• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bullman Apex 2.0 for climbing

TreeCreep

SH Member
Is anyone planning to try these?
I’m debating a couple of these to compare to Pioneer steps , and to have some extra steps.
1676587807484.png
2 steps and 2 of the Amsteel attachments are $61.96 plus $9.99 flat rate shipping.
$19.99 for ultimate step attachment vs $4.99 for cam strap
* I got an email stating if you bought the Apex 1 for climbing ; Bullman is offering a discount on the new steps.

Not me. I will stay with my Tree Hopper steps. In the video these do not look very solid. And I would not want to try that design with aiders.

I need to dig further on the attachment method as that may be promising.

The problem with the Apex, at least for me, is its taper. Since it narrows towards the tip, my boot would slip towards the end and I’d have to adjust. I did buy a few platform steps I plan on trying this spring and hope to solve the slip issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, a quick peek at the website shows it may work well as a climbing strap and single stress point but not for a ROS.

That said, I’ll have to play with an amsteel truckers hitch, once it warms up in 3 months. As with most things though, is chasing ounces worth the hassle.

Alright, a quick peek at the website shows it may work well as a climbing strap and single stress point but not for a ROS.

That said, I’ll have to play with an amsteel truckers hitch, once it warms up in 3 months. As with most things though, is chasing ounces worth the hassle.

Let us know, but the Amsteel attachment in the video is not a truckers hitch.
A TC may work better.

Let us know, but the Amsteel attachment in the video is not a truckers hitch.
A TC may work better.

Yep. It’s just a prusik on the line. Might work fine if tensioned in a single direction but wouldn’t be tight enough for a ROS. I use an OCB right now but will try a truckers hitch when it warms up.

I had the original steps which were the same design. I'm sure they work for a ring of steps or climbing IF you use OCB or ratchet straps that get them extremely tight.

For climbing, these are very likely to suffer from the same flaw that made me sell the original design to someone that had some and wanted more.

The support being under the step solves a problem that does not exist. And I think the company is just wedded to it now for some reason. The design is to be ambidexterous ( you can put them on either side of the tree and still pretty easily have the attachment system in front of you). However, this is not a big deal to work around with regular steps. You simply setup half your steps as being for attachment to your left and the other for to the right. You then keep them separated into 2 lots somehow and pull out the appropriate one. You can still use them "backward" if you screw up or drop one, it just is slightly harder.

I had the original years ago and watched all their videos to learn how. First off, something this simple should not required watching several videos over and getting tips. That is a red flag. It's like if there was a new ice cream scooper on the market that required 30 minute training to use.

I'm 180 lbs (more when climbing a tree), athletic, and with at least average coordination and smarts and after several test climbs I just sold them. Here's what happens with them:

1. you don't get them quite tight enough or you step slightly weird (will happen sometimes when hunting...any method that requires this never to happen is suspect) and when you apply weight it just rotates away from the tree because the side hitting the tree slips
2. you have a tree that has a weird area like a concavity and the back of the step just won't contact properly no matter what you do and it just always rotates under weight
3. this is the most common thing I found, you space the steps a little too much or step too hard or have the step a little too loose....as you step the step slides down a bit as you unweight the step it rebounds up and the top of the step where it touches the tree grabs the bark and the step rotates upward......you look down after a climb and some of your steps are all wonky and you have to look forward to navigating down like that

i don't want to hurt this business, but these things are borderline dangerous

the response is "just do it perfectly right and you're ok....watch an hour of videos".....that's not sensical

Last edited:
I had the original steps which were the same design. I'm sure they work for a ring of steps or climbing IF you use OCB or ratchet straps that get them extremely tight.

For climbing, these are very likely to suffer from the same flaw that made me sell the original design to someone that had some and wanted more.

The support being under the step solves a problem that does not exist. And I think the company is just wedded to it now for some reason. The design is to be ambidexterous ( you can put them on either side of the tree and still pretty easily have the attachment system in front of you). However, this is not a big deal to work around with regular steps. You simply setup half your steps as being for attachment to your left and the other for to the right. You then keep them separated into 2 lots somehow and pull out the appropriate one. You can still use them "backward" if you screw up or drop one, it just is slightly harder.

I had the original years ago and watched all their videos to learn how. First off, something this simple should not required watching several videos over and getting tips. That is a red flag. It's like if there was a new ice cream scooper on the market that required 30 minute training to use.

