• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone else hunting with an E-Bike this year?

n6dlh

SH Member
I bought my first E bike in 2019, and while I did use it some, it was not until last year that I really put it through its paces. Hunting the Great Dismal Swamp's 100K acres is a daunting task. With over 100 miles of access roads but only access to them on foot or Bike, the E bikes really shined. Although I did not get one there I passed on a couple of nice bucks because I was down to 1 buck tag and I was chasing a tank in the swamp by my house. My Original Purchase was a Mountain To Sea All Terrain HT 750 hub drive bike. It has been a great bike and hauls the Quiet Kat Fat Tire Trailer well. I realized that pulling hills is more difficult as I get older and my back and knees continue to deteriorate.

This year I have upgraded to the All Terrrain Ultra FS mid drive bike. Going to run this through the paces this week but so far seems like the solution I need to drag a big buck out of the swamp 8-10 miles back. So Far for the price this seems to be one of the best bikes with more options. Could easily spend almost 2 times as much for the High End Quiet Kat and Rambo bikes and get a lot less. I ended up selling an ATV that I bought for use at my property that has been sitting for several years. I know many cannot justify spending big bucks on an E-Bike. For me between the saddle and the E-Bike has been a game changer for me. I will be hunting 2 maybe 3 states this year. Virginia and North Carolina the E-Bikes are legal on public land.

So what are you using this year? How has the E-Bikes changed how you hunt?

I bought my first E bike in 2019, and while I did use it some, it was not until last year that I really put it through its paces. Hunting the Great Dismal Swamp's 100K acres is a daunting task. With over 100 miles of access roads but only access to them on foot or Bike, the E bikes really shined. Although I did not get one there I passed on a couple of nice bucks because I was down to 1 buck tag and I was chasing a tank in the swamp by my house. My Original Purchase was a Mountain To Sea All Terrain HT 750 hub drive bike. It has been a great bike and hauls the Quiet Kat Fat Tire Trailer well. I realized that pulling hills is more difficult as I get older and my back and knees continue to deteriorate.

This year I have upgraded to the All Terrrain Ultra FS mid drive bike. Going to run this through the paces this week but so far seems like the solution I need to drag a big buck out of the swamp 8-10 miles back. So Far for the price this seems to be one of the best bikes with more options. Could easily spend almost 2 times as much for the High End Quiet Kat and Rambo bikes and get a lot less. I ended up selling an ATV that I bought for use at my property that has been sitting for several years. I know many cannot justify spending big bucks on an E-Bike. For me between the saddle and the E-Bike has been a game changer for me. I will be hunting 2 maybe 3 states this year. Virginia and North Carolina the E-Bikes are legal on public land.

So what are you using this year? How has the E-Bikes changed how you hunt?
Interesting. I stuck my finger in the Great Dismal swamp last year and that’s one reason I’m getting an Ebike this year. I’m looking at the Aventon Aventure. It’s just a 750 Bafang hub motor, but it should do what I need it to do. OBTW, I’ve never seen so many mosquito’s in my life….and I grew up In Louisiana Lol.

Mine should be here mid August. Biktrix Juggernaut XD. Double the power of the highest end bakcou. Can't wait

Interesting. I stuck my finger in the Great Dismal swamp last year and that’s one reason I’m getting an Ebike this year. I’m looking at the Aventon Aventure. It’s just a 750 Bafang hub motor, but it should do what I need it to do. OBTW, I’ve never seen so many mosquito’s in my life….and I grew up In Louisiana Lol.

Local Guy!

Yea I did not have too many issues with Mosquitoes. The Thermacell worked great. They would buzz the heck out of me but not land and bite. I also use Permethrin since the Chiggars are supposed to be bad. Most of the areas I hunted were crazy thick but did get charged by a buck on Rosemary Ditch, a small 8-point. My wife was kind of freaking out. Saw a huge 8 point getting dragged out. Guy proceeds to tell us a story.

"Killed an 8 point just before dark. I was able to track him and gutted him and got back to the road before dark. Left my trailer in the truck so made the 3 mile ride back to grab the trailer. Head back to find a 400-pound black bear dragging my buck off. I yelled and started to throw sticks at him and got him to back off. He was staying about 50 yards away. I load him on the trailer and the coupler breaks. I then decided I will walk back with the bike in one hand and the buck on the trailer using it as a cart in the other. I get about a half mile from where I was at and its dark. A huge 10 point buck comes out on the road and starts to charge me. Guess he smells the buck and wants to fight. I use the bike up on the rear tire as the buck locks horns on my bike. I am fighting this buck off and still being followed by the black bear. buck gets spooked after about 30 seconds and bounds off in the woods and the bear splits as well. Still a long walk back to the gate!"

As he is telling this story I look and there are what appear to be antler marks all over his bike! This guy is visibly shaken but also seems like it was the most exciting day hunting in his life. 2 weeks later in mid rut my wife and I get charged by a buck. He was 30 yards before he hit the brakes and went across Rosemary ditch. We then have a black bear come to 10 yards from us while eating our lunch!

