions: BTaylor

GeoFish

SH Member
May 5, 2021
Kentucky
When I get my new saddle, I may order Jerry's double foot loop and give it a try. With my old feet standing on one foot gets to me.

krub6b

SH Member
Sep 5, 2019
Missouri
I think some of the details matter. Like Scott Adkins has his foot loop on one side of the tree and the other looped the opposite direction.
I think this is a pretty big detail for foot loop stability, my foot loop girth hitch is on the left-ish side of the tree(7-8 o'clock). This help me keep my left foot directly under my left hip and improves balance. If your foot loop tether is dead center than you are going to be shifting to one side when transitioning your weight to one foot

Reactions: BTaylor and LAKY

Chopper070

Jan 5, 2021
I should be getting my rigid footloop from Jerry soon and im thinking it will be the sweet spot for me. Not quite as packable but probably a little more convenient to use. I can use the other one just fine but I want to compare and see which I am more comfortable with. Then it will be practice until season…
Being a newb this year with 2TC, I can say that once I stood up in the footloop and tried to raise the top tether the first few times, I felt very wobbly and somewhat unsafe. It's gotten better with a bit of practice and shortening the foot tether. And I think bigger trees make me feel more stable. I will say that my first climb ever with a saddle was one sticking and that felt so much more comfortable v. the first couple times with 2TC. That said, I think I'm sticking with 2TC for the upcoming season. Maybe people's body types play a role in it....I'm 6'2 with most of it in the legs.

Last edited:

Chopper070

Jan 5, 2021
For me, it was advancing the top tether while balancing on the foot tether. Different tree types and diameters change things. I think some of the guys who've made videos that make it look like walking up a tree (North Fourty and Scott Adkins come to mind) is so easy, you have to pay real close attention to the details. I think some of the details matter. Like Scott Adkins has his foot loop on one side of the tree and the other looped the opposite direction. Length of bridge, distance between foot tether top and foot, distance between top tether and bridge. There seems to be lots of details that make it easier, but are taken for granted. And, then you throw in the different tether types, foot loop types, bridge types, connection points, etc; it all gets overwhelming. I'm getting a lot better at it, but only after watching the littlest details in some of the videos. I've watched Scott Adkins videos over and over making mental notes of tether height compared to forehead, distance between steps, and move distances.
Wet leaners are no sweat for me the way i do it.no ballancing ,no tipy toe.its all in the details
Would love to see/read those details if you can share. I want to make this as easy as possible!

Last edited:

chaded

SH Member
Nov 14, 2023
Being a newb this year with 2TC, I can say that once I stood up in the footloop and tried to raise the top tether the first few times, I felt very wobbly and somewhat unsafe. It's gotten better with a bit of practice and shortening the foot tether. And I think bigger trees make me feel more stable. I will say that my first climb ever with a saddle was one sticking and that felt so much more comfortable v. the first couple times with 2TC. That said, I think I'm sticking with 2TC for the upcoming season. Maybe people's body types play a role in it....I'm 6'2 with most of it in the legs.

I actually don’t find any issues with standing up in the foot loop to move my top tether. My experience with one sticking has been the opposite in that I am far more comfortable with 2TC. Especially from a safety standpoint But the 2TC movements just feel more natural to me.

tailgunner

Feb 22, 2021
western Oregon blacktailwoods
Would love to see/read those details if you can share. I want to make this as easy as possible!
People get mad when i repost stuff...but i dont care sooooo....first bend your toes up the tree and use the tread on your shoe2775.jpgand put your knee against the tree so when you leg hook the tree with your other leg you are clamping the tree with your whole calf ,heal and knee .far more stable than trying to ballance with a strait leg and your tipy toe against the tree alone

Last edited:
Reactions: BTaylor and krub6b

krub6b

SH Member
Sep 5, 2019
Missouri
Where else would you hook your carabiner?
@tailgunner has his hitch attached to his bridge with no carabineer. I can't seem to find the last place he posted it, it's something I'm looking into adopting this year as well

*Found it

Jammintree

SH Member
Jan 5, 2021
You should lead the movement. @always89y , @tailgunner and you could all make some fantastic you tube tutorials and let’s all share it across our social media pages….. I know there are a few videos out there but a lot of manufacturers are gonna push the sale of sticks (or one stick set ups) for the money. We get enough on board, we probably could mainstream it. Personal opinion it’s because of what @BTaylor said… we need some better foot stirrup options for stability. As of now CGM has the best set up I’ve seen
We should start a Go Fund Me campaign to film and edit a video of these guys demonstrating various 2TC methods and gear.

Marmuzz

Feb 22, 2021
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
We should start a Go Fund Me campaign to film and edit a video of these guys demonstrating various 2TC methods and gear.
That’d be cool. But 2TC can be so body specific that it may just require ya to go inchworm with some tethers.

@gcr0003 has the most helpful videos I’ve found so far, and @Samcirrus if you like complicated hitches and gear experiments lol