• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best backpacks for saddle hunting?

iLOVEthehunt

I am new to saddle hunting and need to replace my backpack. I'm using a predator platform and four hawk helium sticks and want to be able to hook all of it to or carry it all in my pack. I am fairly minimalist so I don't need anything huge, but enough for my equipment plus binos, rangefinder, calls, knife, tags, etc. What backpacks do you like best for saddle hunting?

Im using an osprey stratus 24. I love it. Granted I bought it for fly fishing years ago and wasn't about to buy a camo backpack when I have a crap load of backpacks already. I'm carrying a predator platform, 3 hawk helium sticks and all the normal crap that goes up the tree with you.

Hill People Gear ‘Connor.’
e607921199c5c14af2329d8d8cb3c326.jpg

Another Kuiu vote. The ventures are awesome packs. I had one but switched to the icon pro 1850 which is the basically the same bag with different suspension and frame. This is the best pic I have of it
52b277c70a25cd7b9483d608bc534022.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you really need a camo backpack (asking, not sarcasm)? I have a hiking one that I love using and its solid black. Other than the backpack I'm all camo. Should I get a camo backpack?

Also, are you really going in with 6 sticks? Is that system with aiders? How high are you planning to go????
Hill People Gear ‘Connor.’
e607921199c5c14af2329d8d8cb3c326.jpg

I have a Kuiu Venture 2300 and love it! The Pop Up 38 has me thinking though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the pop up 38. My complaint is the material sound... everything packs nicely. I switch between climber and saddle. I was looking for sign and walked 3 miles with it and no issue with packability or weight.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Do you really need a camo backpack (asking, not sarcasm)? I have a hiking one that I love using and its solid black. Other than the backpack I'm all camo. Should I get a camo backpack?

Also, are you really going in with 6 sticks? Is that system with aiders? How high are you planning to go????

6 sticks? Sometimes. Gets me 24-25’ without aiders. Don’t care for aiders.

I've cycled through MR Treehouse, Eberlestock X2, and the Sitka Fanatic pack. From my perspective, the X2 is more versatile than the Treehouse but the Treehouse is quieter than the X2. The Fanatic pack is by far the quietest pack out there from what I've seen and it easily carries my cold weather layers inside the pack, 4 beast sticks, and a platform using the straps. I'm sold on the Fanatic pack. It also works quite well as a knee pad once in the tree.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There is no best back pack. Just the best pack for you. All of the above packs will work along with a lot off packs not mentioned. The only advice I can give you is the fact that is you chose a pack that can carry more than you need you will end up carrying more than you need.

Back