This year I have upgraded to the All Terrrain Ultra FS mid drive bike. Going to run this through the paces this week but so far seems like the solution I need to drag a big buck out of the swamp 8-10 miles back.
Dang, that’s a speedster! Of course, as long as you have one, I don’t need one….I just need your phone number! Lol. Is that a class II? Man, that’s a pretty awesome story as well. I’m thinking that I would have sacrificed that deer to the well being of that bear ha, ha. “Thick” lol, yeah that’s an understatement. Man, there has to be some monsters in there considering the lack of hunting pressure for decades, the inaccessibility of most of the place, coupled with the totally inaccessible swamp parts. Hard enough just to get across all the ditches just to get into the woods! Hee, hee, yeah it only took one trip and I bought a Thermacell lol. I’m coming out of Virginia Beach. You’re in Smitfield VA? Is that supposed to be “Smithfield”? Maybe we have the opportunity to get together one day.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Radrover with an upgraded controller that I used last year that's now my backup. I have a new Bakcou step through Mule that is my new hunting buddy and it's all setup for hunting.

How do these bikes do on hills and mountains? I’ve considered a e bike but idk much about them

A lot of E-Bike talk in this thread.

I have a QuietKat Ranger and it has been awesome. My family got it for me as a retirement gift from the fire service in 2019. I had also had knee replacement surgery. Missouri just recently passed a proposition that you can now use Ebikes on conservation lands that are 750 watts or less. I had to get a special use permit prior to this. It really allows me to get further in than what I can walk. But I feel it may change the pressure on those same lands. Guess you take the good with the bad. I would definitely check your regulations!! Good luck.

Last edited:
How do these bikes do on hills and mountains? I’ve considered a e bike but idk much about them
Mid drives do better on hills. Since the motor allows you to use the gear reduction of the bike and shift gears as needed. The hub motor bikes are a bit smoother in the power delivery. They will require assist on hills. Same with towing a trailer. My 750 watt bike was able to get my big but up to speed with 250lbs on my trailer. Of course I was assisting. I out about 200 miles on mine last year hunting and scouting. Will probably double that this year.

Dang, that’s a speedster! Of course, as long as you have one, I don’t need one….I just need your phone number! Lol. Is that a class II? Man, that’s a pretty awesome story as well. I’m thinking that I would have sacrificed that deer to the well being of that bear ha, ha. “Thick” lol, yeah that’s an understatement. Man, there has to be some monsters in there considering the lack of hunting pressure for decades, the inaccessibility of most of the place, coupled with the totally inaccessible swamp parts. Hard enough just to get across all the ditches just to get into the woods! Hee, hee, yeah it only took one trip and I bought a Thermacell lol. I’m coming out of Virginia Beach. You’re in Smitfield VA? Is that supposed to be “Smithfield”? Maybe we have the opportunity to get together one day.

Yep I set my profile up on my phone. I have never seen the amount of sign as I have in the swamp.My office is off of London Bridge Road, I work mostly from home so I do not go in often. If you check the local CL my wife's Hyper Commuter bike is listed. Its a skinny tire road bike but it did work in the swamp all of last year. She will be on my hub drive when she comes out this year. This bike is Unclassed. It can be a Cat 1 by software and removing the throttle. Cat II by software restriction of power and speed.

I've been using an ebike here in PA for 6 seasons. It takes the sweat out of those long walks, especially the ones up the mountain. I'm spoiled now, couldn't even think of going a mile or two back in without the bike.

Good for getting gear in and out when I used to set a bunch of treestands.

Having back or knee problems does not make one legally handicapped. I am sure they do not run dogs in Wisconsin but they do here. Classic hunting can only be done during bow and muzzleloader season. Many of the places permit bike for a reason, its a way to allow some hunting pressure into large refuge's and minimizing impact to the environment and an abundance of hunting around the edges of the areas. I am far from lazy. I hike several miles in on most hunts where the bike cannot be use or its not practical. I have 2 herniated disks in my back but manage to still be able to do that. You may not agree with the use, but like saddle hunting has been a game changer for many people like myself. Because of people doing stupid stuff in vehicles, many large areas like state forrests that use to open gates for hunting season, now are closed off. Horseback and Bikes are the only way to access some portions. If you have ever ridden an E Bike you will know it still is a hell of a workout. And most of the time mostly human powered with the motor assisting.

I mentioned handicap or disabled. Am I missing something?

My state only allows Class 1 ebikes, which means you still have to pedal. I guess you're some kind of purist, hope you're only using a recurve. I'm guessing you've never even been on an ebike.

I know many cannot justify spending big bucks on an E-Bike. For me between the saddle and the E-Bike has been a game changer for me. I will be hunting 2 maybe 3 states this year. Virginia and North Carolina the E-Bikes are legal on public land.
As we get older, we realize we are closer to the end of our hunting days than the beginning. I say spend it to do what ever gives you the best hunting memories and experience.

I've toyed with getting an e-bike, but definitely not this year. SW Virginia has so many areas that are gated public land with some AWESOME looking terrain. Talk about getting away from the crowds!

I'm going to put this on the to-do list for next season, maybe even as early as Spring Gobbler 2023.

Back