• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

3D printed platform?

robertm_s

Has anybody ever tried to 3D print a platform to attach on the top of a climbing stick? I’m sure most PLA printing filament isn’t strong enough, but there should be some filaments that would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would definitely need extensive testing, but a metal based print that is properly supported might be a cheap alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been messing with it quite a bit.... What I'm finding is you can do things to a point my "platforms" tend to be smaller and backed up with a bolt through. **This is me taking my chances** problem you have is not all prints are created equal. I have created some very solid prints that would work nice. BUttttt prints can fail at any time....especially in the cold. DO NOT USE PLA, DON'T DO NOT....
Best strongest prints I've made is the ROS system discussed on link below. They work really nice, but you take you life in your own hands don't belive me. always tether in before stepping on a printed product. and so on...

1601062588813.png1601062649674.png

ROS

I have been thinking about it a lot as well. Materials have come a long way. I have played around with some tree steps with great success. Obviously you have to test everything prior to use. Design, printing parameters and materials are key...
These look like some awesome designs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Been messing with it quite a bit.... What I'm finding is you can do things to a point my "platforms" tend to be smaller and backed up with a bolt through. **This is me taking my chances** problem you have is not all prints are created equal. I have created some very solid prints that would work nice. BUttttt prints can fail at any time....especially in the cold. DO NOT USE PLA, DON'T DO NOT....
Best strongest prints I've made is the ROS system discussed on link below. They work really nice, but you take you life in your own hands don't belive me. always tether in before stepping on a printed product. and so on...

View attachment 35387View attachment 35388

ROS
Hardware can really get you far, great work!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How much weight can it hold?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

How much weight can it hold?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Still working on both designs. The non-stick version holds my 230# but flexes a bit. I'm still working on the design. The left version or stick version I haven't printed as of yet.

My company has a matrix that prints with kevlar filaments. They mafe working motor mounts for the 2.5L iron duke engine. If its strong enough for that, should work for a pkatform i would think. That said, i wouldnt want to be the one to try it 20' off the ground.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How much would such a platform save in weight VS aircraft grade AL? I personally can not see risking serious injury, financial devastation while recovering from such injuries, death, or worse IMHO becoming a para or quadra pisek, for saving what 4lbs or less? Seriously, four pounds is less than 90% of our fully equipped bows. Hell my boots, plus my days water supply is over 5lbs.

How much would such a platform save in weight VS aircraft grade AL? I personally can not see risking serious injury, financial devastation while recovering from such injuries, death, or worse IMHO becoming a para or quadra pisek, for saving what 4lbs or less? Seriously, four pounds is less than 90% of our fully equipped bows. Hell my boots, plus my days water supply is over 5lbs.
I dont see how you could really injure yourself that bad. Ive slipped off my platform a time or two...not sure how it would be any different. If it breaks your tethered in. Thats one of the biggest perks of saddle hunting.

Maybe im missing something. If youre taking all the necessary steps to avoid slack in your tether i just dont see how you could die or become paralyzed...

Back