• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

40# vs 45#

bigcat93

SH Member
Looking for hunting limbs, been practicing with 30#.

would guys go 40 or 45#?

It seems that at my draw 27-28”, with a 45# riser I’d be somewhere between. But with a 40# limb, I’d be less than.

what’s the jury?

People have successfully killed deer with less than 40 lbs but if you can shoot the 45#limbs accurately I would definitely go with them. I’ve killed several deer with 44 lbs but I have close to a 30” draw which helps.

Going up 15# is quite a bit on your fingers. But if you can shoot it comfortably up to you. I have a 35#,40#, and 2 50#s. By far the forty is my favorite to shoot and hunt with. Enough power with a tuned high foc arrow and a single blade , never had any problem putting animals down...mostly pass throughs. Know your own limits with weight and distance. It's not really the weight that kills it's the shot placement.

Depend on your arrow setup. If you were using screwed on tip with high FOC like say 200grains. You can probably go to 40# limbs and still use the same arrow by lowering the point weight to 150grains. Then when you feel like you're ready, get the 45# but most likely you will need new arrows.

I say get the 40#, they are great for all around weight.

Depend on your arrow setup. If you were using screwed on tip with high FOC like say 200grains. You can probably go to 40# limbs and still use the same arrow by lowering the point weight to 150grains. Then when you feel like you're ready, get the 45# but most likely you will need new arrows.

I say get the 40#, they are great for all around weight.

ive killed midwest mature bucks with 35#. it can be done. the lower the weight, the more you need to pay attention to the details of arrow tune, momentum, broadhead sharpness, cut on contact, mechanical advantage, distance to target, etc.

i'd go with as much weight as you can comfortably draw for many shots and remain accurate. its supposed to be fun.

If you plan to hunt with it, make sure your state doesn't have a minimum poundage requirement. Ohio's minimum is 40 lbs, so the 45 would be required if the 40 draw under weight at your draw length.

Another thought. 45 lbs will slip off your fingers more smoothly if you can handle that weight. You using a glove or a tab?

I worked my way up from 30 to 50, building up strength and working on form.

I settled on a custom r/d longbow at 43#@25, once all was said and done. But it was 2 years of trad shooting before I did that.

HTH
Did you hang on to that 55# slick stick or did you sell it right away?

If you plan to hunt with it, make sure your state doesn't have a minimum poundage requirement. Ohio's minimum is 40 lbs, so the 45 would be required if the 40 draw under weight at your draw length.

i hear this and certainly don't argue that its the letter of the law and the correct thing to do. that is not in question.

in IN, it the regs say 35# min, period. does anyone's regs say XX pounds at 28" or XX pounds at your draw length? XX pounds at your draw length is the intention of the law for sure.

from Indiana regulations:
Legal archery equipment includes long bows, compound bows and recurve bows. A bow must have a minimum draw weight of 35 pounds. Arrows must be tipped with broadheads that are metal, metal-edged, or napped flint, chert or obsidian.

has anyone really ever been check by Mr Green Jeans? did he know his stuff or just look at the writings on the limbs?

just curious.

before anyone asks, my draw is > 28" when i was shooting 35#. i bought 40# limbs this year and really like them, but that did affect my arrow spine and tune and arrow length and point weight. thank God this is fun and i enjoy tinkering.

i hear this and certainly don't argue that its the letter of the law and the correct thing to do. that is not in question.

in IN, it the regs say 35# min, period. does anyone's regs say XX pounds at 28" or XX pounds at your draw length? XX pounds at your draw length is the intention of the law for sure.

from Indiana regulations:
Legal archery equipment includes long bows, compound bows and recurve bows. A bow must have a minimum draw weight of 35 pounds. Arrows must be tipped with broadheads that are metal, metal-edged, or napped flint, chert or obsidian.

has anyone really ever been check by Mr Green Jeans? did he know his stuff or just look at the writings on the limbs?

just curious.

before anyone asks, my draw is > 28" when i was shooting 35#. i bought 40# limbs this year and really like them, but that did affect my arrow spine and tune and arrow length and point weight. thank God this is fun and i enjoy tinkering.
The only reason I actually brought it up is that I was checked on a national forest last year and he handed me a digital scale and had me draw my recurve so it would give a accurate poundage at my draw length and then had my buddy draw his compound. I would assume this is an exception, but shows it is possible. 1 time in over 30 years of hunting though, so not a common occurrence.

Back