I'm 180 lbs (more when climbing a tree), athletic, and with at least average coordination and smarts and after several test climbs I just sold them. Here's what happens with them:

1. you don't get them quite tight enough or you step slightly weird (will happen sometimes when hunting...any method that requires this never to happen is suspect) and when you apply weight it just rotates away from the tree because the side hitting the tree slips
2. you have a tree that has a weird area like a concavity and the back of the step just won't contact properly no matter what you do and it just always rotates under weight
3. this is the most common thing I found, you space the steps a little too much or step too hard or have the step a little too loose....as you step the step slides down a bit as you unweight the step it rebounds up and the top of the step where it touches the tree grabs the bark and the step rotates upward......you look down after a climb and some of your steps are all wonky and you have to look forward to navigating down like that

i don't want to hurt this business, but these things are borderline dangerous

the response is "just do it perfectly right and you're ok....watch an hour of videos".....that's not sensical
This is essentially my experience with all steps that don’t screw in. I tried several brands for climbing but ultimately gave it up.

This is essentially my experience with all steps that don’t screw in. I tried several brands for climbing but ultimately gave it up.

then ones that hang below the strap/cord are way better though

i won't link it for the 100th time (lol)....but a treehopper step tied with a daisy chain and trucker's hitch doesn't suffer from anything i wrote because they hang below and they just don't slide (so tight on tree).....if it wasn't so slow to tie on 12 steps it would be the only method i would ever use to climb....it just isn't practical if you are going to do several climbs to move in a day or time is of the essence (it takes me 10 to 15 minutes to tie 12 steps on the tree while being safe and quiet)

i won't link it for the 100th time (lol)....but a treehopper step tied with a daisy chain and trucker's hitch doesn't suffer from anything i wrote because they hang below and they just don't slide (so tight on tree).....if it wasn't so slow to tie on 12 steps it would be the only method i would ever use to climb....it just isn't practical if you are going to do several climbs to move in a day or time is of the essence (it takes me 10 to 15 minutes to tie 12 steps on the tree while being safe and quiet)
I like your truckers hitch method and I agree that the Treehopper steps work.
But I only use 6 steps (2lbs 10oz) and I get 12 steps high with a single step aider. Have you tried it?

But I only use 6 steps (2lbs 10oz) and I get 12 steps high with a single step aider. Have you tried it?

i've considered it, the main downside to me using steps with a 1 step aider is that it would be very difficult to get down without the aider if something happened....in comparison, with sticks and a 1 step aider i'm still fit enough to be able to grab the stick and lower myself to the next stick down in a worst case scenario.....i don't know what that would look like with steps spaced twice as far as normal

Ya if it was cold and I wanted to wear gloves I think it would be even more difficult.

Ya if it was cold and I wanted to wear gloves I think it would be even more difficult.

yeah, it's a challenge because you have to feed line through a daisy chain opening...it seems like every method gains in one area and loses in another....gotta figure out what is most important to you....i have climbed with those many times with gloves....totally do-able but you cuss a few times

I tried it and hated it. Had a bad kick out when I was stepping into the aider. I’ve come to seriously dislike aiders of any kind and I don’t use them past the bottom stick anymore.

Is anyone planning to try these?
I’m debating a couple of these to compare to Pioneer steps , and to have some extra steps.
View attachment 81787
2 steps and 2 of the Amsteel attachments are $61.96 plus $9.99 flat rate shipping.
$19.99 for ultimate step attachment vs $4.99 for cam strap
* I got an email stating if you bought the Apex 1 for climbing ; Bullman is offering a discount on the new steps.
I will have some at the Florida Saddle Hunter meet up. I haven’t tried them yet but they should be arriving by Tuesday so that I can strap them up and see how they work.

I tried it and hated it. Had a bad kick out when I was stepping into the aider. I’ve come to seriously dislike aiders of any kind and I don’t use them past the bottom stick anymore.

I think you'd also almost have to use an aider that attaches to your foot (instead of you stepping into it like a loose loop). I don't do that. I don't want my foot fastened to anything on the tree because I want to be able to kick my foot out of anything.

We will have these steps with that attachment method available at the meet up. I believe you are supposed to wrap the tree and steps twice with this particular attachment method.

yeah, it's a challenge because you have to feed line through a daisy chain opening...it seems like every method gains in one area and loses in another....gotta figure out what is most important to you....i have climbed with those many times with gloves....totally do-able but you cuss a few times
Great points. Thanks to everyone for cooling my jets on this , for now I’ll see what the FloridaMen report back with.
It’s not just about the weight / ozs.
It’s a compact option that unpacks, gets secure, climbs , releases and packs up efficiently.
Standard cams are not practical for me once it gets frosty.
( I haven’t embraced 2TC yet.)
I found the individual steps to be pretty close to bolts and I grew to like the “ reassurance” or worry of one step failing vs a stick w aider. I could also climb with my tether on weird trees but mostly went w LB.
I used 6 steps many times last year, similar to @ Geofish.
the only catch now is my favorite platform is a UP on a stick, so mostly commit to ROS or go back to a standalone platform. Sigh
Hey it’s already mid February….

Back