• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

aiders

skydoc

Have climbed with sticks before, but never with aiders. Fixed aider on on bottom step only or thoughts on multistep aiders above that? I’m not quite ready to delve into one sticking. Using hawk minis presently.

I've just used a simple loop of tubular webbing on the bottom stick to buy me an additional couple of feet on the first stick. This loop doubled as the carry strap for the bundle of sticks. I never tried using aiders above the first stick.

If your going to use aiders going up. I recommend rappelling down. In the dark, tired, and hungry after a hunt can be dangerous. I tried a mobile gear single aider you take up with you. Works, but way easier in the day light, versus in the dark. Can be a fumble factor. I always got it snagged on something, stretched the elastic keeper, and had to figure out why it stopped me in my climb. Or fell off my boot. Dropped it once. I didn't use that very long.
EWO ultimate aider or ones kinda like it are pretty sweet. There is several ways to use it.
You gotta find what works for you. If I grab sticks. It's the Ultimate aider and my full length hawks. I can move the aider with me if I want to get a little higher. Takes a little extra work. But not to bad. Still rappel down.

A single aider on each stick or multiple aider on bottom only, is what I’ve tried over the years. Multi aider on anything but bottom stick sounds sketchy to me, but that’s just my opinion, and maybe food for thought.

i run a double aider on the bottom stick and single on the rest
'the amsteel guy' aiders are nice
Got a few spots with bare trees til the canopy and a few others along some hills at intersecting trails. Looking to get up to bout 20’. I’m at 16 presently with the 4 hawk minis with a decent stretch between stick placement. What kinda height you gettin with your setup? type of sticks?

i got the ewo feather lights 20s with 18" spacing and 18" double aider bottom and single aiders on the second and third stick and I can get my platform to 17'. Its a pretty comfortable climb and I am 5'6" "the amsteel guy" aiders from ewo

Currently using 3 XOP regular sticks with a single step aider made from tubular webbing on all 3. I can get to approximately 16-17 ft with this setup; I'm 5'7".

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Currently using 3 XOP regular sticks with a single step aider made from tubular webbing on all 3. I can get to approximately 16-17 ft with this setup; I'm 5'7".

David

I’m used to shooting for 20’ but i guess with ability to hide behind the tree, i may not need to go that high. Have you had success at your height? I’m sure i’ll get a better insight as i get in the woods this fall. Trying to familiarize myself as much as possible before season gets here.

I’m used to shooting for 20’ but i guess with ability to hide behind the tree, i may not need to go that high. Have you had success at your height? I’m sure i’ll get a better insight as i get in the woods this fall. Trying to familiarize myself as much as possible before season gets here.
I've killed deer from this height without any issues. One thing to mention in full disclosure... I'm not saddle hunting as of today. I'm still using sticks and a Beast treestand.

David

I used climbing sticks with my lock on last year. Was best setup until i found how light a saddle is. Thank you for your conveying your experience.

I used climbing sticks with my lock on last year. Was best setup until i found how light a saddle is. Thank you for your conveying your experience.
I don't know if I'll ever switch over to a saddle, but I'm heavily considering going to one sticking as it'll cut out a considerable amount of weight from my setup.

David

Give this a try before you go out and buy some aiders. Take an old nylon strap or a piece of rope and make a temp. DIY one step aider and use it on one stick.
Try climbing with your toe into the tree and then try putting your foot sideways.
Alot of guys are OK with the toe into the tree and multiple step aiders.
I am not one of those. I am good as long as I can put my foot sideways using a single step movable aider, like a versa aider.
Aiders attached to you sticks can move in the wind causing you to get picked by a deer.
If you use a one-step aider and you have any kick out, you are only one step from safety.

Give this a try before you go out and buy some aiders. Take an old nylon strap or a piece of rope and make a temp. DIY one step aider and use it on one stick.
Try climbing with your toe into the tree and then try putting your foot sideways.
Alot of guys are OK with the toe into the tree and multiple step aiders.
I am not one of those. I am good as long as I can put my foot sideways using a single step movable aider, like a versa aider.
Aiders attached to you sticks can move in the wind causing you to get picked by a deer.
If you use a one-step aider and you have any kick out, you are only one step from safety.
The wind is definitely a thought that never crossed my mind!

Great video. After seeing that, i’m ok with a multi step bottom and maybe a single for subsequent steps. Seems like a lot of room for error with a multi on the rest of steps.

i used a sticks up until 2 years ago, once off the ground, i never wanted more than a 1 step aider because i like to easily climb gnarly trees

check out the carry as you go aider concept.....just a loop that you carry with you....i also have a thinner webbing loop (primary is 1 inch webbing, backup is 5/8" webbing) in case i drop my aider

nothing to move around in the tree when the wind blows

i do not girth hitch anything to my boot, just a loop

you can use this loop to make things easier in the dark....on the way up, put foot in loop while not on stick, then grab loop and pull it and boot up to stick and hang and step....on way down, put boot in loop, hand slack loop on stick top, then hold tension up on boot as you step down so that it is always on there....i don't girth hitch anything to boot because i don't want to end up upside down hanging from 1 foot....also i carry a knife handy just in case i have to cut myself free

If your going to use aiders going up. I recommend rappelling down. In the dark, tired, and hungry after a hunt can be dangerous. I tried a mobile gear single aider you take up with you. Works, but way easier in the day light, versus in the dark. Can be a fumble factor. I always got it snagged on something, stretched the elastic keeper, and had to figure out why it stopped me in my climb. Or fell off my boot. Dropped it once. I didn't use that very long.
EWO ultimate aider or ones kinda like it are pretty sweet. There is several ways to use it.
You gotta find what works for you. If I grab sticks. It's the Ultimate aider and my full length hawks. I can move the aider with me if I want to get a little higher. Takes a little extra work. But not to bad. Still rappel down.
Amen. The only time i ever had issues getting down was when my headlight died and i didnt have my rappel gear. Luckily some bozo shot a deer in the neck with an xbow (after last light) as i was fumbling around and i told him id help him track it (saw it run by with a lumenok flopping around) if he shined his light on my setup. I would have made it down but its a pita. He was scratchin his head how i made it up that high with one stick and no tree stand lol.
Off topic, but he gave up 30 min into the track even with me consistently finding him blood. Dont do dat...

i don't girth hitch anything to boot because i don't want to end up upside down hanging from 1 foot....
Not being a smarta**. But what is the alternative to ending up upside down hanging from one foot?

Back